New Skodas - No spare wheel

I recently ordered a new Roomster SE (1.6 manual) that the April 2009 brochure shows as having a space-saving spare wheel.

During the sales discussion I chanced to mention my dislike of this type of spare wheel. I was then warned that Skoda had advised dealerships that, in future, new vehicles would have NO spare wheel as standard. Instead there would be a tyre-repair kit as provided previously only on the Fabia "Greenline" model.

Now, I really loath the tyre-repair kit/no spare-wheel philosophy and I was not a happy chappie to learn that Skoda had adopted this approach. Fortunately for me, when one of the salesman checked further he discovered a follow-up message from Skoda that had just arrived. This revealed that a buyer could opt for a 'full size steel' spare wheel, or a space-saving one, at an extra cost of £40 for either type. Naturally I chose the former and, because I seem to be unusually unlucky when it comes to flat tyres, I also selected the £85 Tyre Pressure Monitor option. (Yes, I know it's a lot to pay for a software twiddle and a switch, but, from what I've heard and read, at least it seems to detect a deflating tyre fairly effectively.)

I gained from the Skoda sales staff the impression that the 'No Spare Wheel' policy would apply to all Skoda cars irrespective of model, but I can't swear I've got that right. I also don't know if a buyer can opt for a 'full size steel' wheel (rather than a space-saver) on every model, or whether the £40 option-price applies across all the Skoda ranges.

(Sadly I'm having to post this via my local library's internet facility as my own elderly home-computer's prehistoric software inhibits me from doing so. Consequently, although I shall be able to read any future follow-up comments BriSkoda forum members may wish to make, it's unlikely that I shall be able to respond.)

Hopefully you will be able to engage in conversation with us Derek even if you use a public computer. Just before getting onto the subject, I hear that T Mobile are throwing in a free lap top with their broadband.

Anyway another member (I think it was Skofast) mentioned that all Skodas will come without a spare from the the middle of the year and be replaced with the goo can. I wasn't aware that you could opt for a wheel at extra cost but this is what I would do for sure, especially at that minimal cost. I don't know whether this policy is due to weight pruning to meet emissions regs or is just cheapskate. Try a search here using "spare wheel" for more info.:thumbup::

In year 2006, I got my Roomster with spare wheel and tyre repair kit (air compressor + flat tyre kit).

Spare wheel is a must for me, especially on surprisefull Turkish roads :D

A lot of manufacturers are now doing away with a spare. Its something I'm dubious about too as I'd prefer a full size spare and not a get me home or can of foam.

Although I have heard something about the tyre pressure monitors. They now prevent you from rotating the wheels as the sensor still thinks the wheels in the same corner and hasnt adjusted.

A tyre fitter was telling me this as it's the case on some/early BMWs with the pressure sensors.

One point to bear in mind is that the 'space saver' referred to in the brochure is in fact a full size 14" road wheel with proper size tyre and NOT one of these super skinny truly space saving wheels.

On the Octavia, for example, the 'space saver' is a 16" steel wheel with a 205/55 16 tyre; there is IIRC a proportionally smaller spare in our Roomster (one year old).

Overall though I agree that these cans of gunk are worthless and a 'spare wheel' ( of whatever size is a must).

PS> this subject is clearly emotive and has also recently been debated on the Octavia II part of the forum.

A lot of manufacturers are now doing away with a spare. Its something I'm dubious about too as I'd prefer a full size spare and not a get me home or can of foam.

Although I have heard something about the tyre pressure monitors. They now prevent you from rotating the wheels as the sensor still thinks the wheels in the same corner and hasnt adjusted.

A tyre fitter was telling me this as it's the case on some/early BMWs with the pressure sensors.

The Skoda system doesn't use pressure sensors in the wheel. It uses the ABS sensors to detect the change in rotation speed of the wheel as deflation causes the rolling circumference to change

I hope spare wheels coontinue to be offered at least as options. The only time I have had to change a wheel in recent years was because of burst sidewalls due to sideswiping kerbs or similar. The repair kits would do nothing for those.

I share the dislike of the no-spare approach.

Our Roomie's fitted with the Tyre Pressure Monitor and I was initially a bit sceptical, but expereince has proved it works and is a valuable upgrade.

My local dealer always orders a spare wheel as a matter of course, so all new Skodas here in Guernsey have a spare wheel.

Edited by Calomax
typo

Tyre pressure monitors are fine extra to help safety and save a drop off fuel but they don't stop you getting a puncture. No spare wheel and you have to use the foam aerosol to get home or wherever but you still have to repair the punctured tyre. Problem is once you use the foam the tyre is non repairable and the will cost £40 - £70 for a new one, a darn site more than the £12 for a repair.

