Anyone else got a vRS that doesn't like V-Power?

I started using V-Power some time ago and as soon as I started using it I started to get very lumpy and jerky running when cold. I thought this was a coincidence at the time but after getting caught short yesterday and filling up with Sainsbury's SUL like magic the problem is gone!

When the car is warm its fine on both but I just thought it was strange that on V-Power I get poor running until its up to temperature.

My old Labrador (RIP) would only eat cheap dog food, could it be that my car has the same personality trait? :rofl: Anyone else get weird running with certain fuels?

Was it just the one tank of v-power? if not did it all come from the same place. I had a similar problem which turned out to be attached to a particular petrol station. The same fuel from different outlets was fine. I put it down to contaminated fuel and gave the place a miss for a few months.

Was it just the one tank of v-power? if not did it all come from the same place. I had a similar problem which turned out to be attached to a particular petrol station. The same fuel from different outlets was fine. I put it down to contaminated fuel and gave the place a miss for a few months.

Nope, ran it on the stuff for a year and it was lumpy for the first few minutes from day 1. This morning after filling up with SUL on the weekend it was smooth as silk!

Its fine once its warm so I'll probably stick to V-Power but I just thought it was odd!

it usually takes a good 20 miles for the new fuel to start taking any effect and 100-200 for it to really take any hold. The full tank after that tank is gone will show how it will react to it.

i think it also has to do with the way someone drives it too. Ive found many people on here swear by vpower, a few by tesco 99 (and a lot who dont) and some just stick in any 95 gunk. Has your car been tuned at all? just wondered if it was tuned with something else and thats why it acts as it does with vpower?

Nope car is completely standard.

The only fuels I've tried are:

Shell/BP/Sainsbury's - Regular 95 - Ran fine, maybe a tiny bit less responsive

Sainsbury's SUL (97) - Ran fine, excellent performance

V-Power - Lumpy when cold but excellent performance

After filling up with SUL I did 29 miles but the engine was already warm so I expected it to be smooth, the next day though I was pleasantly surprised when I didn't get the usual *brab brab brab brab* to the engine for the first minute or so :P

Done 120 miles since filling up now, still seems good. Whilst the car is mapped for 98 as standard I might stick with Sainsbury's SUL, even though it is only 97, for a while as the car seems to like it.

Just a thought but Octavia's are set up to run rich by altering the ignition and valve timing on a cold start aren't they? Maybe my one is altering it too much on 99 RON fuel?

mine vRS dislikes V-power as it does Tesco 99 it jerks and hesitates like a pig!:thumbdwn:

I only use Esso Super unleaded and it's a smooth as silk and i get better MPG on it.

mine has a revo stage one remap and can on long runs on the motorway give me 40+ MPG

my average is 36MPG and I don't treat it with kidd gloves!:eek:

Maybe a case of budget car like budget fuel :D :D

Its got Scottish roots like its owner :D

220 miles since filling up now. No smutty splats on the rear bumper that I normally get and after a spirited drive tonight I can confirm that the old girl is well on form :D

Edited by lordrobs

my octy vrs runs lots better on super unleaded than normal unleaded,there doesnt appear to be much differance on v power or the tesco 99,it picks up much better & accelerates better so i dont use normal unleaded unless i have know choice!:) mine runs the same from cold on either fuel,sometimes fine other times lumpy as owt until air pump stops!

Done 120 miles since filling up now, still seems good. Whilst the car is mapped for 98 as standard I might stick with Sainsbury's SUL, even though it is only 97, for a while as the car seems to like it.

I do know what you mean, I find sainsburys stuff pretty good.

I "think" it's better on tescos 99 though :rolleyes:

mmm

I posted something on one like this a few week ago about what fuels mine likes/ dis likes and ate which states of tune lol.

mine has always run well on all fuels bar the BP Ultimate. (was rough as nailes)

has always been ok on 95 rons with std map and generic ones too.

now with the custom map it is no good on the 95 ron but is good on sainsburys 97 and vpower is the best!

tesco 99 is ok but a tad rough.

mmmm

wierd int it?

billy

I do know what you mean, I find sainsburys stuff pretty good.

I "think" it's better on tescos 99 though :rolleyes:

I agree there, the 99 is not as nice as sainsburys 97, the tesco 97 is good too. I used it when i needed it in H/west as they dont do 99 there for some reason lol.

billy

Its got Scottish roots like its owner :D

220 miles since filling up now. No smutty splats on the rear bumper that I normally get and after a spirited drive tonight I can confirm that the old girl is well on form :D

Good stuff...

I'm yet to run mine on Vpower... will be doing on me next tank :) will let you all know how she behaves :)

ive used vpower since day 1 :thumbup: and touch wood, ive had no trouble

i did get the option of a 98ron program with my remap so i just keep with vpower now ?

its either working or breaking it lol:rofl: i live nye on next to a shell garage so it does prove to be handy that my car isnt a fussy bugger :rolleyes: