F****** tyres!

In December/January I moved from 205/50s to 225/45s with a set of four brand new Proxes. The fronts are now virtually bald. To say that I'm unhappy would be an understatement. I do not drive like a tool and even if I did, I can't have covered more than about 5k! I broke my ankle 3.5mths ago and the car didn't even get driven for two mths of the 7 or so that the tyres have been on!

Suffice it to say, I won't be buying Proxes again. My last Golf was treated to Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s which were bloody expensive, but felt great and I reckon would've lasted a lot longer. That said, I never got the chance to see them all the way through.

So..... I'm after recommendations (based on personal experience preferably) for a tyre that gives goodish performance AND lasts. I know it'll be a compromise, but I'd rather they last longer than be the ultimate in performance and I probably won't consider F1s on the basis of noise. I presume the sensible thing is to move my rears to the front, as they still have plenty of tread. Finally, as I'm only getting two, I might be able to be a tiny bit flexible on a more expensive tyre, but bear in mind the Proxes were £280 for four.

Thanks guys.......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always have your best tyres on the back, so no, don't move them around. If you were going to rotate them then you should have done that at around 50% of the wear.

mmmm

if you are looking for good tyres then Marangoni Mythos were good for me, I had them on my mk R32 18" rims and they lasted 20k there abouts and were very grippy and not that noisy really for 18s

are the ones you got on the TR1s?

I was gonna get the proxes tr1 next as they are sposed to be ace but if they only last a few thow then never mind lol

Always have your best tyres on the back, so no, don't move them around. If you were going to rotate them then you should have done that at around 50% of the wear.

That's what I thought, so I would want to put the new pair on the back and switch my Proxes to the front.

I didn't check for 50% wear tbh because I wasn't expected to have to do that until at least now. All of a sudden, I have no tyres left!

Yes Billy, they're the T1-Rs. They're were very grippy and I was pleased with noise levels and general performance (and of course the price). I am, however, distinctly unimpressed with the wear rate :mad:

At the moment, considering Ultrac Sessantas and something Michelin.....

I had some Yokohama AVS Sports in 205/50/17 on my old vrs and they last more than 20k and that included quite a bit of spirited driving, the only downsides were slightly more noise, cost and usual poor grip in very cold temperatures, I moved to 225/45/17 Toyo Proxies from them and really didn't like them but needed something cheap on to sell the car with.

I'm now on the Kuhmo KU31's in a 205/55/16, very comfy/quiet and cheap with very good road holding a wear, however on SWMBO's fabia vRS 205/45/16 the same tyres are very noisy.

Right then I might be of use in this thread!

I used too do around 6-7k miles a year around the North Wales bends, and I used too purchase some of the very best tyres. In the last 2 years of vRS owning I've used the F1's which didn't last very well, but performed pretty highly, then I had some P-Zeros as they also came highly recommended, again very good performance that lasted better than the F1's but still not great. Now I do around 13k a year and I wasn't overly fussed in buying the best as motorway milage was the norm.

I ended up purchasing the 452's that people on most car forums rave about, and in doing so found a absolute corker of a tyre! They grip and perform just about in the same league as the other two, but 10k miles later I've only used around 2mm of tread, and that included a good 3k of Welsh twisty driving. Also there great in the wet!

So for me it's got too be the Falken 452's, though I do believe they are more expensive these days.

Interesting.....

My Dad has a 110 Mk1 wagon and he has just had four Ecstas fitted to his 16s which he seems to like. KU31s make the shortlist.

I've also "heard" about the 452s and thus far, have not been persuaded, but they now also make the shortlist. Thanks guys.

My local tyre place tried to sell my AVS sports in December and decided against in the end because of cost. However, the chap there said they were less noisy than F1s on his BMW by some considerable margin.

Not so keen on Marangoni, as I have less to go on. But if a whole bunch of people here raved, perhaps they'd make the shortlist.

Off to do some work and get some prices later on!

lol

ne probs, Dont think many have used the Marangonis, they came as a package so wasnt fussed but found them to be very nice. so I went for them again. I also liked the look of them. I am gonna get themagain on the new rims too plus they are around 90 each fitted.

JCB

that is what I try and do too. so long as they dont fall apart and get me at least 18k I am happy.

With regards to the best on the back??? I swap mine round so that the best ois on the front, to try even them up? then I get all 4 in a oner.

I just had 2 Hankook Evo 12's got a good price (£159 fitted) and they seem OK so far. not sone a lot of miles yet though, but they did place 2nd overall in the latest German tyre tests. I was going to go for the Ultracs as I have one on the front that looks ace and grips well but the cheapest I could get them was £95 each and thats in the 205/50/17 size

I had Pirelli P6000's on the back when I bought mine, they were quite worn (about 3mm) but still managed another 13k miles (including some punishment at the Ring) before they got down to 2mm. Got Kumho KU31s on there now, will probably also put those on the front when the time comes.

Interesting - I've just put four of these on two weeks ago! :eek:

225/45/17 T1-R

I did read a thread on here about the possibility of "grey" imports, or non EU tyres? Could that be a factor?

So far, amazing grip (well scrubbed after 900 miles), so I should be pencilling in a new set for August/September? :rotz:

Will be very disappointed if I get similar results to yourself - there seems to be so many recommendations countered by warnings with tyres - bit of of lucky dip!

In December/January I moved from 205/50s to 225/45s with a set of four brand new Proxes. The fronts are now virtually bald. To say that I'm unhappy would be an understatement. I do not drive like a tool and even if I did, I can't have covered more than about 5k! I broke my ankle 3.5mths ago and the car didn't even get driven for two mths of the 7 or so that the tyres have been on!

Suffice it to say, I won't be buying Proxes again. My last Golf was treated to Michelin Pilot Exalto 2s which were bloody expensive, but felt great and I reckon would've lasted a lot longer. That said, I never got the chance to see them all the way through.

So..... I'm after recommendations (based on personal experience preferably) for a tyre that gives goodish performance AND lasts. I know it'll be a compromise, but I'd rather they last longer than be the ultimate in performance and I probably won't consider F1s on the basis of noise. I presume the sensible thing is to move my rears to the front, as they still have plenty of tread. Finally, as I'm only getting two, I might be able to be a tiny bit flexible on a more expensive tyre, but bear in mind the Proxes were £280 for four.

Thanks guys.......

Guest westallc

im in need of new front tyres not sure what to get now

either falken 452 or toyo t1r

i do most of my driving on motorway with a bit of spirited driving now and again;)

what do you think

i dont want it dead in 5k would the falken be harder wearing than the toyo but still give a good amount of grip when pushing hard????

please help me out here guys cant afford tyres every few months lol :thumbup:

I just had 2 Hankook Evo 12's got a good price (£159 fitted) and they seem OK so far. not sone a lot of miles yet though, but they did place 2nd overall in the latest German tyre tests. I was going to go for the Ultracs as I have one on the front that looks ace and grips well but the cheapest I could get them was £95 each and thats in the 205/50/17 size

I assume this: 2009 Auto Zeitung Summer Test at tyre reviews - the online tyre guide

is the test you're referring to. Makes very interesting reading. I suppose the problem with tyres is that like so many things everyone has an opinion. The Toyos did grip pretty well I thought, but the wear rate is completely unacceptable. Now, is it possible that my car is to blame for that? Well yeah, possibly. But I won't know that until I put the other pair of Proxes on the front and wait 6 mths! They are worn evenly and haven't given me any cause for concern since they were fitted.

The Hankooks do look to be an interesting proposition. What's confusing me, is that on Camskill, they're even cheaper than the Proxes! WTF?!

I suppose F1 As are where it's at, given the well-publicised EVO test and the consenus on MKIVs, but they are more expensive and they are widely-reported problems with noise and more often than that poor wear. After my experience with the Toyos, wear is of particular importance with the next pair I buy.

What's very interesting about the German tyre test, is that they use a car our size with similar dynamics, size and power. It doesn't often get lucky with independant tyre tests.

Ok, so the all important bit - price :D

Shortlisted are the following (prices from Camskill - open to challenge):

Michelin Pilot Sport 2s (favourites with R32OC and some UKMKIVs owners) - £101

Goodyear F1 As (again popular with the MKIVs crowd and EVO readers) - £92.90

or - £83.30 with 91 load rating instead of 94 XL. Would someone mind explaining this to me?

Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas (only bad stuff I can find is ride quality and perhaps they're a little to performance biased compromise for my needs) - £81.30

T1-Rs (won't be buying, but here for price comparison purposes) - £71.10

Falken 452s - £67.20

Hankook Ventus V12 Evos - £61.90

Kumho KU31 Ecsta - £56.50

So what do people think of that now? Given the pricing and tyre test rating combo, the Hankooks are looking VERY attractive right now. The 452s are cheaper than T1-Rs. Of course, most places I look people specifically compare the Sessantas directly with the 452s and say they are a definite upgrade :confused:

Thoughts?

