Best air filter?

What is the best air filter for a 2.0 FSi? I mean one that does the biz but doesn't count as a "modification" for insurance purposes?

The Pipercross foam one is pretty good. You should tell your insurer about any modifications or you risk invalidating your policy.

NICE!,

id change insurance companies out of spite, cos that is pretty retarded.

on the airfilter though, consider the carbonio air intake. It still utilizes the standard oem system, but forces moe air through giving you much more throttle response. A filter is also included as well.

All it takes to revert to pure std is to undo the 2 torx screws on the duct and the clip then swp it at anytime.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. My concern was that the filter wasn't replaced at the last variable service (36k) and I can't believe that a piece of paper that's been sucking in gunk for that long isn't getting a bit past it.

Probably go for the Pipercross :thumbup:

wobs it depends if you car is a 2.0 tfsi or fsi (turbo or non turbo). for the non turbo the only one available at the moment is a green filter as no foam ones are available yet. but quite a few for the turbo version. The non turbo is a cylinder shaped air filter, however the turbo is a flat panel filter.

wobs it depends if you car is a 2.0 tfsi or fsi (turbo or non turbo). for the non turbo the only one available at the moment is a green filter as no foam ones are available yet. but quite a few for the turbo version. The non turbo is a cylinder shaped air filter, however the turbo is a flat panel filter.

Hmmm..I did wonder; couldn't see an obvious Pipercross for my non-turbo'd FSi.

Maybe a new OEM is the best bet.

the best filter is a new one....if you catch my drift...

... but after that I'd suggest a K&N replacement filter, not induction kit. Have a look here;- E-2014 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Why choose K&N? Have a read of this, particularly post #4, and make up your own mind; Air Induction, one more time. - GT-R Register - Official Nissan Skyline and GTR Owners Club forum

On the insurance front; If you are fitting a direct replacement for the OE filter then this, I would suggest, is not a modification nor will it invalidate your warranty.

give jkm performance a shout, Kate there was who sorted me out with mine (2.0 fsi sport) and knows im waiting for a foam one to come out (not much hope lol). but give her a shout and tell her what you after and tell her your car takes the same one as the green cylinder shape one in their display cabinet in reception :thumbup: btw they are members on here if you look down the main section of the forum.

Hi,

Sorry to hijack,

69-9756TFK - K&N 69 Series Typhoon Kits, Performance Intake Kit < Would that make use of Octavia's air intake hole?

Having the box around it get rid of most of the hot air from been sucked in, and that "flap" looks as though it would connect to Octavia's intake hole. But looking at the design of it wouldnt it take hotair from the back as the front is blocked off?

Regards

Steve

The only one you don't have to tell your insurance about is the OEM filter.

The rest of them you will have to insure your insurance as they are modifications.

Re the K&N kit you have posted, if you leave the box on and place that then that's a pointless mod as it isn't designed to work like this. The air intake on the Octy II's that I have seen all seem to pull cold air in from the front grill area, so by using that cone all you will do is take in warmer air and reduce performance.

I stand by my original advice, but if you must play then get a panel filter (k&N/Green/PiperCross) and let the ins co know.

if you got a non turbo looking at mine and that k&n above i cant see it working.. i did ask this down at jkm recently and they did try to see what they could find and the only option is to make your own. the only suggestion i can see from looking at mine is where the air gets sucked in at from the grill is to get some tubing and go straight to the air box and make a hole in the front to attached the tube to and block the other hole iniside the box in.

if you got a non turbo looking at mine and that k&n above i cant see it working.. i did ask this down at jkm recently and they did try to see what they could find and the only option is to make your own. the only suggestion i can see from looking at mine is where the air gets sucked in at from the grill is to get some tubing and go straight to the air box and make a hole in the front to attached the tube to and block the other hole iniside the box in.

That would work, or you could do the following;

Remove the airbox

Put a mushroom filter in, connected to the MAF by a straight pipe.

Make a ducting from the grill opening to point the cold air to the filter

Enclose the mushroom filter in so no hot air is sucked in from around the engine bay.

But back to the question in hand by the Original Poster, I would personally put in a pipercross filter, I told my insurance about it and they didn't charge.

It's an N/A engine without a turbo, so just using the OEM paper filters and changing them every 10k miles rather than 40-60k miles will be just fine.

Yes, that seems like a good common sense (and cheap :D solution). I'm off to the dealer for a lump of VAG paper!

Don't understand how they expect a filter to go 40k without filing up with c**P tho.

• 2 weeks later...
Would a performance air filter such as K&N Pipercross improve performance in the vRS TDI.

The air filter would have to be a standard fit in the airbox.

Very debatable point; by a couple of bhp at best, you'd not really notice it.

Yes, that seems like a good common sense (and cheap :D solution). I'm off to the dealer for a lump of VAG paper!

Don't understand how they expect a filter to go 40k without filing up with c**P tho.

I clean my green filter out every 5k and sometimes can be black. so i wouldnt really want to see one at 30k let alone 40k. Then it be interesting how performance is it nears the 40k service.

I fitted Pipercross panel filter at weekend.its a real pain to get into compared to my old mark I.Throttle response feels slightly better,no real engine tone change.Will hopefuly notice differece when i go to Star in the summer:rofl: