Skoda Octavia vRS - new dampers with the original springs - NEED YOU ADVICE

Hi guys,

I have a BIG dilemma and I come to you looking for some good advice. I drive my Octy vRS 2002 and have come across damper problems. I have had an upper (February), lower and flat bars (March) fitted. Two weeks ago my card was serviced by a Skoda Dealer and since then it does drive as it used to. It could be a coinsidence, but that would be for a second time. The car bounces a bit, it is rather soft and it does respond well to the steering wheel. It supposed be more stiff. If you let the steering wheel go it is kind of woobly. I was told that this is caused by the faulty dampers or the fact that they can not co-operate with the stress bars very well. Hence, I am looking for the best dampers solution that would work fine with the original spings.

I was also tols that dampers of KW, Eibach, Bilstein would be OK.

I would be very grateful for any suggestion , especially from experience.

Many thanks,

Yaro

The Koni FSD's are designed to work with standard springs but will tolerate lowered springs AFAIK.

Cobra do a cheap sports damper specific to the Vrs but i don't know anyone that has tried them.

Thanks for the reply. I would not like to go for Koni. They are quite expensive and seem to be problematic on some vRS

Quite expensive, but excellent both around town and at the more 'spirited' end of things... I've got the FSDs on my 2002 vRS with original springs, no problems whatsoever and a big improvement on the original dampers. I think the problems you refer to concern the fitment of the FSDs with Eibach springs, if you're still on original springs then this won't be an issue.

jazz, many thanks for sharing you experience. What is the mileage on you vRS? Well, I heard and read info about problems of Koni FSDs in combination with Eibach springs. I also come across a post from someone who fitted Koni on the original spings and did not like the way the a car was driving. What about cutting corners, behaviour of your vRS on roundabouts etc. Is Koni still that good?

The problems I have with my 'baby' is that she is not stable, I feel a bit of vibrations when driving and it does not absord bad road surface very well. A technician, who had a test drive, told me that there is nothing wrong , but she is not the same. She is not stiff and I do not feel in control when hold the steering wheel. Could the possible problem be with something else????

have a look at the whishbone bushes mate, they might be buggered lol.

If they are either get the tt solid bushes or go superPRO poly ones, (dont go powerflex) youll find out why if you search.

just put the wheel on full lock and give stuff a tug or get it on stands and do the same.

all the best mate

billy

jazz, many thanks for sharing you experience. What is the mileage on you vRS? Well, I heard and read info about problems of Koni FSDs in combination with Eibach springs. I also come across a post from someone who fitted Koni on the original spings and did not like the way the a car was driving. What about cutting corners, behaviour of your vRS on roundabouts etc. Is Koni still that good?

The problems I have with my 'baby' is that she is not stable, I feel a bit of vibrations when driving and it does not absord bad road surface very well. A technician, who had a test drive, told me that there is nothing wrong , but she is not the same. She is not stiff and I do not feel in control when hold the steering wheel. Could the possible problem be with something else????

Just hit 45,000 miles. I changed the dampers as my fronts had worn out - 45k was a little early for manufacturers shocks to fail I felt, though I wasn't too upset as I have to drive around the worst roads that London has to offer with a whole load of music equipment in the boot. I wanted to use it as a chance to upgrade the set, rather than replace fronts like for like with shocks that still don't do a good enough job on the car.

And as I drive on poor roads with a load in the boot, I wanted to keep comfort levels around the same - but I also need a bit of 'fulfilment' every now and then to keep it interesting!

Hence I read up and read up about the FSDs, got them fitted, and have been very pleased with them ever since. They are expensive, but I've had them on for a 1000 miles or so and I believe they're worth every penny. They can be a little crashy on potholes and rough surfaces - though less so than the originals, and anyway this is a heavy car (1000kg over the front axle alone!) on 17" wheels, so without a swap to 16" alloys (something I've been considering for a long while and still am) ride comfort will always be a bit of a compromise.

I think Koni have done a great job with these shocks, the overall effect is smoother than the Skoda-damped ride and when you push on into corners they really do tighten up... I don't even have any anti-rolll bar at the back as yet (the RARB is on the to-do list :) ), just superpro wishbone bushes at the front, and the improvement in handling and vehicle composure really is noticeable at all kinds of cornering speeds... Roundabouts are more enjoyable than ever, the FSDs do have a kind of 'floaty' quality to them, but after a while you learn this and they actually provide good feedback IMHO. I'll bet the RARB will complement these nicely when I can afford it...