Based on what you say, I'd have to think there's something wrong with the tyres you had, or with your car's suspension alignment/geometry. I must have had at least 6 pairs of T1-Rs and never got a wear rate like that! And they've always got a fair bit of stick. I know everyone's usage will be different, but if you say you're not heavy fotted, there's an issue there. It's worth dropping a line to Toyo UK and giving them information about the tyres you currently have fitted.

Looking forward, you're clearly put off Toyos again, which I can understand. So I would consider Kumho KU31s (as already suggested), Falken FK452s (ditto and I currently run up front). But also Vredstein Ultrac Sessantas and F1 Asymmetrics (which I believe are quieter than the F1-GSD3s they replace).

Steve

I'd agree with Steve (Fronts changed after 16_000, rears presently on 24_000). I rarely even see a dual cabbageway, never mind an m/way, and my biggest problem with brakes is that they rust up due to lack of use!

Calll me a cheapskate, but I always buy the cheapest available tyres!!

Cheapskate

What I want too know is where too get 4 T1Rs for £280.

Mine last about 8-10 k roughly

Kuhmos lasted 5k through the wwinter which they should last longer as its icy/wet

i'm going to buy new tyres this time and cant decide between FALKEN 452 and VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA. wear rate being impotant to me as im off to europe to clock up 5k miles in 2 weeks and dont want to have used them all up in one go, got 452 on at the moment and have got 13k out off them and want to know how the vred would compare.

i'm going to buy new tyres this time and cant decide between FALKEN 452 and VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA. wear rate being impotant to me as im off to europe to clock up 5k miles in 2 weeks and dont want to have used them all up in one go, got 452 on at the moment and have got 13k out off them and want to know how the vred would compare.

It would seem from the research I've done that the 452s will likely have a better wear rate, as the Vreds are more performance orientated and therefore will probably have a compromised wear rate when compared with the 452s. Don't quote me though ;)

Fatty, I got my Proxes from Camskill. They've obviously gone up slightly!

Steve, you make an interesting point and I'm not going to dismiss it. I don't however, think that there's anything wrong with my geometry etc. Of course, I won't know that for sure until I try another pair of tyres on the front to see if I get the same results.

Three options here that I can see:

1) Switch the remaining Proxes to the front and see what happens. Of course the risk there is that if they're a bad batch I'll get the same results. Which potentially might not confirm whether it's Proxes as a whole, my particular Proxes, or my car/driving.

2) Put something harder wearing (probably Michelins) straight on the front and hope that sorts it. With this, if there is something wrong with my driving/car, I've wasted bigger money on a premium tyre.

3) Buy something cheap and stick it straight on the front. If it wears the same as the Proxes, it doesn't really prove anything either way if it wears quickly I haven't wasted a load of money. If it wears better than the Proxes - winner.

What do you think to that?

I'd still be questioning why this happened with your particular set of Proxes and ask Toyo UK about it. If this were a common issue, you'd certainly have seen it on here by now - there's quite a few running T1-Rs :)

In your position, I would get the geometry checked and then choose another brand as I'd be put off, same as you, with picking T1-Rs again. I presume you're experienced even wear across both of the worn tyres?

I would not go for a more expensive or cheaper tyre but pick something else around the T1-R price point - which still leaves you with KU-31s, 452s, Ultracs etc :)

Steve

I'd still be questioning why this happened with your particular set of Proxes and ask Toyo UK about it. If this were a common issue, you'd certainly have seen it on here by now - there's quite a few running T1-Rs :)

In your position, I would get the geometry checked and then choose another brand as I'd be put off, same as you, with picking T1-Rs again. I presume you're experienced even wear across both of the worn tyres?

I would not go for a more expensive or cheaper tyre but pick something else around the T1-R price point - which still leaves you with KU-31s, 452s, Ultracs etc :)

Steve

Right, I've emailed Toyo, although I'm not sure what I'm expecting them to do about it. They have worn totally evenly and I would've thought that a geometry problem would preclude that possibility, but I'm far from an expert. The next problem is gonna be where do I find a decent place to check my geometry down here :confused:

Is anybody else thinking the Hankooks seem a bit of a bargain in light of the tyre test and their price? As much as I fancy trying the Sessantas, they are a lot of money and I'm worried by the time I spend out on alignment etc. and fitting it'll easily be the wrong side of £200. Not to mention the Hankooks seem to be better rated than the Vreds and a lot of other things.