Tyre pressure monitors are fine extra to help safety and save a drop off fuel but they don't stop you getting a puncture. No spare wheel and you have to use the foam aerosol to get home or wherever but you still have to repair the punctured tyre. Problem is once you use the foam the tyre is non repairable and the will cost £40 - £70 for a new one, a darn site more than the £12 for a repair.

Nearer £100 if michelins fitted!

This is indeed weird cost-reduction policy of VAG - the buyer is supposed fo pay extra for something as obvious as a spare wheel.

Tyre repair kit is OK on a small city car with little luggage space, but they don't put the spare wheel as standard even in the Touareg. Now, one can only wonder how much use will the repair kit be when you go off-road and have a flat tyre.

This is indeed weird cost-reduction policy of VAG - the buyer is supposed fo pay extra for something as obvious as a spare wheel.

You sound like my dad! I remember him ranting like that when he bought a car that didn't have a starting handle - "How will I start the bl00dy thing in winter when the battery is flat..."

Technology moves on in mysterious ways creating new grumpy old men from yesterday's youth :D:D:D:D:D:D

Technology moves on in mysterious ways creating new grumpy old men from yesterday's youth :D:D:D:D:D:D

Technology had probably then moved on enough so a starting handle wasn't really needed, and cars could be bump started if necessary. But I don't think it's moved on enough now to prevent a burst tyre if you hit a kerb or similar, nor to have to chuck away an otherwise perfectly good tyre which has picked up a nail because the foam prevents it being repaired.

Tyre repair kit is OK on a small city car with little luggage space, but they don't put the spare wheel as standard even in the Touareg. Now, one can only wonder how much use will the repair kit be when you go off-road and have a flat tyre.

How will the mums on the school run cope? :rofl:

I don't think it's moved on enough now to prevent a burst tyre if you hit a kerb or similar, nor to have to chuck away an otherwise perfectly good tyre which has picked up a nail because the foam prevents it being repaired.

Do the spareless Skodas not have run-flat tyres?

Do the spareless Skodas not have run-flat tyres?

NO: they do not have run-flat tyres! and heaven forbid they ever will.

From my reading of info on them (run-flat tyres) they have two huge disadvantages; 1. their ride is horrible, due to the extra solid rubber inj the sidewall to allow them to run flat on, and 2. they cost about 30% more than a regular tyre of the same size. :eek:

VAG cars don't have pressure sensors, they use the ABS sensor to monitor the circumference of the wheel, so you could rotate tyres then reset the monitor and it would be fine.

You sound like my dad! I remember him ranting like that when he bought a car that didn't have a starting handle - "How will I start the bl00dy thing in winter when the battery is flat..."

Now, consider this: you have a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere (70 miles to the nearest city), and it is winter (-15 C). Something that really happened to me when I travelled in my former Golf to Russia. I had a spare wheel, thankfully.

Run-flat tyres might be a solution, but they only last for 80 km or so when damaged. And just like tyres filled with jelly from the repair kit, Run-flat cannot be repaired - you just have to throw it away and buy a new one.

Not too be forgotton with space sazing spare tyres is the fact that the flat tyres don't fit back into the well.

Our new shape Yaris has one (space saver) and we got a flat tyre on holiday. Luckily we had unpacked the car by then, but the flat tyre has to go in the boot/cabin as they don't fit in the well due to the smaller circumference!

That would be when having both the can and a tyre would be useful in my opinion.

Hello,

Son-in-law who works in the tyre trade, tells me that there will be a tyre available in this country sometime, where it doesn't rely on air to stay inflated.

No inner tube, and not a tubeless tyre either.

Aparrently the tyre when in manufacture has a host of little air pockets trapped inside.

If any pocket/s are punctured, because there are so many, the stability is unaffected, and the road-holding is not felt.

You can just imagine the police using a "Stinger" to deflate the tyres of a speeding motorist, with the car not braking, nor swerving to avoid ??? the mind boggles.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

When I bought my 2005 Fabia VRS, from new, Skoda had a full sized steel wheel & tyre as a spare, whereas the road wheels were alloy.

The steel wheel had a speed restriction of 30 MPH with a bright yellow sticker on it stating speed.

I first asked Skoda, then the tyre trade, and both said, there is no reason for this speed restriction, and later I placed this tyre on a spare alloy wheel I purchased.

I will say the Fabia VRS alloy wheel sits higher in the rear wheel well, but is more convenient for me.

Ian. 03/06/2009 :eek:

Edited by giandougl

Had something similar to that non-pnuematic tyre on a mountain bike some years ago.

Basically got fed up with punctures and this solid tyre was fitted to my bike. Downside is that you can't change pressures for different terrain. I can see same problem with the use in cars, fully loaded v's empty. It was fine for a while, and I certainly didn't miss having to avoid glass or thorns, but after a year of abuse it never quite sat properly as there wasn't any air pressure to keep it in place.

It isn't a difficult concept, just think of it like a rubber aero or crunchie