Shall We Have A Fuel Thread ?

Supurbia

Lets all post fantastic figures so all the ppl can be fooled.....NOT!!!!!!!!

Big cars with 4 or 6 cylinder engines do NOT achieve 50mpg+ overall, I'm sick of seeing my 4.7 V8 does 32 urban and 87 on the motorway, if you can't tell the truth STFU!!!!

Superb 1

1.8 Man Urban 22mpg Xurban 30mpg

1.9 Man Urban 40mpg Xurban 48mpg

1.9 Auto Urban 28mpg Xurban 45mpg

2.5 Man Urban 25mpg Xurban 41mpg

2.5 Auto Urban 22mpg Xurban 38mpg

2.8 V6, who knows who cares, a guess says 15mpg urban, 28 Xurban.

Now, for those looking, listen to Mr wondermiles if you like, but these are the realistic figures you will achieve, if you think I'm wrong go buy a 2.8 V6 and wonder why it can't do the 78mpg others told you it would.

F**k**g websites, all the crap I read it's no wonder the garages are busy looking for non existant faults.

2.5 V6 Manual, good mix of 75% urban, 25% country lanes has averaged 32mpg over the last two weeks

Motorways it creeps to about 44 with the cruise set at 70-80, it'll go a lot further than that though if it's set to 60mph. Not verified this yet by fill up, but I wouldnt be surprised if setting the cruise at 60 will get you in the high 40's mpg...

My old 540 4.0 V8 manual used to get 20/34 on the same mix - verified by checking how much was going into it rather than relying on the on board computer.

1.9tdi Man (remapped) My week consists of 10% fast country b road, 60% motorway, then 30% busy a road traffic, ussally get around 46mpg indicated.Had a good run to my grandads from york to windsor and back the other week and got 53 mpg indicated last time. I'm lucky my commute and trips to friends are the same so fast roads all the time so get good mpg. Not worked out the actual mpg but should do really might disapoint myself tho.

Lets all post fantastic figures so all the ppl can be fooled.....NOT!!!!!!!!

Big cars with 4 or 6 cylinder engines do NOT achieve 50mpg+ overall, I'm sick of seeing my 4.7 V8 does 32 urban and 87 on the motorway, if you can't tell the truth STFU!!!!

Superb 1

1.8 Man Urban 22mpg Xurban 30mpg

1.9 Man Urban 40mpg Xurban 48mpg

1.9 Auto Urban 28mpg Xurban 45mpg

2.5 Man Urban 25mpg Xurban 41mpg

2.5 Auto Urban 22mpg Xurban 38mpg

2.8 V6, who knows who cares, a guess says 15mpg urban, 28 Xurban.

Now, for those looking, listen to Mr wondermiles if you like, but these are the realistic figures you will achieve, if you think I'm wrong go buy a 2.8 V6 and wonder why it can't do the 78mpg others told you it would.

F**k**g websites, all the crap I read it's no wonder the garages are busy looking for non existant faults.

I have the 2.5 V6 and can confirm my MPG is about as stated above. Again I am reasonably happy with this MPG bearing in mind the smooth V6 engine.

What about the 2.0 TDi? I think my book says 45ish xurban. However driving like a granny will barely get me 42mpg in the real world. (That is calculated manually, not using the "think of a number and add 5 mpg" trip computer set up.

950 miles on 63 litres of fuel? Or do you have a bigger tank?

Umm ... there's two sets of data available. Set1 which is the current info for current trip and Set2 which shows the info for the accumulated miles etc. I think it goes to about 3,000 miles and then resets. Press the button on the underside of the rh stalk briefly to toggle between the sets of data. Only Set1 resets after an hour or so, Set2 will stay in memory until you clear it (or the mileage gets to 3,000 miles.)

Umm ... there's two sets of data available. Set1 which is the current info for current trip and Set2 which shows the info for the accumulated miles etc. I think it goes to about 3,000 miles and then resets. Press the button on the underside of the rh stalk briefly to toggle between the sets of data. Only Set1 resets after an hour or so, Set2 will stay in memory until you clear it (or the mileage gets to 3,000 miles.)

Set one of the data is the whole drive time for that journey, and all the data is related to that. It resets itself when the car has been turned off for 2 hours or more. Or can be manually reset by pressing and holding the little button under the stalk.

Set two runs until 99 hours and 55 minutes, more of a longer range prediction.

The tank data / range never changes between the two different sets of date.

Sorry, I'm confused now. The 950 miles is the number of miles travelled since the last time Set2 was cleared, not the predicted range left in the tank. Basically, over the last 950 miles, the car has averaged 46.7 mpg, as I understand it. Is that not right?

Sorry, I'm confused now. The 950 miles is the number of miles travelled since the last time Set2 was cleared, not the predicted range left in the tank. Basically, over the last 950 miles, the car has averaged 46.7 mpg, as I understand it. Is that not right?

You are correct, I apologise, I misunderstood your second set of data.

On Set2 the cumulative data runs for more than 3000 miles .................. it resets to zero after every 99.99 hours total driving time.

I've always let mine run, as a rough check on long-term average mpg and, over nearly 30,000 miles now, it has usually shown somewhere between 48 - 53 mpg per 100 hours, at an average speed off 30-33 mph over 3,000 - 3,300 miles, each cycle, comprising a pretty regular mix of short/long, urban/x-urban mileage. That's for a 1.9 130PD diesel.

