Could I have damaged my car by jacking it up?

As per other thread I'm tracing down a leak in my RS. It's been leaking for a while but it seems to have got a lot worse recently.

I have serviced the car, changing the brake discs & the rear inner wheel-arch liners. The wheel-arch liners stick out as a possible cause but I don't think that's the problem.

To change the brakes I jacked the car up onto 4 axle stands. Is it possible it 'bent' a little when I did this, causing it to leak more?

It depends where you placed the jack and stands, you should not have used the rear beam.

There is a 'beam' formed in the floor of the car each side, running parallel to the sills & about 100-150mm in from them. I jacked on this & also put the axle stands there.

I jacked offside Fr, nearside Fr, offside Rr, nearside Rr.

What worries me is that when I had both front sides on axle stands & jacked the rear offside the car actually lifted it's nearside wheel as well. I wasn't jacking that high (just enough to take the wheel off) & all doors etc were closed. I was surprised how 'stiff' the car was to do that.

I didn't jack on or near any suspension components & the car drives just fine. It's just that the leak seems to be a lot worse; I can't trace it & I'm just wondering why. Service? M.O.T? Just one of those things? Or maybe just the non-stop rain we've had recently!

What worries me is that when I had both front sides on axle stands & jacked the rear offside the car actually lifted it's nearside wheel as well. I wasn't jacking that high (just enough to take the wheel off) & all doors etc were closed. I was surprised how 'stiff' the car was to do that.

That means it didn't bend :rofl:.

Seriously, provided you didn't use the rear axle, and picked a good strong point, it should be ok.

If all the door gaps are still even and it drives right, stop worrying.

when I had my wheels changed the fitter in the garage said he uses the same channel as the sills are like butter! and he does the tyres on a fleet of about 50 octavias so I took his word for it. plus the front os the sills on mine have turned over as well.:(

im assuming the rear beam is the bit metal bit under the car saying "do not jack" on it,

just wondering what the implications are if you did jack from this point

You bend the beam and bugger up the rear wheel alignment.

When I jack up my car I jack up the front beneath the consoles in which the console bushes are placed and jack up the rear directly beneath the springs... not sure if these places are correct but have done it for last 12 months without any problems :D

I have to use the sill to jack my car up as I can't get my trolley jack under any further but I've noticed when jacking up the front at either side to remove the wheel the rear wheel on that side will also lift off the floor. The chassis on these octavia's do seem to be very strong which is a good thing. I always use a small piece of wood between the jack and the sills which has stopped the sill's from bending, unfortunatly the front sills have bent anyway.

the beamthat runs form one side to the other at the rear? I have had axle stands under that..... is that bad too?

Officially, yes. I reckon if you get stands at the end where the mounts are it might be OK, as it wouldn't bend the beam. Probably a question for Lummox?

when I had my wheels changed the fitter in the garage said he uses the same channel as the sills are like butter

When I had my front tyres done the fitter jacked on the sill despite me asking him not to. He bent it. His boss had to pay to have it straightened.

Looking at the design I would say that the sill probably affects the longitudinal stiffness of the car. I don't think it's there just to locate a wheel-jack. If anybody has a squashed one I think they should get it straightened.

I have to use the sill to jack my car up as I can't get my trolley jack under any further

I normally use the Skoda jack (which is shaped to fit the sill) to jack the side of the car up enough to get a trolley jack with a bit of wood right under to the proper jacking point. Bit of a chore but makes it easier in the end :thumbup:

I normally use the Skoda jack (which is shaped to fit the sill) to jack the side of the car up enough to get a trolley jack with a bit of wood right under to the proper jacking point. Bit of a chore but makes it easier in the end :thumbup:

I always assumed the sills we're the correct jacking points as thats where all the garages I've been to seem to lift the car by

Officially, yes. I reckon if you get stands at the end where the mounts are it might be OK, as it wouldn't bend the beam. Probably a question for Lummox?

I wonder if that might be cause of my weird tyre wear? But the car has done it ever since I had it. There again having examined the rear of the car, there are various indications of respray, so I wonder if it has been involved in an accident.

I managed to squash my sill doing that (that's on a 4x4 using a trolley jack). 250 quid to put right:eek:. Avoid if possible!

I managed that with the Skoda jack after it slipped.:mad:

gonna say thats indep rear sus.

I used my norm car jack and then put the stand were the lift jacks go. and put a big thick bit of rubber to protect it.

That's the thing to do.