Most Number of Miles on one tank ( 711 )

Hi ,

Just filled up with 57.17 litres and done 711 miles on one tank.

Has anyone exceeded this in a Mk 1 Fabia.?

This is no fluke. I have exceeded 700 miles on one tank four times over the last 12 months in my 06 vrs which is totally standard.

Well pleased :):)

I usually average around 500 miles to a tank and thats from brim full which I get approx 53 liters in when I fill it

I dont let the trip computer read 0 before I fill up again, when the light comes on I fill up and the trip reads something like 60 miles left to the tank ?

Vent is small rubber nipple inside filler tube; push down and it releases air from the expansion part of the tank (search - there are lots of threads on using and removing - diesel only). I've managed about 57 litres too (1.4TDI), but it's not really good to get that low. Best is over 800 miles on a tankful.

So whats all this tank venting - Can anyone explain it without me having to do a search (im working as a browse ;) ).

Excuse my ignorance, but whats the point of a tank that can hold two amounts?

I have no idea how to vent the tank as I can't seem to find the elusive nipple (ooh err!) but I believe the expansion tank is fitted to the Fabia to absorb excess pressure which can be caused by thermal expansion of the petrol vapours in hot weather. Diesel vapour does not tend to expand anywhere near as much as petrol (in fact it hardly expands at all) so that is why the expansion tank on a diesel car can be vented of air and filled with fuel. I'm assuming the fuel tank is a generic one fitted across the board as it's unlikely there'd be a different tank for a petrol and a diesel car, so that explains the 'two' tanks thing. Anyhow, science lesson over. Can someone post a photo of their nipple for me?!

So whats all this tank venting - Can anyone explain it without me having to do a search (im working as a browse ;) ).

Excuse my ignorance, but whats the point of a tank that can hold two amounts?

There's the main tank , and then an expansion tank.

When the filler is open there's a vent between the two that's closed off so you can only fill the main tank.

When the cap goes back in it opens this valve so fuel can flow between the two. If the car is full right to the brim on a cold day and it then warms up it will expand and go into the expansion tank.

As others have said , you can manually open the vent to fill the expansion tank at the garage but it's only a good idea if you are going to use some of the fuel immediately.

I did around 650 to a tank a few weeks back.

Trip to just outside London and back.

Averaged 57.3mpg, which Isn't bad for me at all.

As said, if I get 100miles to £10 town driving I'm happy.

My wife (notoriously light footed) got just over 800 miles on one tank (almost 60l of diesel) which is a little over 60MPG. The trip computer was showing an average of 80MPG and it still said 20 miles left to go:thumbup: