Weird smell

XP3NNY

Hi guys,

Since Christmas I have this weird, almost like burning, smell coming out of my engine bay. It's coming out of something next to the turbo (clutch?). Also sometimes I when I release the clutch and accelerate then it only builds the revs, then they drop and then it starts accelerating. I think it could be clutch ... can anyone confirm that?

If it is clutch, do you know how much it is to replace it?

Thanks,

David

Does sound like the clutch is slipping. Dont know of cost to replace though.....

That's the word I was looking for ... slipping :thumbup:

Also my clutch kicks in completely at the top which I assume is another sign that it needs replacing ...

Yes definitely clutch, I had the same symptoms in my 5 about 12 months ago... it'll drive for about another 500-1k miles before it lets go I imagine.

However running it around at this point will ruin your flywheels surface and end any chance of a cheap plate+disc only change...

Yes definitely clutch, I had the same symptoms in my 5 about 12 months ago... it'll drive for about another 500-1k miles before it lets go I imagine.

However running it around at this point will ruin your flywheels surface and end any chance of a cheap plate+disc only change...

It was recommended by my friend to change flywheel together with cluch, but again I don't know much about these things. How much did it cost you?

It was recommended by my friend to change flywheel together with cluch, but again I don't know much about these things. How much did it cost you?

The parts cost me 250 quid on the bimmer, but that's because I only changed the pressure plate and friction disk - and did most of the labour myself... I imagine a garage would charge upwards of 5 hours labour + parts.

If you've got a dual mass flywheel it's going to be expensive though - for the bimmers they were 500 quid a shot!

Twas hard work and dangerous, but rewarding.

IMG_7688Medium.jpg

IMG_7681Medium.jpg

Driving with a slipping clutch for a prolonged period will destroy the flywheel, so I am not suprised. Mr Clutch are not to bad, they did a relatives citroen synergie for £230 for the clutch. A fly wheel was not needed for them because they got the clutch changed soon after it started slipping.

Drat my TDi's just gone through that, and Its got a small clutch judder, I'd better start saving up :)

I wouldn't worry so much on the clutch judder unless it gets really bad.

Sounds like Mr Clutch did a good job, keep us updated with how it goes... assuming you're 20vT is standard, yeah?

I wouldn't worry so much on the clutch judder unless it gets really bad.

Sounds like Mr Clutch did a good job, keep us updated with how it goes... assuming you're 20vT is standard, yeah?

Correct! 1.8T with remap to 194bhp.

Now I must return to Mr Clutch every 5k miles to get the clutch checked. The warranty is 20k (or 2years) so it's worth doing. Also I'll get some peace of mind :)

Does the smallprint of the warranty definitely cover non-standard power outputs and modified engines? Did Mr Clutch know it was remapped when they fitted the new unit?

If not, then some discretion may be in order here.

Hmm, glad to see you're as suspicious as I am... I wondered about that as well!

Picked up my car this evening and the change is rather pleasant. Clutch feels much more solid, however very easy to press. No burning smell anymore

You'll be pleased to know that when I had my last car Mr Clutch said they only use OEM quality parts from sachs or LuK for VW/Skoda etc.

IIRC they are the same people that make the skoda ones anyway, so it should see you well for a good while.

You'll be pleased to know that when I had my last car Mr Clutch said they only use OEM quality parts from sachs or LuK for VW/Skoda etc.

IIRC they are the same people that make the skoda ones anyway, so it should see you well for a good while.

Guy in the service said it's going to be the original clutch and flywheel which I didn't really believe, but it's good to know that it's true :thumbup: