Software Update?

Took my car in to the dealer this lunchtime for them to re-fit my drivers door panel (it's rattling as two of the push trim clips that hold it on are only attached to the door and not the trim). Had explained to them on the phone (spoke to the service manager) what was wrong and which door it was and then confirmed it with them when I got there.

When the car was ready, the lady on the service desk read through what they had done - adjusted various bits and pieces but didn't mention the door trim.

Went out to the car, and sure enough, door trim was still loose. Showed them and they called the engineer over... "oh. Not the back door on that side then?" :eek:

Now have to order the little trim clips in and back again next Thursday. :mad:

Anyway, while I was in there, the service manager said that my car would receive a software update while it was in. He had no idea what it was for except it would take 12 minutes and would upgrade something on the car. I suggested it could be a cure for a known issue - "oh, no, couldn't be for that as they would replace parts for an issue". Couldn't be bothered to argue with him that it might be a cure for something electronic! :rolleyes:

Anyone else had a software update recently and any idea what this one might be for?

There has not been any software updates that I am aware of which concerns the 5J Fabia here in Norway. I know there is one meant for gasoline powered 12V engines in the 6Y Fabias that is supposed to take 12 minutes.

The cars in GB might be different because of the lack of DPF as standard in your cars.. ?

Does your car have parking sensors?

My dealer told me that they had received notification of a recall on all Fabias and Roomsters with parking sensors as there had been problems with the sensors beeping when they should not and not beeping when they should. Unfortunately Skoda had not yet sent my dealer the upgrade disk so they were not able to apply the software upgrade yet. They are going to call me when they receive the disks and I will arrange to call in for a 15 minute upgrade.

I have parking sensors on my car, and they are really crappy.. The function is OK only in perfect conditions. On a dry, hot day if the car hasn't been washed in a couple of days, they work OK, but if the sensors have been exposed to anything resembling water, they can't be trusted. Have changed three of the sensors, but the system still is not good enough.

Would be nice if a software update could fix this, something I seriously doubt.. I don't think the PDC ecu can be updated.

Do I take it this only applies to factory fitted sensors?

I have dealer fitted ones ( cos the dealer 'forgot to order them' - don't ask!) and they work very well - a bit loud may be but I have been impressed by their accuracy ....... so far!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone any details of the parking sensor software recall notice, reference number and the issue that is supposed to be resolved please?

The factory fitted sensors on our May 08 Fabia II have started to give trouble (won't work in the morning after over night rain or heavy dew) but we have received no recall notice form Skoda regarding this.

Chris,

Parking sensor problems are not normally a recall, just a service update item for when you pop in next for a service (you can make a special visit for the work to be done if you don't want to wait). If you contact your dealer he will give you all the information you require.

On another note...quite often if you have a problem with sensors it's a faulty sensor or poor connection. The other obvious is the sensors sometimes don't get cleaned very often! It isn't uncommon for any of these probs on any make of car.

Edited by Estate Man
Still carn't speel!

Took my car in to the dealer this lunchtime for them to re-fit my drivers door panel (it's rattling as two of the push trim clips that hold it on are only attached to the door and not the trim). Had explained to them on the phone (spoke to the service manager) what was wrong and which door it was and then confirmed it with them when I got there.

When the car was ready, the lady on the service desk read through what they had done - adjusted various bits and pieces but didn't mention the door trim.

Went out to the car, and sure enough, door trim was still loose. Showed them and they called the engineer over... "oh. Not the back door on that side then?" :eek:

Now have to order the little trim clips in and back again next Thursday. :mad:

Anyway, while I was in there, the service manager said that my car would receive a software update while it was in. He had no idea what it was for except it would take 12 minutes and would upgrade something on the car. I suggested it could be a cure for a known issue - "oh, no, couldn't be for that as they would replace parts for an issue". Couldn't be bothered to argue with him that it might be a cure for something electronic! :rolleyes:

Anyone else had a software update recently and any idea what this one might be for?

what dealer did you go to mate, they sound fantastic.....uh ;)

• 4 years later...

I don't think it applies to us in mainland UK, the URL is .ie and when you put an English reg number in it doesn't recognise it.

It might just be me but I think it's a no no.

I'm from the UK and mine worked okay....but don't know why I put it in as it's a 2014 Monte Carlo Tech! Not likely to need an update yet!!

I've got a private reg but this has been on since first registration and it just said if your car was registered after 2012 then you don't need to register as you would have received a card at delivery !!!

I didn't receive any such card that's why I thought it wasn't applicable.

It asks for a reg as well if you click on the highlighted link.

I'll try the VIN number to see if that works.

Looks like you only need to enter the reg to sign up for the "my skoda" loyalty program. I wouldn't bother with that - you can still enter a VIN to check for software update on the first page. I made up a random VIN and entered it and the system searched it - came back to say no vehicle recalls issued on that vehicle.

I put in actual proper Skoda VIN's and they came up 'no Recall',  

but then there is no recall on them, so none the wiser if it is working or not.    Someone with a car needing recall work will need to try it.

So anyone with Fabias waiting for Wiring Looms, or vRS/Fabias waiting for Heated Seat Switch or element Warranty could maybe try.