Guess my mpg today (and yesterday)

• Administrators

hehe nice one!

I remember doing that sort of thing in the Octy, breaking 40 was a good day :) A better day was when you'd pull over after an hour and it said 13 or so :)

My highest thus far of comp is 64.9, 40 min motorway trip, paper exercise is about 5-7mpg worse than comp.

I'm hitting about 47-49 mpg doing motorway and town driving with the car showing 7k on the clock. Best i've had so far from a full tank was 540 miles. I'm hopeing it will get even better as i do about 25-35thousand a year.

I'm hitting about 47-49 mpg doing motorway and town driving with the car showing 7k on the clock. Best i've had so far from a full tank was 540 miles. I'm hopeing it will get even better as i do about 25-35thousand a year.

The OP's car is a petrol ;)

Out of interest, have you done any manual calcs on brim-to-brim tank figures, compared with the trip computer?

Steve

I will fill up at the weekend and see, my mpg dont seem to be far off what i fill up and trip computer (click my siggy). I reckon when i fill up on Saturday it be about 40mpg to the trips 41mpg.

Earos my car is petrol as mentioned, i would love to try and get double with a tdi. On my drive today i only managed 44mpg. all winter ive managed 36-40mpg i know if the temp is above 12c and its sunny im going to get a good run. but over 22c things start to go back the opposite way.

It isnt hard to do, just forward planning read the road and what the traffic is doing ahead.

Sorry to all petrol owners who mistakenly thought I could get 47+ out of a gallon of unleaded - Just delete my post as I didn't know it was a closed forum for petrol owners only.

I was only saying what I was getting out of my car but again sorry for any confusion.

no worries, i was just proving you can get good mpg out of a petrol and to the standard of diesel if you know how :thumbup:

Except you didn't really prove that at all , sorry.

You drove like a pensioner and got up to fourtysomething mpg.

In a diesel you could drive much quicker and get the same mpg , or drive the same way as you had done and get 60 mpg

no worries, i was just proving you can get good mpg out of a petrol and to the standard of diesel if you know how :thumbup:

I would have had a petrol over the diesel but with the mileage i do and what i'll get back from my company per mile i'd need a second income to run the car.

I did average 19 mpg on a saab 9-3 petrol a few years ago and i didn't drive like a looney either :eek:

Except you didn't really prove that at all , sorry.

You drove like a pensioner and got up to fourtysomething mpg.

In a diesel you could drive much quicker and get the same mpg , or drive the same way as you had done and get 60 mpg

Nope no driving like a pensioner went with the flow and kept to the limits and didnt hang around either. i guess you drive like a loon with one foot on the brake the other on the accelerator:rolleyes:

I managed over 40mpg on each tank on my 1.8T mk1 elegance, and I didnt use super unleaded or drive like a granny.

I did find the fuel supplier used played a part, and you should use what the car likes rather than your pref. Mk1 liked Texaco. Mk2 hates it with a passion.

i have noticed after two tanks of tesco's 99 that mine prefered the vpower and was noticed just after i filled up and even more at about 150 miles into it. the tescos was alright mileage seemed ok but flat spot between 4-5k rpm. and car sounds quieter on vpower (quite rattly on tesco's). but before it turns into a war of tescos is better no shell is, this is what my car prefers and i know others on here swear by the other way round.

Pretty impressive stuff - better than my TDi! You must have driven with a very light foot!

Or you must have a heavy foot :rofl:

If I was only getting that in my TDi I'd be looking for a ******* with a syphon hose :D

D

Pretty impressive stuff - better than my TDi! You must have driven with a very light foot!
not so much light foot just plan ahead seeing a roundabout coming up and let off the accelerator slightly earlier and feather the throttle in traffic.

Well i filled up today with 34 litres of fuel and 304 miles on the clock, maxidot showing 40.6mpg and working out the above to be the same, making my overall mpg on the car go up 0.1mpg on average to 36.6mpg again.

not so much light foot just plan ahead seeing a roundabout coming up and let off the accelerator slightly earlier and feather the throttle in traffic.

Well i filled up today with 34 litres of fuel and 304 miles on the clock, maxidot showing 40.6mpg and working out the above to be the same, making my overall mpg on the car go up 0.1mpg on average to 36.6mpg again.

Filled up today with the trip computer showing 53.6mpg for the tank.

The pump failed to cut off on time and dumped a load of diesel on the forecourt but I reckon there was about 53.5 litres and I'd done 612 miles which is a tiny smidge under 52mpg

The pump failed to cut off on time and dumped a load of diesel on the forecourt

Pump 2 was it? some sod had done that at the pump today nearly sending me ar$e over tit.

Out of interest, have you done any manual calcs on brim-to-brim tank figures, compared with the trip computer?

Steve

see above, done today

If it's like most other octavias it will be at least 5% optimistic if not more.

Still , 38mpg on a tankful wouldn't be bad for a 2 litre petrol engine.

mines pretty accurate not normally more than 1-2 mpg out, on this occassion i seemed to get the same figure at the pump to what the maxidot said.

On a recent trip up to Cumbria from Oxfordshire managed 38mpg indicated with cruising at maybe slightly around NSL Would have thought 40mpg was possible if taken easier. Have also managed 42mpg on a more local trip of about 16miles, but god it was hard not using the loud pedal!

keeping to 75 all the way to cornwall last october with the car full we managed oxford to lands end on 38.5mpg, got off the M5 onto the A roads and started to lose some of the 44mpg which we had got, with a few back roads and traffic it eventually settled at 38.5mpg when we filled up at Hayle later on after lands end.

There was a report on one of the car test magazines sites on the net that said that the 2.0 fsi is the best petrol engine in the skoda range for economy and performance which made me chuff.

• 3 weeks later...

well i was aiming to get 50mpg and get 54 today :D by the time i got my phone out and set up the video to record all the stats it dropped down to 53.8mpg in 8 miles 17 mins and average speed of 32mph. ill just try figure out how to get the video off my phone, but for the moment i have this image:

dsc01516vnf.jpg

I'd seriously be suspicious of the dash pod's figure.

I'd check it with a brim fill myself. My bets are you'd be at least 10% out, likely nearer 15%

My dash pod is pretty much accurate about 1% out