I know the maxidot/trip may well be a tad over-optimistic but I can't be arsed with OCD brim to brim checks and calculations. lol

HTH

Ah, I see .... that's where I got the 3,000 miles from, as I know the average mph is always somewhere around 32 or 33, so I assumed it was based on mileage traveled. My mistake.

As a new 2.5 V6 owner, I'm amazed by the achievable mpg and surprised at the claims that the engine is inefficient. That figure of 47.6 was achieved in cold weather with lights and heater going a lot of the time, and shows the average based on long trips and shorter ones from a pretty cold engine.

On the long trips, it's common to see 52 or 53 mpg by the end of the run, which is better than our 1.0 petrol Yaris manages, and that must weigh about half what the Superb weighs and has a CO2 value much lower.

Keep the engine below 2k rpm, use the engine torque and keep off the turbo and it's excellent. Compare that with a 55 Discovery owner who told me that on an 80 mph trip of several hundred miles, his 2.7 V6 turbo diesel managed 24.5 mpg, and it makes you realise how good it can be when driven gently. Mind you, if you put your foot down, that's another story .....

Well I have a 1.9TDi 130bhp Classic and a reasonably heavy right foot.

The last 1,500 miles have averaged 44mpg exactly (reported) and a fair chunk of that has been urban crawling.

On a run of 100 miles ( 25% urban, 25% a-roads, 50% motorway) I get mixed results depending on what music is being thrown from the stereo on that particular day. If it's the Prodigy or Pendulum then it's sub 48mpg. If it's something more chilled it's more like 53mpg. Have once gotten 57.8 mpg on the same run.

Like I say, they're the reported figures though and given the fact that speedos overread AND I have a Dragon box hooked up I'm guessing I can deduct roughly -10% on those figures ... on the other hand though I get +10% more fun.

Conclusion: My poor taste in music is not only bad for your ears, but for fuel economy too. If I wanted to save the planet I'd buy a Lighthouse Family CD .... but would that be a planet worth saving I wonder?

Edited by allclownsareevi

The average speed reading tells you all you need to know regarding use, anyone with a reading above 20mph has not been doing many urban miles, when it says 30mph this doesn't mean you have been doing 30mph most of the time, it's a calculation that adds up all the speeds you have been doing and devides it to reach an average, my 130 will read 24mpg @ 13mph, where if it's reading 29mpg the ave speed will have risen to 17mph and so on, driving at 70 mph for a few hours won't give you a reading of 70mph, it'll say something like 35-55mph, hope this kinda clears things up a bit.

The average speed reading tells you all you need to know regarding use, anyone with a reading above 20mph has not been doing many urban miles, when it says 30mph this doesn't mean you have been doing 30mph most of the time, it's a calculation that adds up all the speeds you have been doing and devides it to reach an average, my 130 will read 24mpg @ 13mph, where if it's reading 29mpg the ave speed will have risen to 17mph and so on, driving at 70 mph for a few hours won't give you a reading of 70mph, it'll say something like 35-55mph, hope this kinda clears things up a bit.

Sounds right to me - mine typically shows up to about 33 mpg and an average speed around 16-19mph. That's the urban commute for you.

Just one note to those who maybe don't realise - urban cycle is not the same as extra-urban cycle. Though I can't remember exactly how it's made up now.

HI

2.5TDI Tip, mpg as posted by superbia. However, thanks to the moronic Manchester town planners who seem to have populated all Manchester with speed bumps, I spend too much time in 2nd and 3rd so my about town figures come down to 17 on some days. God knows hat it does to my carbon footprint ( no comments about driving a 2.5 please )

Not wanting to start a new thread ( unless of course you have an opinion on the speed bumps ) buy they seem to onlt slow doen those of us who care about our suspensions

HI

2.5TDI Tip, mpg as posted by superbia. However, thanks to the moronic Manchester town planners who seem to have populated all Manchester with speed bumps, I spend too much time in 2nd and 3rd so my about town figures come down to 17 on some days. God knows hat it does to my carbon footprint ( no comments about driving a 2.5 please )

Not wanting to start a new thread ( unless of course you have an opinion on the speed bumps ) buy they seem to onlt slow doen those of us who care about our suspensions

Totally agree - they are a pain the a**e. Literally even if you go slow over them as I do because of my suspension. Boy racers still take them at 40mph and glide through the air for a few yards before jolting back to earth. AND another thing - I am sick and tired of people behind me being right up my backside (nearly sitting in my boot) when I take these bumps slowly. Rave over - I don't like them.

I know it's a bit smaller than a superb, but my PD140 octavia is showing 55mpg on this tank so far which is about 52mpg if you calculate it yourself.

If you drive well and do a reasonable amount of 50+ mph roads then you should be able to match or beat the published figures.

Totally agree - they are a pain the a**e. Literally even if you go slow over them as I do because of my suspension. Boy racers still take them at 40mph and glide through the air for a few yards before jolting back to earth. AND another thing - I am sick and tired of people behind me being right up my backside (nearly sitting in my boot) when I take these bumps slowly. Rave over - I don't like them.

I know one of the chief planners for MCC - manchester currently has (and has had for a while) a zero budget for road building and renewal... they have massive budgets for 'pedestrianising' areas though so when a road becomes totally knackered they can repair it under the guise of making it safer for peds by putting 20ft high speed bumps in place as they go.

It'll catch up with them in the end and bite them in the **** - the UK's roads are falling apart so badly now due to the renewal budgets being nicked for something else - it'll hit a point where there's nothing that they can do anymore apart from renew the roads... and they're all going to need doing at the same time. They're trying to beat down on off roader drivers, but if the road to our house gets any worse, I'll be trading the superb in for a landie...