Comparing vRS CR to vRS PD

Collected our new vRS CR today, trading in a 57 plate 30000 mile vRS PD.

Have to say the CR feels a lot smoother, also seems to deliver the torque much more smoothly.

Obviously the new car only has a few miles on the clock but it feels just as flexible in the higher gears as the PD did with 30000 miles on the clock ... PD took a few miles under its belt before 5th/6th could be used happily at lower speeds ... certainly could use 6th more for towing on the PD after the 10000 mile mark. Wondering what the CR will be like once it has a few miles under its belt. Will be doing its first towing trip on 20 March by which time it will have done 1000 or so miles ... will be interesting to compare the two then, the CR seems to have more torque at low revs too which should be of benefit when towing. Not that the PD was in any way lacking!

Dealer promises big things regarding mpg too. I was getting 45-48 ish with the PD, what can I expect in real world situations with the CR?

I currently getting around 38mpg although I've only done 2,500 miles.

Better than the 27mpg I got in the TFSI but probably not quite so much fun.

I currently getting around 38mpg although I've only done 2,500 miles.

Better than the 27mpg I got in the TFSI but probably not quite so much fun.

38! Hoping for better than that.

Interestingly had to make a 40 mile round trip last night in the old car ... mpg 47.9. Same trip tonight in the new car ... mpg 50.4. Hopefully this trend continues.

glad you're liking the CR. Im getting 42 long term average and about 48mpg on long runs at the moment with 4000 miles on the clock (computer figures not calculated). i think its the town stuff that kills the mpg on mine

38 and 42??? I have 48.2mpg overall average and 2900 miles on the clock, checked against refills and it is almost spot on. I get around 53 on long (36 mile) journey to wrok, all dual carriageway at 70mph crusing speed, but with hills and roundabouts, so not a steady speed, or throttle position. I have also managed to get ti down to the lower 30s, but only when running at high speeds and hard acceleration, for work purposes. Having said the couple, of such runs, are within the average fuel consumption!

Picked up new VRS CR DSG yesterday from Mansfield. Mostly motorway/dual carriageway back down to Essex, apart from a diversion to divest myself of the old Octy. About a third of the way home, decided to test out the cruise control (not present on the old car). Set it to 72-75mph (indicated) and was delighted with the results ... maxidot showed 48mpg when we got home - not bad for a car with a starting mileage of 5 thought I! Augurs well for when things have loosened up a bit.

38 and 42??? I have 48.2mpg overall average and 2900 miles on the clock, checked against refills and it is almost spot on. I get around 53 on long (36 mile) journey to wrok, all dual carriageway at 70mph crusing speed, but with hills and roundabouts, so not a steady speed, or throttle position. I have also managed to get ti down to the lower 30s, but only when running at high speeds and hard acceleration, for work purposes. Having said the couple, of such runs, are within the average fuel consumption!

i obviously have a heavier right foot than you then :D

on the other hand I do a lot of short hops between sites for work, some as small as 5 miles so it never helps my long term average. A trip to the cotswolds the other week got 49mpg on A roads with lots of overtaking and such so im quite happy with what im getting overall. (and V happy with the CR engine over my old PD 140 :D )

38! Hoping for better than that.

Interestingly had to make a 40 mile round trip last night in the old car ... mpg 47.9. Same trip tonight in the new car ... mpg 50.4. Hopefully this trend continues.

I must have a heavy right foot then. I got 50mpg coming home from work once when traffic was light.

I've found that using V-Power doesn't improve the economy either although it does the performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on this one .... now got just over 1000 miles on the clock.

Peak mpg has been 68mpg ... albeit it didn't last long! Generally getting 50+.

Now towed with the car ... I thought the PD towed well but the CR is better. The smoother power delivery is better suited to towing, 6th gear was useable (6th wasn't much use towing on the PD till after 10000 ish miles).

Very satisfied.

Quick update on this one .... now got just over 1000 miles on the clock.

Peak mpg has been 68mpg ... albeit it didn't last long! Generally getting 50+.

