Bathroom Suites

'daiking'

Need a bath and a basin for as little money as I can get away with for a reasonable quality.

Bath - standard 1700 x 700, needs flat edge for shower screen at foot end, want to re-use 2 hole mixer tap and pop-up waste

Basin - full pedestal type, size about 600mm wide, want to re-use 1 hole mixer tap and pop-up waste

Not convinced by non-branded megashed stuff, looked at Ideal Standard, is that the cheapest you can get away with?

Any recommendations?

Try Jones & Shuffs in Stoke - good merchants with some decent discounts if you can talk the talk.

Or Plumb Center anywhere

Both on the web

Plumb Center online tricky to use - a pdf brochure with no prices and then an online search for prices

J &S - no online cat

As for B & ****ing Q, original replacement in 2006 was one of their cheaper suites. The bath felt like it was made out of old crispp packets and actually cracked at the base after about a year.

I replaced it in emergency fashion with the cheap, in-store pickup Wickes offering but although much more robust, manufacturing tolerances seem to be poor and the design doesn't suit a showerscreen.

I have Ideal Standard and it is good - not cheap tho, but you get what you pay for! You want the thickest base you can for your bath so it doesn't crack

Never go to the big DIY stores, their suites seem cheap but not always the best quality. Designer bathroom shops are good quality but at a price. Inbetween are the local trade plumbers merchants usually on industrial stites that are not open w/ends but sometimes Sat. am. They will always beat the big boys prices on branded bathroom suites or parts, a bit off bargaining is always the way they work. They don't have big showrooms, so long as you know what you want or can buy from a brochure, give them a try.

Back to plumb center then

Try phoning them - call in and get the book (with prices+vat) they can usually get stuff in about 2/3 days - to get a decent price you have to go and talk to them

Also try Graham's (aka Jewsons ) again quick delivery and discounts if you talk to them nicely

Many other merchants are not on the web but do some cracking prices if you contact them

Most open Sat mornings

Check the local free ads, and gum tree. Or Ebay. Just because someone has ripped it out and selling it on doesn't mean the quality won't be there, and it'l certainly be cheap.

Try Plumbline/Plumbase, I got a Roca steel bath a couple of years ago from them, The guy on the counter discounted it without me asking, All in about £80 inc VAT

http://www.plumbline.co.uk/branchFinder.asp

Plumbase : Products :Bathrooms :Baths - Acrylic

Plumbase : Products :Bathrooms :Baths - Steel

Edited by mikeSM56
Added link

Check the local free ads, and gum tree. Or Ebay. Just because someone has ripped it out and selling it on doesn't mean the quality won't be there, and it'l certainly be cheap.

:rofl: I don’t want to spend more than necessary because I’m trying to sell. It needs to look smart and I’m not sure that’s the best way to go about it.

I’m going to take a look at Wolesleys/Grahams tomorrow then decide if its worth it or not. Definitely need a basin but I’ve got an idea for my bath problem that may not need a new one :rubchin:

Try Plumbline/Plumbase, I got a Roca steel bath a couple of years ago from them, The guy on the counter discounted it without me asking, All in about £80 inc VAT

Plumbase :: Find your nearest branch

Plumbase : Products :Bathrooms :Baths - Acrylic

Plumbase : Products :Bathrooms :Baths - Steel

will take a look :thumbup:

Do local and national plumbers' merchants tend to stock any of the common stuff? Ideally I want to collect rather than get it delivered.

Of course they do. You'll have to go and see them, they wont come to you.

have you tried e-bay a friend of mine got a whole new suite that was of pretty good quality and looked a bit flash for about £60 including some taps. :eek:

http://home-garden.shop.ebay.co.uk/items/Other-Bathroom-Suites__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_mdoZHomeQ2dGardenQQ_msppZQQ_pcatsZ147156Q2c20438Q2c11700QQ_sacatZ112557

http://popular.ebay.co.uk/ns/Home-Garden/Bathroom-Suite.html

On the base issue - builder mate of mine said the most important thing was to get legs /mounting on something solid - if wooden floor - might be worth getting advice on this before fitting another .

Of course they do. You'll have to go and see them, they wont come to you.

ffs, I'm going tomoz :rofl:

have you tried e-bay a friend of mine got a whole new suite that was of pretty good quality and looked a bit flash for about £60 including some taps. :eek:

Suite, Basin taps, Luxury, Bathrooms items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Bathroom Suite - Most Popular Items on eBay.co.uk

Will keep an eye on them

On the base issue - builder mate of mine said the most important thing was to get legs /mounting on something solid - if wooden floor - might be worth getting advice on this before fitting another .

Tell me about it, broken bath was installed by a plumber. Wrong bath installed correctly (eventually) by me. I think I've got the install sussed, its the actual bath causing me probs.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do need something cheap B & Q will do that for one of the take home packs - but that said our last house had one put in by the previous owner due to a .... flood (?) - Was an insurance claim where they got the cash for a new bathroom and put a cheap suite in... Along with the cheapest plain white tiles.

We were looking at changing it and Grahams seemed to be the best value. We had even chosen the suite but decided to move instead.

Current house is a new build and the builder (bellway) bought for Porceleanosa (Sorry wrong spelling) Have to say the three sets (cloakroom, bathroom and en suite) are pretty good Roca stuff. and for a new house the bath even has handles...

Just come across a cracking sale at Victoria plumb, who do very nice good quality stuff. Full bathroom suite including accessories like shower & screen and mixer taps for £599 which is a cracking price! Mixer taps alone can cost well over £100 a shot.

Buy Bathroom Suite Pack Offers Sale, Bathroom Sale at Victoria Plumb.