Roomster engine chipping!

Salut

Not as desparate as the title suggests!!

I am considering having the engine 'chipped'. I know that some forum users have used the Dragon kit, however, wonder if anyone has had the engine chipped?

Queries are, how much; fuel consumption changes; cost.

Many thanks

The 1.9 pd is a good mapper and there are many maps available for the engine, any one of the site sponsors should be able to help. You can also get a Bluefin product from Superchips meaning you can remove their map when you want.

I had our Roomster 1.9 pdi remapped by Will at Performance Torque in January 2009.

The process took an hour, and included before and after dynanometer runs which showed remapped power peaking at 165bhp at 3800rpm and torque peaking at 260lbft at 2800rpm.

The engine immediately felt as if it could breathe better, was quieter and had much more 'grunt'.

I told Will that I was after more torque with maintained economy rather than maximum power, and am very happy with the result.

While the car is certainly faster off the mark, it's the ability to merely touch the throttle to overtake, while still regularly achieving well over 50mpg, that brings a smile!

My previous car was chipped by Oettinger when new, and was sold after 10 years and over 100k miles without any engine issues. Will showed that he knows a lot about remapping, and I was pleased to find him (and his reasonable pricing).

My habit is to change oil every 6k miles, as I think that Manufacturers extended oil change intervals are more about selling than helping towards long engine life.

I have always declared the modification to my insurers, and have no difficulty in obtaining comprehensive cover at a reasonable price.

I had a Roomster 2 1.9 TDi I used to own remapped by the supplying main dealer. They used a Revo stage 1 map, which made the car appreciably quicker, without much effect on fuel consumption. I seem to recall it was around £300. I also purchased a switch to turn it on and off at will, although for obvious reasons it was "on" more than "off" :D

The supplying dealer told me the map would have no impact on the manufacturers warranty, although I did have my doubts at the time. I also found my current insurer had little flexibility with regards to remapped cars.

It WILL void your warranty regarding many engine related components. If your getting it through a dealer then any warranty would be held with them not Skoda.

Would you not consider a tuning box as well, easy to remove and would prob get a 20-30bhp gain, as I have one on my Fabia vRS at present and will be removing this and installing to the roomster I plan to get next year.

Davy

Many thanks for all your commenst and advice. I am going for a Superchips deal with Dyno Demon in Neston, Wirral.

I shall be keeping a check on performance/mpg so will keep you informed in due course. I have figures from last years motoring-these will enable a fair comparison too.

• 2 weeks later...

At last the job is done. The new figures are 150.8hp / 248 ftlbs.

Due to commitments I have not had the car out for a longer run, but around town fuel consumption figures are better than before. I am running a brim to brim comparison so, shall be able to pass on meaningful figures. I have this weekend off and intend some motoring...

In the meantime, the Roomy feels chirpier on the road and when needed picks up quickly and smoothly.

The total deal was £391.00 (inc vat). Insurance is plus £65.00, not too bad either.

No there are maps available for N/A petrols but they will only give you a marginal increase in power and for the money the cost it's probably not worth it

• 1 year later...

No there are maps available for N/A petrols but they will only give you a marginal increase in power and for the money the cost it's probably not worth it

Yup. Thanks. What about a new intake and filter? Should I change the exhaust too?

Yup. Thanks. What about a new intake and filter? Should I change the exhaust too?

Hi Jeff.

Great to read your findings with remapping and tuning. Reading the comments on here has convinced me that its a waste of money for the 1.6 tdi. Also the little hidden Skoda warrentee issues and the insurance increase good advice.

Thanks Guys.

JD

Hi Jeff.

Great to read your findings with remapping and tuning. Reading the comments on here has convinced me that its a waste of money for the 1.6 tdi. Also the little hidden Skoda warrentee issues and the insurance increase good advice.

Thanks Guys.

JD

Uhhh a lot of the advice is regarding the 1.6 N/A petrol. THere are few tuning products out for th 1.6 CR ATM

Uhhh a lot of the advice is regarding the 1.6 N/A petrol. THere are few tuning products out for th 1.6 CR ATM

Hello Decron

Have found a few companies that seem to be able to supply a upgrade turbo for diesels and do a lot of engine work if required but my boy racer days are long gone.

Some in Norfolk that have a rolling road, which I concluded was the best way to proceed to get more MPG and reduce turbo lag. But it was the insurance and warranty advice that I am thankful for, did not think a remap would be cause for the insurance companies to get more of our pennies.

Again thank you for an interesting topic.

JD<br><b><br></b><u><b>I have been told that a increase of 10 BHP will not effect our insurance premium, but if the tune goes over that then its priced on the cost of improvements and increased BHP.  </b><br></u><br>

Edited by JDW

Hello Decron

Have found a few companies that seem to be able to supply a upgrade turbo for diesels and do a lot of engine work if required but my boy racer days are long gone.

Some in Norfolk that have a rolling road, which I concluded was the best way to proceed to get more MPG and reduce turbo lag. But it was the insurance and warranty advice that I am thankful for, did not think a remap would be cause for the insurance companies to get more of our pennies.

Again thank you for an interesting topic.

JD

Footie.

My oldie insurance company has confirmed that the underwriters are rubbing hands together on a remap... Cannot see how reducing fuel consumption and reducing turbo lag is a Stage tune. emoticon-0124-worried.gif