Octy VRS or A4 TDI??

I am in the process of buying a new car and have narrowed it down to an A4 tdi or a vrs octy my head says to go for the a4 but my heart says the vrs. I already have a fair idea what the a4 is like to live but im just wondering whats the vrs like? one thing that worries me are the seats are they easy keep clean or would i need seat covers all the time ( i dont have kids if that helps:))? What sort of mpg does it get ( with and without a remap)? and are the serviving costs high? what so I look out for when im viewing one? I would be greatful for any help that anyone could give me:thumbup:

Depends what you want it for, economy of performance.

If you ask on a Skoda site I'm sure you will get a biased answer. From a my point of view the Vrs is bags of fun and looks quite nice the A4s do tend to blend into the back ground a bit unless its a sports model. I get around 31mpg on A and B roads, similar figures before the remap and the seats aren't bad but the foot wells get dirty quickly.

I'd buy the Audi if I was doing a lot of motorway journeys every week and wanted a bit of comfort, space and class. The vRS is the better choice for performance though and will probably be cheaper than the Audi (unless you get an old high mileage 1.9 Tdi A4)

Do you want to pay several grand for a badge, and through the nose for shag pile carpetted showrooms when you get a service? If so, buy the Audi.

My B7 cost the same as the equiv. spec MkII Octy with the equiv. FSSH, warrenty and condition... from an Audi dealership , you don't always pay inflated prices.

Well if you get a VRS do not remap, if you are concerned about MPG. I have gone for average of 30mpg to around 24mpg :rofl: (this is normal legal speed limit driving)

Not really bothered though as the remap transforms the car but don't be fooled by claims that it saves fuel, maybe on a diesel it would but not on the petrol turbo.

Well if you get a VRS do not remap, if you are concerned about MPG. I have gone for average of 30mpg to around 24mpg :rofl: (this is normal legal speed limit driving)

Not really bothered though as the remap transforms the car but don't be fooled by claims that it saves fuel, maybe on a diesel it would but not on the petrol turbo.

That is a complete contrast to about 99.999% of all claims I have read that mpg is unaffected and if anything is better. Is it not possible you have calculated incorrectly or just drive it quicker using the added power?

Man, you guys must drive your cars hard. I get easily 35mpg from my vRS with a mixture of town and A-road driving. I tried out a 2001 A4 estate and it was pretty good. However, was smaller inside (boot especially) and was about 1-2 years older for an equivalent priced vRS.

With all cars being a lot more reliable than they were 10 years ago, I think it makes sense to go for the newest you can afford. The engines last forever these days, it's all the ancilliary stuff like bushes and wishbones that start to go after a few years and the lifespan of these components tends to be the same across the whole VAG range.

Either way, I went for the vRS myself and am delighted with it. Get a smug feeling every time I drive past a 1.8T audi too.

ip

get the vrs :)

on a motorway i tend to get good mpg and get over 450miles to a tank, computer reads about 38MPG.

seats arent that bad to clean either although i'm thinging about having the white replaced with black leather soon :)

Man, you guys must drive your cars hard. I get easily 35mpg from my vRS with a mixture of town and A-road driving. I tried out a 2001 A4 estate and it was pretty good. However, was smaller inside (boot especially) and was about 1-2 years older for an equivalent priced vRS.

With all cars being a lot more reliable than they were 10 years ago, I think it makes sense to go for the newest you can afford. The engines last forever these days, it's all the ancilliary stuff like bushes and wishbones that start to go after a few years and the lifespan of these components tends to be the same across the whole VAG range.

Either way, I went for the vRS myself and am delighted with it. Get a smug feeling every time I drive past a 1.8T audi too.

ip

Yeah same here like you easily 35mpg.

The A4 SE will be a bit wallowy and if you're considering a vRS then they are two totally different cars. If it was an A4 Sport then I'd sway back towards the A4 (having had 2).

And the B7 A4 is just a B6 with a few tweaks and new lights :p

ain't it your own choice! just drive the two of them and the one which suits you will be obvious. as soon as i drove my vrs i was certain it was the car for me even though i was thinking its a skoda.i too get the smug feeling driving past so many of these audis and beemers etc knowing i can take them in a car nearly half the price.if you want the audi i'm also sure a skoda garage would do servicing on an audi just as good as audi for cheaper but in todays car price climate i dont think an 02 a4 is worth paying the price of an audi service for because it wont add enough value to the car.as i say the choice is yours and my next car will be the new octy vrs or a sporty A4 or A6 maybe even the new superb if they turbo a 2-2.2 ltr engine so i dont need a V6 to get it shifting.

And the B7 A4 is just a B6 with a few tweaks and new lights :p

If you think that then your mistaken. I can send you the self study programs for the B7 and the erwin docs. It's may share a lot of the B6 platform but it's had a lot of work. Nearly all the B7 engines are different to the B6 ones for a start. The visuals (interior) may look similar but that was a decision Audi took so they kept the user base happy. Look at the B8 interior..... totally different and now most customers have got used to seeing it in the A5 and A6 they're happy to filter it down to the A4.

vrs all the way thats why i have got 2 now just drive one and you will see and have not noticed any mpg diffrence at all since my re map just a lot better drive

If you think that then your mistaken. I can send you the self study programs for the B7 and the erwin docs. It's may share a lot of the B6 platform but it's had a lot of work. Nearly all the B7 engines are different to the B6 ones for a start. The visuals (interior) may look similar but that was a decision Audi took so they kept the user base happy. Look at the B8 interior..... totally different and now most customers have got used to seeing it in the A5 and A6 they're happy to filter it down to the A4.

A bit of suspension and chassis tweaking won't fool me :thumbup:

Would be interested in seeing the documentation that you have though, I'll send you a PM :thumbup:

We recently had exactly the same dilemer. Just yesterday we picked up our Jan 08 VRS PD estate with 4kon the ****! We traded our T(99) reg 1.8T A4 estate. After test driving A4s, A6's and both CR and PD VRSs we decided the car above was by far the best for our £12k budget plus £700 trade in. We were looking at 55 reg A4 Avants with 30k on the clock, and almost bought an S-Line A6 Avant until we test drove it - quite literally the slowest car i've ever driven since my Pug 309 GRD!!...

Go test drive all the options and then buy a VRS!