Has Anyone Ever Had A Knee Operation, few questions

ben-vrs

After an examination with the doctor yesterday, ive gotta have an operation on my knee to repair cartilige (sp) damage, dont know all the details

just wondered if anyone knew what sort of length of operation i might be looking at, hospital stay etc??

and what sort of recovery time (time off work, on crutches etc) i might be looking at??

i know all this will vary from person to person, but just wondered what experiences people had?

cheers

Have managed to avoid knee operations although my kness are shot. They have definately got better with the taking of Glucosamine Sulphate. I know that doent help you much, but I thought I would post this and offer my sympathies as those I know who have had such ops never say they were fun or pain free...sorry. :o

I'm waiting for a knee operation, badly torn medial meniscus :thumbdwn:

Had an arthroscopy before - so I can safely say that it will be a day job. You will be home for the evening. Once the anaesthetic wears off if is a touch painful to walk on, give it a couple/three days and it will still be difficult to walk but a lot easier. Probably best not to drive for at least a week or two.

However, when all is said and done it depends on the individual.

Good luck :thumbup:

Well if you want long term healing, I ruptured an achilles tendon..or rather my youngest rode her bike into it and ruptured it for me. Anyway, NHS options were surgery, or allow rest and allow to hopefully heal itself as the rupture wasnt total.

Anyway, I took the hope for natural healing and also had some acupuncture.

Eventually it has more or less healed, although still sore and gets tight and this after nearly 3 years.

They have definately got better with the taking of Glucosamine Sulphate.

I'll second that - got arthritis in both knees but much better now on the 1500mg :eek: of GS per day. Only staving off the inevitable though.... :(

Last time I was at the docs she nonchalently mentioned having my knees replaced in 10 to 15 years time....

I have a feeling I'll need an op in later life - I'm only 25 but since wrenching my right knee ligament at primary school, it cracks away merrily, and I'm sure won't remain intact that long :( I can make it crack just sitting still - stupid!

Andy? That good stuff for joints and stuff? I was thinking of nothing stronger than cod liver oil! Yuck. ;)

I have a feeling I'll need an op in later life - I'm only 25 but since wrenching my right knee ligament at primary school' date=' it cracks away merrily, and I'm sure won't remain intact that long :( I can make it crack just sitting still - stupid!

Andy? That good stuff for joints and stuff? I was thinking of nothing stronger than cod liver oil! Yuck. ;)[/quote']

I did a search with Google when I was looking at it, and it looked very interesting. It has made a difference, and its no placebo effect either.

Had similar ops on both my knees (ligament repair and removal of chipped off pieces of bone) and i'm due to have another one in october.

The prognosis....2 weeks off work and at least a week on crutches :thumbdwn:

It can be a bit sore too!

After an examination with the doctor yesterday' date=' ive gotta have an operation on my knee to repair cartilige (sp) damage, dont know all the details

just wondered if anyone knew what sort of length of operation i might be looking at, hospital stay etc??

and what sort of recovery time (time off work, on crutches etc) i might be looking at??

i know all this will vary from person to person, but just wondered what experiences people had?

cheers[/quote']

Ben I had an op last year for damaged cartilage on my right knee. The knee was very painful so I got it done through Bupa as I have bupa cover at work. They did it a few weeks after reporting it and going through an MRI scan. I went to hospital (London Bridge Private Hospital) and stayed there 3 nights as my leg was in a massive bandage, this was all done via keyhole surgery (Have 3 tiny little scare on my leg now).

The last day I started psyhio on my leg which I had to do upto a few months after the op. I was off work for 3 weeks I think it was as I couldn't walk on it and for a few weeks it had to be elevated so no fluid got trapped in it, I did have a pair of crutches to use as well for the 3 weeks but had to get on my own feet after about 2 1/2 weeks.

After the 3rd week I went back to work but was told I WAS NOT allowed to lift anything heavy for a about 6 -12 months.

The knee doesn't hurt anymore but I get the odd clicking sound from it and the other one is wearing as well so that's going to have to be done soon I think. This was all down to running loads and getting fit a few years back when I used to run 4k every other day.

Had six ops on my knee so far.

Cartlidge is normally a day job. Once they have you up and about on crutches you go home.

I buggered my knee up mountain biking in 98. I was in hospital for two weeks, on crutches for 12 months and had physio for two years. They can do great things for knees now. I only have a slight a limp.

My G/f mum had exactly that op, went in the morning to hospital and was out by midday. They seemed to do the op as if it were a factory, loads of people waiting for the same one and seemed like you just took a number. She was home and hobbling that day and recovered very quickly.