What is it based on

Hello peoples,

I know the mark1 was based on a passat, but a mate of mine said b*****s it's based more on the A6, after looking at a new passat and A4 there might be some truth in that.

What i find strange is that the comparable A6 came to over £ 39,000 well that's where i stopped and it still didn't have all the spec of my superb2 and that was retail £25.500 go figure:confused:

Clarkson may be right for once:rofl:

mountainman

Both Superb II and Passat CC are on the Passat platform,and the Passat platform is in fact a Golf V platform.

To be more precise:Skoda Superb II is created on the PQ46 platform(shared with Passat and Passat CC),which is a lengthened version of the PQ35 platform(Golf 5,Golf 6,Audi A3,Seat Leon,Seat Altea,Audi TT,VW Eos,Tiguan,Scirocco,Audi Q3 etc.).

Both Superb II and Passat CC are on the Passat platform,and the Passat platform is in fact a Golf V platform.

To be more precise:Skoda Superb II is created on the PQ46 platform(shared with Passat and Passat CC),which is a lengthened version of the PQ35 platform(Golf 5,Golf 6,Audi A3,Seat Leon,Seat Altea,Audi TT,VW Eos,Tiguan,Scirocco,Audi Q3 etc.).

It's not exactly the same as the Passat's though is it as the Superb's wheelbase is about 5cm longer?

:DBelieve it or not.

New superb is B6 -- it is based on A5 platform --same of Octavia II.

Actually it is designed by stretching the B & C pillers of the Octavia II.

This is the simple reason why you can find many of th einternal parts having the same part nos.:thumbup:

Believe it or not.

The designation "B6" is used to identify the "Typ 8E" Audi A4/S4 produced from late 2000 to 2005. The platform used by these models is known as the PL46 platform.=>B6=PL46

Confusingly, the current generations of Volkswagen's Passat are colloquially referred to as "B6", given that they are Volkswagen's 6th generation midsized sedan. However this model uses the PQ46 platform for its sixth generation, a slightly enlarged version of the Golf Mk5 and Jetta Mk5's PQ35 platform(also named A5 platform).

In conclusion,the new superb is not B6(it is based on the Passat B6 platform,but the Passat is not based on the B6-PL46 platform,it's just a confusion).It is based on the Octavia II platform,but that one is the PQ35,and the Superb II/Passat platform is a enlarged version of it.

• 10 years later...

Sorry to dig up a old thread but I've been looking for answers along these lines. As they share the "same" platform does this also include front his set ups and brakes? As when I bought my coilovers they gent I spoke to said that that set up fits over 400 different cars and the only reason I asked was because fit actully said seat Leon on the Bilstein box.

Golf mk 5 and everything based on it (Octavia 2, Leon, A3, TT) is PQ35. Superb 2 is PQ46 which is a stretched and widened PQ35. Stuff at the corners is basically the same: geometry may vary a little depending on model.

3 hours ago, chimaera said:

Golf mk 5 and everything based on it (Octavia 2, Leon, A3, TT) is PQ35. Superb 2 is PQ46 which is a stretched and widened PQ35. Stuff at the corners is basically the same: geometry may vary a little depending on model.

Both the Golf mk5 and the facelift mk6 use the PQ35 platform and as you mention the Superb 2 uses the stretched version PQ46.  For me the closest match available Haynes manual for the Superb II has been the "VW GOLF 2009 to 2012 (58 to 62 reg) Petrol and Diesel" which covers my 1.4tsi engine really well and also has the 1.6CR and 2.0CR diesel engines shown. Brakes and suspension etc very similar indeed.

Edited by bigjohn

14 hours ago, chimaera said:

Thanks, I do understand that it is a stretched out version I'm just trying to find hard evidence that the brake kits that are available for the Golf and octavia are compatible with the superb. I'm 99% sure at the moment, as I've cross referenced brake disc for the V6 superb and S3 and they are the same in every way. Getting closer boys.