I reckon claytarget_god is onto something here too, the front end was all over the place when my wishbone bushes had given up - pulled left, then sometimes right, and was generally very unsure of itself. Maybe get these checked first, if they are gone then the change to superpros will be a VERY pleasant surprise! Car feels much more planted with them on, steering more direct, and actually a bit of road feel enters the equation.

If it is your dampers that are the problem, then I highly recommend the FSDs. As you seem to have a few anti-roll bars/strut braces already on, I reckon with them on you'd have a tidy handling car that won't knock your teeth out every time you hit a pothole :thumbup:

Hope my experience is of use to you :)

Cheers

Sam

Guys,

I am thankful to for all comments and suggestions. They are very valuable. I have already been to three palces to have my car checked. Only in the third ( I went there this morning ) they hit the nail on the head in terms of a diagnose. It confirms that you guys have already said. I have problems with shocks, wishbone bushes. I have already ordered Koni FSDs following your advise from experience jazz lol and wishbone bushes from PowerFlex. I was bit frightened when clay said that they are not good. But then cheered up when it was cleared up by marti. Thanks for that. I have also ordered top mounts and bearings just to make sure all is properly done. All bars I have fitted are at front. I said the names as I heard them :-). As you jazz I have not had RARB fitted but I shall consider it when I save up a bit. I have something to spend my money on at the moment, anyway.

Again , many thanks for helping folks.

Best

Yaro

also mate

while you there you could get the superPRO or Powerflex anti role bare bushes. they are easy to change and do make the front end role a slight bit less. (19mm ones)

I have the SuperPRO bushes on mine as I have heard bad things about the PowerFLEX ones poping out. But I have not heard anything on them sorting it as they didnt change them for years. Mind I also think its down to how you drive your car too, spose any bush could pop out.

end of the day mate Im sure youll find a massive diff in the cars handling with the bushes and FSD's

It is a good idea to change the top mounts and bushes, saves doing them later on lol. and for the sake of £25 ish you might as well.

if I was you mate Id def get the Rear ARB. either £150 for the 22mm adj whiteline from BALANCE motorsport or Awsome GTI. or a 25/28mm neuspeed one. that will be over £200 though and i think the 22mm one is perfectly fine unless you get a larger front ARB.

all the best mate

Billy

Just one more short question I forgot to ask. If you do a custom remap, as I did a few months ago do you normaly replace an engine dog bone mount? What does it depend on?

Many thanks

About PowerFlex bushes, marti said earlier on this post that they have been modified now. When I called today to order I was told that they will be made to my order. So , maybe something has changed? :-)

nope

not normally.

the std one is soft and lets the engine rock so you get the banging noise when wheelspinning.

I went powerflex for this as its cheaper from them and it firms it up keeping the engine more rigid so the gear changes are bit nicer and the engine doesnt move as much when you try put too much power out.

it is simple to do, and reduces wheel hop, and allows you to get the power on the road more. it doesnt eliminate it all to gether though.

if you still on the std one Id get it done as iirc its around £15 for it.

the noise in the cabin will be loud though for a while thoen it beds in and you get used to it. also the engine vibration is more pronounced too till it beds in takes around 500-1000 mile ish to get used to it and bed in.

billy

About PowerFlex bushes, marti said earlier on this post that they have been modified now. When I called today to order I was told that they will be made to my order. So , maybe something has changed? :-)

dont know mate, at the time I was warned off them as FATTY5000 who is in cardiff were I was showed me a pic of his and they didnt look to sit right as they were in 2 parts. were the sPRO ones are only a single part.

Pflex needed to change the design as it waws not that good IMO so maybe they have taken the advice and finally done it.

billy

Where did you get your superPRO anti role bar bushes? Do you refer to mount or link bushes? I am sorry I am not that tech. Do you suggest 19mm ones?

Many thanks

dont know mate, at the time I was warned off them as FATTY5000 who is in cardiff were I was showed me a pic of his and they didnt look to sit right as they were in 2 parts. were the sPRO ones are only a single part.

Pflex needed to change the design as it waws not that good IMO so maybe they have taken the advice and finally done it.

billy

Well i think they changed them, i think i remember lummox saying they had changed????

Fatty posted in this thread http://briskoda.net/octavia-i/superpro-powerflex/136420/

I would fit as per second picture if i were you.

yea thats them lol.

make sure if they are like that in 2 parts that the larger one goes to the bottom. lol

I dont think there is a right and a wrong way to fit them but looks like the bigger lip one should go to the bottom for some reason.

You should not need new bolts. The three ball joint bolts can get quite seized and i had 2 out of 3 snap on me when i did my wheel bearing. They should be ok if you use plenty of penetrating oil.