Ride quality -Bone Shaker or What

Hi picked up a Octavia Mk2 2.0 Tdi 2005 estate,and cant believe how bad the ride quality is .This is top of the range L+K so should be no excuse,i drive lots of cars and cant believe after all the hype how bad a ride this car is.

Every bump you feel and pot hole,shaking you to a noticable uncomfortable state.

Mondeo tdci ride (2004)and drive beats this car hands down which is what ive come from.

Road noise on the motorway and side roads is again low quality, how can anyone put up with this or do you get used to it,radio performance also not as good at speed??

If it wasnt the problem Tdci engine in the mondeo i wouldnt have changed, as for comfort im extremaly dissapointed with the car.

Its not a relaxing drive although it does handle well not sure if the passat is better but may try it as i may not be able to put up with this car.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same spec as you. For me the ride is the way you explained it. Mine was new in 2006, now has 25.000km. Problem is Sport Suspension and 17' wheels. Nothing to do. I've even changed tyres to Pirelli P Zero Rosso and road noise decreased a lot but it's still there. I've drove my friend's Elegance with same engine (2.0 TDI 140hp) but with standard suspension and 16' wheels. It's like different brand. High confort but not as safe as mine on cornering.

What tyres are on the car, roebuck? Have you checked the tyre pressures, a lot of dealers and tyre fitters have a hardon for pumping tyres up to a bazillion PSI which severely changes ride quality.

Hi its running on 17" Alloys dont get me wrong its one hell of a car top of the range and performance is something else trim levels and equipment take some beating,ive searched the country for a Octavia L+K 2.0 Tdi estate and trust me there isnt many about (so may be up for sale) ,I purchased it for my father this week on my recomendations stating they were great and they are!. Its just the sporty ride will annoy him to hell.

It has to be right for him but i think he wont like it due to this ,so i dont think this is going to be the car for him.

Edited by roebuck

17" wheels also = sport suspension, so thats why the ride is harder. The L&K standard came with 16" wheels, with the 17" and sport suspension pack as optional extras.

FWIW, my 2.0TDi elegance on 16" wheels and normal suspension is a joy to drive. I have now done 66K miles, and still have the car so it cant be to bad.

At work we have a few Mondeo ST220 and a heap of Octavias, both 2.0TDi and vRS TDi and 2.0T. All the Octavias are firmer than then ST220, as is my Vectra. The Mondeo is very softly sprung, and in fact is the only car that grounds on the speed bumps.

Hi i thought the L+K came with 17" alloys as standard but think the Elegance model would maybe have fitted the bill more or a Passat 2.0 tdi estate.

The L+K has all the gear on it Zenons ,memory seats, heated leather seats, and have read every report under the sun on them and this is why i suggested this car for him, but anyway 60k as well so reasonable mileage .

If anyone knows anyone chasing one point them in my direction.

The 2005 L&K only had 16" as standard. This model year, was basically an elegance that Skoda UK added leather and a few other bits to, there was no proper L&K at this time.

What brand/model tyre & what pressures are you running?

I've got an Elegance on 16" CSC2 & have to run them on 36psi to stiffen the ride a bit. Factory setting is stupidly low (28psi IIRC), so it might be worthwhile to go back to factory tyre pressure setting & work your way up. CSC2 have quite a soft sidewall so maybe your current tyres have hard sidewalls (like Marangonis).

Personally, I get in other cars (Astra, Corolla, Commodores, Falcons, Outlanders, Accords) & think their suspension feels quite primitive - either oversprung & underdamped (outlander); undersprung/underdamped (Accord, Commodore, Falcon); or just wrong (others).

How about this for a cure, assuming as has been suggested you have Sport suspension with your 17" wheels (are they Pegasus - smart 5 spoke?) and with 60K miles the present shock absorbers are, shall we say, past their prime -

Get a set of Koni FSD shock absorbers fitted. :thumbup:

They work wonders to soften and smooth out the ride but keep it taut and sporty when pressing on; as many a vRS owner (including myself) will attest.

Doing a search for 'FSD' will quickly provide quite a number of threads to read; have a look at this one first perhaps;- http://briskoda.net/gearbox-tyres/koni-fsd-shock-absorbers/76644/

Glad we could help.

Sports suspension is a grower, and now SWMBO loves it as she can drive like she's in an F1 race on the way to work. Takes me a while to get used to it after the works Mondeo at the weekend.

Bahnstormers advice about the Koni's is very good if the shocks have done that many miles, and should see you enjoying the car's handling.

Hi the wheels are the 17" Pegasus Alloy Wheels .

Good idea about the suspension as its a beuty of a car to give up.

What sort of money tho.

around £350 - £375 plus VAT for a set (of four) plus fitting, say £150.

Where in the country are you; ought to be able to suggest someone for you?

Well I will throw my contribution in.

I've come from a 2006 Seat Ibiza FR 1.9TDI to a 2.0TDI Elegance Octavia with DSG and the Sport Suspension.

All I can say is that the Mondeo you drive must be REALLY good, because I find the Octavia is perfect.

Having driven 50,000 miles in that Ibiza... you really do get to know about hard ride and engine noise :|

The Ibiza FR is on 17" with very low profile tyres (205/40/17) and the road noise is atrocious. The suspension on the FR is also very stiff, so the ride is really bad (but car handles REALLY well) but I dont mind it so much.

I went for an Octavia, and oh man it's whisper quiet compared to the FR (although still slightly noisy - but I don't really mind - I'm very much used to diesels)

I also have the opportunity to drive another Octavia Elegance DSG (As my Dad owns one) and I think his has 16" Alloys and ordinary suspension - and the ride in there is again, much more comfortable.

However, I think my Octy has the best balance for performance/ride quality. IMO.

Also, it would be a massive shame to give up your new car, I know I couldn't get rid of mine

Roebuck,

Welcome to Briskoda. As you have noticed by now, lots of helpful people here, and lots of useful info if you go searching.

I have to ask the obvious question (not trying to be smart or have a go at you, just being pragmatic).

I don't understand how you didn't notice all these problems when you test drove the vehicle before buying it ?

Not all cars suit everybody. Road noise is something that all Octys have (to varying degrees). Most people seem to quite like the handling.

As a number of people have suggested, check your tyre pressures, and different tyres can affect the road noise as well.

The Koni FSDs have an excellent reputation for improving the ride quality and the handling, but it is quite possible it will still feel too firm for your tastes even with FSDs fitted.

In the final analysis, if your father doesn't like the way it drives, then at least it should be easier to sell than some other models. I suggest that next time it may be more efficient to get him involved in the purchasing process slightly earlier.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi cant see me shedding £500 to change it tho but will see.

Anyway im going to take it out tomorrow and see again, If its not going to be right for him as he will want comfort, it will be sold!

Surely better to spend £500 on an improvement (remember existing shocks will be past their prime) than lose £'000s on selling and buying again.

As said by others; how do you know the sporty ride will annoy your father? Let him drive it and be the judge. :thumbup: