Used cars more expensive than new ones

Or so Parkers say ... link

A little sensationalist in style perhaps but it got me thinking that I've seen examples of this for a while now. It's not that uncommon to see dealers advertising ex demo cars with a few options on for more than we know a new buyer could probably achieve by way of a 'normal' discount.

Perhaps the 'recession' has exacerbated the situation somewhat though and I know that my local VW dealer certainly seems to be struggling for used stock compared to the packed forecourt they usually have.

Perhaps the 'recession' has exacerbated the situation somewhat though and I know that my local VW dealer certainly seems to be struggling for used stock compared to the packed forecourt they usually have.

Could be that they are reluctant to have much in the way of used stock with the way used prices have been going.

Reading between the lines, though, my interpretation of what they're saying is that you can get a car from a car supermarket (which would be pre-registered) for less than you could get a ex-demo (which would also be pre-registered) from a main dealer. Both will likely have been test-driven before you buy it, so why one is considered 'new' when the other is thought of as 'used' is slightly beyond me... :confused:

Yes plenty of this about.

I guess it's some dealers special offers Vs other dealers normal trading prices.

So how is it then, that my wife's friend, who had to have her leg amputated at the end of last summer, goes into any of the dealers for a motability car, and the salesmen aren't in the least bit interested?

I would have thought salesmen would be fighting amongst themselves for potential customers...

With the motability the dealers only get a suppliers fee from motability and the manufatcurer than the commission they would get from a sale so there is no money in it for them as a dealer so they don't tend to break their back for the sale. It's not a recent attitude with regards to motability customers unfortunatly

Supply and demand. Spoke to one dealer at the weekend and he said used motors were difficult to come by. Drive past other dealers and all their cars for sale are on the front row with empty space behind.

Supply and demand. Spoke to one dealer at the weekend and he said used motors were difficult to come by. Drive past other dealers and all their cars for sale are on the front row with empty space behind.

A few weeks ago I spoke to the garage where I bought my Octy from. He more or less said the same thing, that he is struggling to purchase quality used cars. The reason he gave was people not buying new ones, so keeping their old cars leading to the shortage. At the moment he has been forced to sell cars at the cheaper end of the market he would normally avoid just to stay in business.

There is strong demand for quality used cars at the moment compared to new.

There's a poster on pistonheads who does auction reports and prices have been rising since about Feb.

New car sales seem to be settling at 30% below their peak meaning fewer cars coming into the used market, pushing prices up. Who's to say that new car prices won't go up, a lot, once the glut of stock is sold/managed correctly?

I did hear auction prices were on the rise because Irish traders were coming over here to buy them, taking advantage of the strong Euro to get great deals. This has shrunk the Used supply, and we all know how much over supply there is at the new stage when you see the massive car parks of new vehicles sitting at docks, secure yards etc.

Loads of it about and has been for ages.

Main dealer used area often have cars of the same or similar spec up for more than the new cars when the dealers have "special offers". Obviously these special offers are well within the bounds of a normal car sale so it's always been a little odd to comprehend how they could sell for more.

The reason I was given is that they have paid X for the car so can't easily sell for less than that and also that lots of people assume they can't afford new based on the list price and then go for the used without checking out the new deals.

Spoke to VW dealer yesterday who confirmed their used stock is down because they took a lot less in on part ex during march. Mk V GTIs particularly hard to come by, although his assumption that if I purchased one from him yesterday it would be worth more next month may have been a little hopeful.

I'm holding out for a Scirocco anyway. ;-)

I had a scirocco for 14 years excellent car....did look at the new ones...hmm not quite right for me something missing dont really know what it is........ fronts ok the rear.. well just looks like a fiat...shame

I had a scirocco for 14 years excellent car....did look at the new ones...hmm not quite right for me something missing dont really know what it is........ fronts ok the rear.. well just looks like a fiat...shame

I've no idea about the old ones as I'm too young at 27. I found myself driving a new one the other day and have gone a little bit evangelical about the thing!

I think VW have got it spot on with the overall package and price of that car. You can't fault the performance for the money bearing in mind the fuel consumption it can still return and the tax bracket. Also, the seats will go kind of flat and there are official roof bars and cycle carriers coming for those euro jaunts.

It should steal a few sales from people considering the base model Audi tt.

The rear is very Sir Mix-a-Lot.. :D

The wifes daft mate has just bought an 07 Eos 2.0 tdi sport, dsg,cruise, low miles, plus the silly luggage set for 12k, from a main dealer.

Over 25k new, less than half that for cash.

You have to know where to go to buy a used car, and who to take with you....;)

She spends half of her life eating my food, and drinking my beer, it's like living with Thelma and Louise ( she has got nice baps though......:rofl:)

My dad part ex his 3 year Renault Senic for a top of the range Zafira, he got top money for the Renault and got £8000 off the Zafira if he did the deal there and then which he did and is very happy with the new car.

Does this mean the average car buyer is dumb then if they are paying more for older, used cars than new.

Nothing like doing your homework first. It's a few years ago but I got £7k off my new Merc which bought the price down to year old used examples.

I agree that it's primarily down to the fact that people aren't aware that you can haggle on the price of a new car. They're still happy therefore to go and buy used and apparently save a few quid.

as some have said, used bargains are to be had though so it all boils down to having done your research about your chosen model so you know what you should / could be paying.