high tickover

alickswud

often when i start the roomster 1.9 TDI it shoots up to 1500ish rpm for no reason. this is not temperature dependent, and the tickover will drop to normal levels upon touching the accelarator. it will some times do this as you are slowing for a junction as well and it's not too nice. this has been happening for a while, it began very sparodicaly but its rate of occurance is increrasing!

any one got any ideas:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Not much help I know, but I get this too.

High tick over can come back sometimes, a bit disconcerting when I lift off approaching a junction :eek: .

I've found flooring the accelerator between turning ignition on and starting prevents it from happening.

Mine (1.9tdi scout) does this as well, not often but sometimes. Typically if you approach traffic lights on the over run when you stop and slip it into neutral the tick over is 1500-2000 and you have to blip the throttle to clear it.

It was a bit disconcerting at first -2000 in neutral does not sound good!

i've decided that i'm going to take it in this afternoon and we'll see what they have to say!

i'll put the answer on here

Just seen this thread and was about to suggest a dealer visit; this car will after all be under Warranty, won't it.

as soon as i explained the problem to the dealer he said "sensor in throttle pedal" and orderd a replacement on the spot, " not seen this in a roomster before, but we have had a few fabias do this"

this seeemed to be a problem thay they were quite aware of, car is going in on tues for the replacment.:rolleyes:

Well as mentioned it is a fly by wire system meaning there is no direct link between the pedal and the actualy throttle so it's going to be down to something like the sensor or potentiometer.

It's all the same engine and kit so it makes no odds. Glad you getting it sorted :thumbup:

as soon as i explained the problem to the dealer he said "sensor in throttle pedal" and orderd a replacement on the spot, " not seen this in a roomster before, but we have had a few fabias do this"

this seeemed to be a problem thay they were quite aware of, car is going in on tues for the replacment.:rolleyes:

Well there are four times more Fabias on the road than Roomsters, so stands to reason not seen the problem on a Roomster yet; except he has now. :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...
often when i start the roomster 1.9 TDI it shoots up to 1500ish rpm for no reason. this is not temperature dependent, and the tickover will drop to normal levels upon touching the accelarator. it will some times do this as you are slowing for a junction as well and it's not too nice. this has been happening for a while, it began very sparodicaly but its rate of occurance is increrasing!

any one got any ideas:confused::confused::confused::confused:[/quote

Just taken delivery of my Roomster 1.9 with 6.5Kmls. I have the identical experience on starting from cold. Intend to get it in to dealer. Could it be an over tight thermostat coilspring connected to coldstart mechanism? As you say scary when vehicle runs away on no throttle opening.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am driving a 1.6 Petrol with automatic gear box and I think I have the same problem.

Sometimes when I am stationary at the stop lights, The RPM idles at 1000+

This inturn cause the car to vibrate. If I let go of the foot brakes, the car surge forward and the RPM lowers to normal.

If I apply the hand brakes and let go of the footbrakes, the rear of the car sinks, rpm goes to normal.

Is this the same problem?

Hi,

if you leave the automatic in drive (D) when you stop the box will try to creep forward putting the handbrake on or holding the brakes will put stress on the box, engine and brakes. when you stop and hold with brakes/ handbrake try putting it in N or P and see if the problem still occurs.

David

Nope, if I put to N or P, the RPM goes to normal.

Is that the right way to drive?

I mean at the stop light, I should shift to N or P?

I heard from my friends who drive Japanese cars, shifting to N and P while at the stoplights stress the tramission.

I've always heard it does no harm at all to put it in neutral when stopped, but is completely unnecessary. Not Park though because you always have to go through reverse to get to drive. It's best not to start the engine in Park for the same reason.

But my Roomster Tiptronic is perfectly happy to stay in Drive when stopped with the handbrake on and the tickover stays at around 750 rpm, same as it is in neutral. So I'd say you have a fault that should be looked at.

Edited by Calomax
Add words

After some testing, when at stop, high RPM, I 'toe' up the acclerator and all is well.

But I cannot keep doing that....

I'll send it in for service. Hope it does not take so long to repair.

• 2 weeks later...

i have similar, in traffic creaping (m25 rush hour etc) the idle creaps up, until i either put my toe under the accelerator pedal or blip it

i think i seemed to have eliminated the accelerator pedal, as if you keep your foot off the pedal on a flat road, release the handbrake, put it in first then bring the clutch up slowly and do that up through 2nd and 3rd without touching the accelerator the idle increases so as i do not touch the accelerator it can't be the sensor?

had this problem for about 25,000 miles (now on 68,000)

peter

sorry Peter, my Roomster is an auto

I mention the problem and the 'toe up' to the workshop and they manage to solve the problem.

They told me its due to "switch in the box behind acclerator"

The high tick over thing happened to me about 5 months ago. i took it to the dealer who replaced the sensor at the throttle and that fixed it. seems the sensors where bending (like a microswitch) and causing this happen

My Roomster Scout 1.9tdi has had a similar problem since new - when you first start and drive it is as if the throttle is sticking, and doesn't shut off all the way when you take your foot off. After a few miles it is OK. Mentioned it to the dealer at first service and they said they couldn't find anything wrong.

There obviously IS something wrong so I 'spose I better go shout at them before the warranty expires:(