high mile 2 litre dsg fsi as a towcar

looking at a high mile 2.0fsi estate with the dsg gearbox(2006 car) as a possible purchase.

the car is an l an k and in great condition. just wondering what this car/box are like as a tow vehicle. caravan is 4 berth, modern and quite lightweight. let me know - still listed at £4600 - but with the 140k miles. seems good value - just tow ability ???

Hi, I would be fairly sure that if your talking about a 2.0ltr petrol engine, that it is not a "DSG" gearbox, it should be a conventional "tiptronic" automatic gearbox. If its a 2.0ltr Diesel, it will be a DSG. These are two completely different gearboxes, do not be misled by a salesman.

Don't know about the engine or gearbox, but if it's done 140K in three years it's either been droning effortllessly down the motorway (good) or hacking around town as a taxi (bad).

Hello,

I think we have been looking at the same car 'miles above in london' ?? if so did you have a look? possibly going to see it this weekend, wondering if any problems spotted?

thanks a lot - so if it is a tiptronic - how does it tow? the ad is obviously wrong, the car, as you say is petrol!

I'd avoid a tiptronic for towing; its all too easy for the torque converter (provides the 'slip' when changing gear) to overheat. Traditional auto gearboxes (tiptronic is one) often need upspecing with a oil cooler when used for towing.

If you specifically want a car for towing and want an Octavia, I'd look for a 2.0L TDI manual (loads of torque) or perhaps one with a DSG gearbox, which is really an automated manual. Both these are though likely to cost a fair bit more than £4,600.

Good luck.

I had a test drive in the car from 'milesabove' today, it is the tiptronic 6 speed(?) from the display (do all DSG cars have a DSG badge on the gear lever?), very nice car but think I'll be sticking to a manual box.:D