Engine Management Light & vibration under acceleration

vRS_Si

Took the car for a long run today, thought it would do it some good, but seems to have made it worse :rolleyes:

I pulled off a roundabout onto the dual-carriageway and under moderate (not hard) acceleration the Engine Management light started to flash and there was a juddering through the car.

I backed off which stopped the EML flashing and I pulled over for a while and let the engine idle. No other signs of fault, the light stayed out so I set off again. Under moderate acceleration again the same thing happened. I eased off and it stopped so I continued home at a slow pace.

The car seems to be fine now, I tried again near home but couldn't get the same thing to happen, though didn't rev past 4,000rpm. The earlier symptoms remind me of a coil pack fault yet the car now seems to runs fine at low revs.

Does this sound like an early sign of a coil pack going?

Yep, had the same symptoms once on my old one, dealer did a scan and replaced the set under warranty as the car was under five years old at the time.

Thanks Gerry, think i'll be getting it on the diagnostic machine as soon as it's free then.

Just had to pop out to pick the Mrs up, and under normal driving the car behaves perfectly, even the lumpy idle seems to have sorted itself out. But under a bit of hard acceleration the same thing again, very juddery, but no EML this time.

Really does sound like a coilpack failing, one of mine went recently, and this is exactly what mine was doing, but my idle was rough too. Best way to check is when the engine is running, and the symptoms are happening, pull the connecting plug of every coilpack individually with a pair of pliers, you should hear a engine tone drop, if you don`t, that is the coilpack that has blown.

thought warranty was only 3 yr???????

As there was a known problem, all coil packs of a certain letter were supposed to have been replaced by Skoda dealers if they failed, or when the car went in for service, obviously some escaped as some cars were serviced by their owners or Indies.

Skoda dealers were, at one time just replacing all four if one failed without even asking SkodaUK, but after the five year period they had to refer each case to SkodaUK for authority to replace them.

I had one fail on my old Octy vRS years ago, and the dealer replaced all four free of charge and without even speaking to SkodaUK.

Thinking is a dangerous thing to do.....LOL

Mine is doing the same miss firing between 2/3000rpm under moderate acceleration when taken on a long run. It seems ok when driven lightly and on short drives. Changed the coil packs in oct 08 since then the warning light has stayed on code is showing that there is an open circuit on the coil pack, find this strange as i thought that it would be miss firing all the time. think it,s time to buy a new set .

• 2 weeks later...

As Si said they are cheaper to buy elsewhere and are so simple to fit it realy isn't worth paying the labour for fitting.

On another note I replaced all my L coilpacks with the Hitachi E version which are the bolt down coilpack and cost similar to the latest R's. Reason I did this is because The people that Revo'd my car said they run these on their race car and have never had one fail yet.

On another note I replaced all my L coilpacks with the Hitachi E version which are the bolt down coilpack and cost similar to the latest R's. Reason I did this is because The people that Revo'd my car said they run these on their race car and have never had one fail yet.

I would`nt mind changing all mine for these too if that`s the case then, where did you get yours from, and how much?

I got them from vagparts but their site has been playing up lately. Part number is 06B 905 115 E I must stress get the genuine VAG part which are Hitachi not the Beru aftermarket version as these are known to be unreliable. They where about £26 each.

This is them fitted:

l_b6ff590d7aa444e890556868ec2f05f4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey lads

My vrs is sounding bad I first thought it may be a spark plug kinda down on power and flashing engine light so i just parked it didnt want to do anymore damage! the engine is very jumpy. wondering if it could be one of the coil packs now!.. better get it checked out more money out of my pocket:rolleyes:

Hey lads

My vrs is sounding bad I first thought it may be a spark plug kinda down on power and flashing engine light so i just parked it didnt want to do anymore damage! the engine is very jumpy. wondering if it could be one of the coil packs now!.. better get it checked out more money out of my pocket:rolleyes:

Get a scan done and it will show up which one or two are failing or have failed.

Well just got into my vrs thismorning & tick over was a little unstable.but an pulling away it seams like the engine judders.this site is the best.im not gonna take into dealer.will change them my self.

hope it does the trick.thanks guys.

if any one can pm me with the cheapest place to buy please do

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem, coil on its way out and then spark plugs u/s, check with engine fault code reader, this will let you know which cylinder is the problem, and then change coil pack with another cylinder, if the same cylinder number shows, its the plug, if it has changed then its the coil. I hope this helps.