Now towed with the car ... I thought the PD towed well but the CR is better. The smoother power delivery is better suited to towing, 6th gear was useable (6th wasn't much use towing on the PD till after 10000 ish miles).

Very satisfied.

I'm averaging 42mpg now and that's with a mixture of longer runs and the daily drive to work, and very little caining it. How do you folks regularly get 50mpg+? I mean there are journeys where I may get 50mpg but driving like that makes me wonder why bother having a vRS in the first place?

I'm averaging 42mpg now and that's with a mixture of longer runs and the daily drive to work, and very little caining it. How do you folks regularly get 50mpg+? I mean there are journeys where I may get 50mpg but driving like that makes me wonder why bother having a vRS in the first place?

I agree!

Yes, got a very acceptable 48mpg on the first day I had it - 150 miles or so on motorway and doing 75-80mph (indicated of course!! :rolleyes:).

Since then however, the 6 mile journey to work down quiet country lanes returns 38-40mpg and on Friday night a longer M'way journey produced 45mpg (SWMBO as passenger, so definitely not going mad at all! ;) Missing the regular 50-55mpg on my 10-yr old 110bhp TD - which, with a Tuning Box, was no sluggard!

Still, only 1000 on the clock just now, so hopefully will get looser?

I agree!

Yes, got a very acceptable 48mpg on the first day I had it - 150 miles or so on motorway and doing 75-80mph (indicated of course!! :rolleyes:).

Since then however, the 6 mile journey to work down quiet country lanes returns 38-40mpg and on Friday night a longer M'way journey produced 45mpg (SWMBO as passenger, so definitely not going mad at all! ;) Missing the regular 50-55mpg on my 10-yr old 110bhp TD - which, with a Tuning Box, was no sluggard!

Still, only 1000 on the clock just now, so hopefully will get looser?

I've found on longer journeys doing a steady 82 - 85mpg that I get around 45-46mpg.

I have not been hanging about, in fact been less economy consious than I was with the old PD, yet 50 is easy to maintain.

Reasons??? Hard to pinpoint ... but maybe:

Been driving diesels since I passed my test at the end of 87 so used to their driving style.

Otherwise who knows!

I have not been hanging about, in fact been less economy consious than I was with the old PD, yet 50 is easy to maintain.

Reasons??? Hard to pinpoint ... but maybe:

Been driving diesels since I passed my test at the end of 87 so used to their driving style.

Otherwise who knows!

Well I'm using Shell V-Power and whilst the car goes well on it I don't think it you get so many mpg as with the normal stuff.

that's an impressive MPG increase. what remap do you have?
it's in his sig - "P-Torque Stage 1"

Im getting about 43mpg long term average at the mo and got 54mpg on my journey today but it was all 40 - 50mph limits which I kept to and pootled along due to our friend Brunstrom.

Ive found on the motorway that it does the same mpg at 65mph as at 75mph so dont really bother talking it too easy now like i did with my 140pd. prefer to drive it like a vrs :D

Well for what its worth.

I have a pd vrs estate - bluefinned and get 42mpg ( brim to brim method) over a 9 mile cross country commute with 14 junctions - I admit I do use the power as soon as the engine has warmed up .:D

I think the mpg is very good.

I have managed to average 50 mpg over the same distance but the car just keeps pulling on the lead and its a shame not to let it have some fun ;)

My CR has got 7k on the clock now and the mpg and performance seems to improve by the day. 50 is now the average for anything but start/stop journeys or high speed runs on the m-way.

However, we didn't buy our vRS's to compare mpg!?!?!?! - we bought them because they are a practical sports car!

I think it would be far more interesting to see how low we can get the CR's on a decent run. The best I did was 28 mpg on an early morning 10 miler on bendy hilly roads... Most pleasurable!

I think it would be far more interesting to see how low we can get the CR's on a decent run. The best I did was 28 mpg on an early morning 10 miler on bendy hilly roads... Most pleasurable!

I can beat that! 21mpg last Sunday towing my caravan against a headwind! :rofl: