vRS Interim oil change

After seeing 5Litre tub of VAG spec oil in my local car shop for £25 which was 1/2 price, I was wondering if there was any benefit for an interim oil change. I have done 7k miles since my last service and according to the computer I got another 6k miles til my next service.

Any idea?

BTW I have a petrol version...not the Devils Fuel one! :D

Despite the more common view that most have on here, I still decided to do interim services so mine got changed at 7k and I'll be doing another at 14k. I have always doubled up the amount of recommended oil changes on a cars service schedule and the fact that my cars are always 'enhanced' (remaps etc) gives me peace of mind.

Lee

:iagree:

Mine's on variable and went to nearly 20K on it's first sump-full, so I am deffo thinking of an interim oil and filter change at 30K. Anyone know what that will do to the 'interval between services' indicator? Presumably the oil quality sensor will appreciate the cleaner oil and extend the interval..?

Again on variable servicing, I still feel that 18K is too long between oil changes.

I will probably carry out an oil change at the 9K point myself, and then back to the dealer at the 18K mark.

When running on the devil's fuel, the oil does not look very good after a very short period of time.

Cheers guys.

14-20k on old oil just seems a bit long for me, so for the sake of £25 I'm just gunna do it. Lets face it, It can do any harm! - Unless I cross thread the sump plug! :rofl:

Edited by JustinCider
Coz mi speeling is rubissh

:iagree:

Mine's on variable and went to nearly 20K on it's first sump-full, so I am deffo thinking of an interim oil and filter change at 30K. Anyone know what that will do to the 'interval between services' indicator? Presumably the oil quality sensor will appreciate the cleaner oil and extend the interval..?

On Variable on a TDI i change the oil at about 9 to 10k miles.

You do not need to touch the service indicator as it will at worse just go up to maximum interval at 18.5k and since you have clean oil in that's a none issue.

I pella pump the oil out and take out the filter, then pella out the oil from the filter chamber and oil cooler under that.

Put in a new OEM oil filter and then fill the car with the correct oil.

No getting under the car and it is much much cleaner when it comes out of the car at the main service at the dealer.

HTH

I was going down this route myself and two dealers have told me just leave it on Variable and "have faith in VW" all the cars on Variable they see are always fine and I then went on to say type of lower milage driving i do "not a problem we see taxis all fine etc etc". And it would just be a waste of my cash.

The 2ed dealer was the owner/service manager and he seemed to know his onions but I'm not so sure!

James.

My A3 did 24k on a variable. I think that's a bit long, it was an awful lot quieter on new oil.

I bet it was mate!

I wouldn't have had the minerals to leave it that long!

I thought changing the oil every 6k on my 2.0 Turbo Astra Coupe made it sound quieter!

I dont think this oil quality sensor exists, I reckon it just calculates how long till the service by how the car is driven, i.e. if its doing 70mph down the motorway it leaves longer till the service than if it been thrashed down some twisty B road

so next time some one does a interm oil change on variable, lets see if the mileage goes back up :)

There IS an oil quality sensor in the octy, this alone is used to calculate when a service is due. Driving style influences the stress and quality of the oil so they also play a part.

My car is on variable servicing, and just had its 4th oil change at 75K miles, the courtesy car was also on variable and had 160K on the clock having had just 8 oil changes so far in its life. Following the VAG oil change intervals, nothing has gone wrong with my car and unlike most 2.0PD TDis, mine is still on its original turbo at 75K miles. To me the extra oil change is an unneccsary extra that I have so far managed without.

havent seat just lowered their service regimes from variable to 10k (or was i dreaming it), they're all VAG engines arent they

They may well have, getting the extra revenue through the dealerships is quiet handy in these tight financial times. Audi, VW and Skoda are still variable as standard.

I'd say that it is worth buying the oil at a bargain price anyway. You will definitely get through it even if, like me, you don't do interim changes. I find my vrs drinks oil for fun and get through a couple of litres of the stuff between services.

First time in many years that i've had a car that needs me to do oil top ups at less than 10k frequency. See the other threads r.e. oil consumption on vrs. I'm on petrol btw.

I'd say that it is worth buying the oil at a bargain price anyway. You will definitely get through it even if, like me, you don't do interim changes. I find my vrs drinks oil for fun and get through a couple of litres of the stuff between services.

First time in many years that i've had a car that needs me to do oil top ups at less than 10k frequency. See the other threads r.e. oil consumption on vrs. I'm on petrol btw.

Very true, both this vRS and my previous MkII vRS use between 1 & 2 litres between services. In fact they used to leave a litre bottle in the boot for me.

I dont think this oil quality sensor exists, I reckon it just calculates how long till the service by how the car is driven, i.e. if its doing 70mph down the motorway it leaves longer till the service than if it been thrashed down some twisty B road

so next time some one does a interm oil change on variable, lets see if the mileage goes back up :)

It doesn't it won't ever go past maximum mileage that was set.

I will have a look and see if the oil quality metrics before and after change though as I'm due one in a couple of thousand miles.

I think there is actually a sensor in the MK II, but obviously if they don't change then there is no sensor that directly measures the values..