Is this a flywheel problem?

Hi

Bought my Octy 05 reg last year 2.0 tdi and asked the garage to check the flywheel didnt need replacing under warranty since I read it was a common fault. They said they checked and it was fine.

For the past few months I have an intermittent serious judder in the gears and pedals when pulling away in first gear, could this be the flywheel or something else?

Occasionally on my 1.9tdi unit, in 4th gear it use to shudder at 2000rpm whilst pulling from say 1700rpm.

Mine was replaced at 108k and im on 125k now, if the symptoms are bad i would be looking into having it replaced.

It had better not be on the way out. Its only done 35k! Do you think the garage never checked?

They may well have checked, and it may have been perfectly ok at that point in time. It must have driven ok when you got it, so that proves it was ok when you took delivery of the car. Failures do happen, and can happen at any time. My car is on 67K miles and still on the original clutch/flywheel.

The only reason I am dubious is because they were not truthful about how many owners their used cars have. They say all their cars only had one owner. Even the car I part exed and I was the second owner said 1 previous owner!

My car supposed to have had 1 previous and it had 2. My fault for not checking the logbook i guess.

It had better not be on the way out. Its only done 35k! Do you think the garage never checked?

My guess is they checked it by driving it. I doubt that any dealer is going to strip it down to check. They didn't find a problem at that time and as Manny pointed out, neither did you.

Sorry about your bad luck, but it is just that - bad luck:(

My guess is they checked it by driving it. I doubt that any dealer is going to strip it down to check. They didn't find a problem at that time and as Manny pointed out, neither did you.

Sorry about your bad luck, but it is just that - bad luck:(

I asked if the vin number was one of those that needed a recall, they said no.

My problem only happens once every few weeks or even longer so maybe its not the flywheel?

I am taking it to the local garage on Saturday so they can hook it up to the computer to find the fault with the cruise control so I will mention it then.

Thanks for your help guys :)

I asked if the vin number was one of those that needed a recall, they said no.

My problem only happens once every few weeks or even longer so maybe its not the flywheel?

I am taking it to the local garage on Saturday so they can hook it up to the computer to find the fault with the cruise control so I will mention it then.

Thanks for your help guys :)

My Octy was not included in the recall but I still had judder when taking up drive. It only happened a few times, mainly when stuck in traffic for long periods of time therefore it wasn't such a problem.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I had the same problem but mine was like a cement mixer like being cleaned out with gravel, Chathams in Edinburgh tried to get it done as a good will gustier but the could not.

They fitted the single flywheel clutch system and gave me an oil change all for £240

Taxi when you get yours done get them to do the same its as quiet a mouse now and I am getting even better fuel economy and it seems to have a bit more power

If you do need a flywheel give me a shout...

http://briskoda.net/items-sale/2-0-pd-dual-mass-flywheel-sachs-sale/134074/

If you need it i'm sure we can do a deal with the cruise stalk also.

Ross.

Thanks Ross, I have pmed you. Do you need a new clutch if you need to replace the flywheel?

Is it ok to get a dual mass one again and not a single mass one this time?

Why pay more for something that you will have to get replaced again in the future:confused:

Why pay more for something that you will have to get replaced again in the future:confused:

Havent they modified the DMFs now? I thought they were better than older ones?

Now I'm confused :confused:

The only reason I am dubious is because they were not truthful about how many owners their used cars have. They say all their cars only had one owner. Even the car I part exed and I was the second owner said 1 previous owner!

My car supposed to have had 1 previous and it had 2. My fault for not checking the logbook i guess.

If they sold it to you as one previous owner (eg you have an advert etc with this on) and it isn't you could give the car back as they mis-sold you the car.

FWIW as Mannyo said, flywheels are variable. He has done over 60k on the original and I've had about six in under 50k miles.

The last one was however a 3rd revision modified part (I was told) so fingers crossed it will last better than the previous ones.

Its too late now. I bought the car 10 months ago. I did keep the advert for a while but then I binned it :(

Oh well, thems the breaks.

I will call Skoda at lunch to see if it was ever recalled. Dunno if they will do anything though since its 6 months past the warranty date.

The recall was one thing to do with DMF's potentially locking up due to some regulator (I forget exactly what). However outside of the recall and completely unrelated to that mode of failure, many DMF's just go soft and can't deal with the torque the engine puts out so then start to fail more rapidly such that the wheel doesn't work as designed causing issues such as you've described.

These are just standard warranty replacements and if you approach your dealer about that they should do it under the new car warranty.

If the car is under the 3 year skoda new car warranty just go to another dealer and explain the issue assuming the dealer you currently have still says it's fine.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

Thanks Cheeze but my car is 6 months out of the warranty period :(

I'd look for a good will Gesture from Skoda UK and if not then look elsewhere for a cheaper option such as either getting an OEM spec kit fitted elsewhere.

If you are happy with having a bit more vibration for potentially higher reliability, then a single mass conversion (4 piece clutch conversion kit) is an option, but you should discuss this with your tuner/independent garage who will be able to advise you more comprehensively than I can.