Good suspension upgrade vrs

Folks I require a little advice please!

I drive a 04 1.8t VRS. I do track days and some performance events with it in Ireland I have recently got a revo remap and a few small jobs to increase power.This unfortunetly causes massive understeer on a car which normally suffers from tis but now its very bad. It also struggles to put power down properly.

Could ye advise me on what ugrased to suspension would help sort this problem and also maybe cure some body role. I want to keep the originl whels ss I see 18" wheels draining all the power away.

I don't want to lower the car a massive amount as it sits pretty low anyhow maybe 20-25mm.

Thanks

Fugs..

kk mate

SuperPRO whishbone bushes

Powerflex Dogbone bush or superPRO if you got the money

KW v3 coilovers £1k+ or KW v1 £700+ or Weitec Hicon GT £500- same as KW v1.

Get either a 28 mm Neuspeed Rear ARB(£200ish) or the whiteline 22mm Adj (£150) one Masive handlin bonus mate....

billy

if you gonna uprate the front ARB from 19mm to the R32 one 21mm iirc then get the 28mm RARB, if not then the 22mm one i think is great. coilovers are the way to go mate if you like me n dont wanna lower too much. I only wanted to lower the front a tad as the back was a nice hight. look at cardomain mate link in my sig.

billy

I have the same set up as Claytarget. Massive improvement over the standard set up especially with a remap. Although I have powerflex wishbone bushes. Will add that the Audi S3 upper and lower braces are also a great addition to improve tighter handling.

Do the rear ARB and all the bushes, get used to that, then coilovers and set up, get used to that, then front ARB if you think you need it.

Doing too much suspension at once you'll just get lost and not know where you've started from or what you should change to get where you want to go.

Do the rear ARB and all the bushes, get used to that, then coilovers and set up, get used to that, then front ARB if you think you need it.

Doing too much suspension at once you'll just get lost and not know where you've started from or what you should change to get where you want to go.

Totally agree with this one. I did mine in stages and could work out what results worked better.

RARB is a extremely good mod on it's own, with bushes done you are going to feel no end of improvement and will be suprised on how well the car feels and handles. .

kk mate

SuperPRO whishbone bushes

Powerflex Dogbone bush or superPRO if you got the money

KW v3 coilovers £1k+ or KW v1 £700+ or Weitec Hicon GT £500- same as KW v1.

Get either a 28 mm Neuspeed Rear ARB(£200ish) or the whiteline 22mm Adj (£150) one Masive handlin bonus mate....

billy

:eek::eek: where did you see a neuspeed 28mm RARB for £200, cheapest ive seen is about £270

Ok then guys, could someone please put the S3 bits in the same priority order (bearing in mind value/price)? If you are going in stages and don't intend to upgrade the FARB (at least for a while) will the Whiteline rear suffice and will if fit on a stock vRS without issues.

Don't wanna go crazy on mine, because it's the smoothest riding car I've had. My old golf was down there on coilys and whilst it handled pretty well, it was rock hard! Also, with my car having done 125k is there something else I could do on the cheap to improve handling? Bushes etc. Just feels a little slack at times. Nothing crazy, but I'm sure she could be tightened up.

Love her to bits though!

the whiteline is ace mate and it fits on ne trouble.

i went round soe very nice curlis on way back to brawdy along the coast and went a bit too fast into some of tehm but she went round withought understeerin and thats with crappy KU712 tyres on.

for 150 its the best mod to get imho. then its the remap.

get the RARB and the bushes done mate then see what you think.

the whiteline is ace mate and it fits on ne trouble.

i went round soe very nice curlis on way back to brawdy along the coast and went a bit too fast into some of tehm but she went round withought understeerin and thats with crappy KU712 tyres on.

for 150 its the best mod to get imho. then its the remap.

get the RARB and the bushes done mate then see what you think.

Yep whiteline is a cheaper alternative to the Neuspeed item. It does not look as nice, but does the job just a well. Simple to fit and will fit on the standard VRS torsion beam. I can post some pics of fitting if need be.

lol

I like the look of the whiteline. The Neuspeed iirc doesnt hang down as they have made it to bend round the shocks and the spring bracket. the whiteline is more simple and uses a small box section and droplinks so you can see it from behind jus a tad. thats y I like it, and I wasnt prepared to spend 200+ on one that may cause oversteer when with the std front bar???

might not be correct in the oversteer bit ? open to correction.

billy

The Whiteline's adjustable; if you get oversteer, soften it off a notch. Or start on it's softest setting, and go up.

It's not like suspension always works the same way; some things that cause understeer in the dry cause oversteer in the wet, and vice versa.

yea the only thing wi the whiteline is there is 4 holes and the stiffest one doesnt go on unless you slacken the beam brackets off and connect it all up then tighten everything. I wouldnt do that thou as it puts strain on the brackets.

but the 3rd hole is plenty stiff enough. I dont know what the slacker ones are like though. lol

billy

Right thanks very much everyone. I'm thinking of maybe the following setup,

H&R springs (as they will only lower it about 15mm)

Koni FSD Dampers

Neuspeed 28mm rear ARB.

What is you opinions on this?

I have no Issue with learning the suspension as I drive a few other cars regularly, both on and ff track.

Looks good to me, and there's a limited degree of adjustment compared with serious coilovers with separate spring pre-load, ride-height, bump and rebound damping, and rear ARB stiffness settings to sort.

Ken

Just a quickie, can you confirm that these are the right details for the S3 upper and lower braces.

(Taken from Claytargets Sticky)

Front Suspention Braces

8L9 805 629 A Upper strut brace £48.60

8N0 199 403 B Lower brace £13.20

N 104 679 01 Bolts for lower brace 2x£1.14

N 909 147 01 Captive nuts 2x £2.84

Kind Regards

Garry

Ken

Just a quickie, can you confirm that these are the right details for the S3 upper and lower braces.

(Taken from Claytargets Sticky)

Front Suspention Braces

8L9 805 629 A Upper strut brace £48.60

8N0 199 403 B Lower brace £13.20

N 104 679 01 Bolts for lower brace 2x£1.14

N 909 147 01 Captive nuts 2x £2.84

Kind Regards

Garry

Those numbers are fine and are what you require. Ken the original question was asking for assistance not for your approval :mad: A little help wouldn't have gone amiss