Clutch judder

Evening all

I have never been happy with the clutch on my 2004 Passat TDi. I've been convinced since day 1 that the DMF is dying but the dealer insisted that it's fine. I also commented on clutch judder however they took it out on a test drive with me and insisted that it was fine (my argument was that they were driving in such a way as to avoid the judder).

Anyway, it's definitely juddering now. sometimes it's fine, but other times it's almost un drivable. Last week month I had to drive into central London and by the time I got there (in slow moving traffic) it was juddering badly. Yesterday I got stuck on the M1 for an hour and then stopped in a service area for 10 minutes max. When I pulled away, I thought the clutch was actually going to die... It was juddering so badly I could hardly get the car moving. Today it's fine again. :rotz:

I've always thought there has been excess vibration but the stealer has tried convincing me that it's because its a diesel.

I can drive, I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles and drive different cars/vans every day and I only have this problem in my car!

Any thoughts? Clutch.... DMF.... both... ?

Thanks in advance

just had my clutch and dmf changed before warranty ran out. you would need to change both. my clutch used to judder so much making it impossible to pull away uphill . it is like driving a different car now ,it never felt right when it was new

Mine (2.5TDi) was like that always first thing in the morning reversing. By the end of the road it was fine. Oddly, it did that regularly for about the first 18 months of ownership and very, very rarely has it done it since. It's almost 4 years old now and I can't remember the last time it did it now. Strange.

Mine has always done it first thing on a morning too. I've read that this is quite common, particularly with PD130 6 speed owners. I think the theory seems to be that it's caused by condensation which dries off as things warm up? I can cope with this (although it does annoy me). It's the serious judder in traffic which is worrying me :(

This problem is always worse in the Autumn when the cold nights cause condensation to form on the iron clutch components (flywheel and pressure plate). It's a VAG **** up caused by the use of the wrong friction materials and wrong driven plate axial spring rates.

I found my car was pretty poor when I got it, but a few heavy towing sessions have sorted it out. At the moment (Summer) the clutch does not judder at all, hot or cold.

I wonder which pattern clutches are the best in this respect?

rotodiesel.

I have same judder problem with 1.8T.

Clutch judders everytime on first gear when car is starting to move.

It doesn't matter if it's cold or warm, winter or summer.

But when the car is already rolling (small speed), then there is no juddering.

I have had 3 Superb's and my father has had 1, they have all juddered when pulling away either when cold, damp or after its been raining, and when there is a steep hill start. Took the first one back a few times to be told the dampness excuse etc.

Is there an access panel on the bell housing, or breather hole of some description that let's water in?

Regards

SJ

On 6-speed, there are 3 holes underneath. But judging by temperature of air coming out of them after a drive, I would not cover them- looks like they're part of gearbox cooling arrangement.

In any case, my Superb's clutch judders after 2-3 days of rainy weather, and cures itself after 1-2 days of dry weather. Whatever the weather, judder disappears after 2-3 applications of clutch in 1st (traffic lights etc.)

i'am not trying to teach you to suck eggs.

but did you have the aircon on because my

car turns into christine (the car from hell)

when i put the aircon on.

being a pro driver:rolleyes: this is quite embarassing

when i stall the bugger on a island with my

passengers thinking ,not using you again.

moral=

just because you are cool does'nt mean you

look cool driving.

feck it open the windows luv

john

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the same in 1st gear ever since the car went in for new bearings following a gearbox selection fault... odd.

I have the helix SMFW and clutch, and I previously used to be able to pull away in 2nd with no issues. On a bad day 1st feels like the car is trying to pull away in 3rd! Like others say - its completely intermitant.

I'm boooked in for a turbo at Jabba in October and am starting to worry a bit about what on earth could be going on!

I experience the juddering when pulling away in first from time to time, sometimes worse when you are trying to get away quick on a roundabout, (trouble is in Milton Keynes theres millions of them :-) ).

I too, mentioned this to the dealers at its first service and got the reply that they could find nothing wrong. No mention that this is a common issue - I thought it must be me & my clutch control although I have been driving for years without problems before!

I just hope that the DMF and clutch last until after I change the car. What are the Octavias and new Superbs like in this respect?

Pete

Not sure about the diesels but we have a Passat 1.8 petrol and the clutch bite is high on the pedal inicating it's on the way out. It has done 116k miles and is on a V plate though, but judging from the reading this sounds different.

Although mine is an Octy i too have had this trouble.Cold start and reverse judder and imbalance of flywheel too which gets worse with more people in car.Wouldn,t even dare to pull away in 2nd because of the shaking and juddering.But now have just been converted to SMF and new clutch under warranty as SUK will now convert all 1.9TDi Octy,s due to the mass of claims for DMF issues as told by my dealer yesterday after picking up car.

With reference to Passat/Superb would worn/soft engine mounts cause this? maybe worth checking.Hope you sort it out VRSPHIL :thumbup:

With reference to Passat/Superb would worn/soft engine mounts cause this? maybe worth checking.Hope you sort it out VRSPHIL :thumbup:

You might have a point there. When I changed new suspension the juddering decreased little.Are those engine mounts easy to change?