Major engine warranty problem on my brand new mazda mps 3 ---help please----

Littlebull

a couple of points ,

is an oil/filter change at 3 months part of the service schedule on a MPS ? i don't remember doing one when i worked on Mazdas

the sump bung will most likely have just dropped on to the undertray when it came out, so they in theory could have put the old one back in

the AA/RAC have to do a damage report on the vehicle if it is recovered , so you should be ok getting the door repaired

do i think you will get a new engine , NO , do i think you will get a new car , NO

i think the best you can hope for is an extended Mazda covered warranty, and as a good will gesture from the dealer , free servicing for as long as you have the car, and obviously repair the door satisfactory

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

should of just kept going and let it melt into one lump! then claim sooooo much easier

I think thats what i would of done too it would have been such a easy claim.

I wish you luck and hope the result is a good one and i understand your pain over this.

I'd be very surprised if Mazda have any responsibility regarding this issue. The servicing dealer most certainly will have and possibly your credit card co if you paid for the service by card.

Re oil pressure guages- on mX5's there's some debate as to what they actually measure or if they are just ornamental. Look on www.mx-5.com and you'll see what I mean.

If it's a new car you've plenty of time for any possible engine damage to show itself whilst in the 3 year warranty period. Best you could expect is an extension to the warranty by the dealer to show confidence in their diagnosis of no engine damage.

Also can't understand how the finance co will be involved/liable. There interest will be with the supply of a satisfactory vehicle NOT with any subsequent works carried out by other Mazda Dealers. They would only have an interest if a service package was sold as part of the deal and the cost of that included on finance.

Hopefully your solicitor will be honest and sensible, you should follow his advice. If you disagree with him he will act on your instructions but it may well get you nowhere. The legal route has to be the last one to take when all possibilities are exhausted.

Edited by loskie
Additional thought

Honestly thanks to all of you for all your advice the service manager of the dealership is back in on Monday morning so I will be having words with him.

Just think of it like this though... If you who is reading this RIGHT NOW were in my shoes and had just spent £16,000 on a BRAND NEW car that you travelled all the way from West Yorkshire to London for because it was the last one in the country in it's colour and you've only had it for 3 months and a dealership does this to you

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT ????????

Im just going to wait for Mazda UK to get back in touch regarding this situation first before taking any further steps as I have to give them chance first.

However I am building my ammo supplies ready for battle.

At times like this I wish I would have just stuck with "Mellow the Yellow Furby RS" I miss you :( xxx

Dad got his about 3 months ago, and had a choice of 2 red, and four white at Autohaus in Nothampton.

a couple of points ,

is an oil/filter change at 3 months part of the service schedule on a MPS ? i don't remember doing one when i worked on Mazdas

Dad said the 3month service is a turbo service, and is only needed once? ColG can confirm I'm sure

Have to agree with everyone littlebull. To have done any real damage, the oil light would have come on. If it did, then kiss anything good bye. Calling the dealer rep a f****** c*** wont have helped your cause. I'd also go with an engine change devaluing your car.

I'd be asking to see a full diag print out, and Mazda to fully cover any engine/turbo/low oil related faults for the next 3yrs/60k from the date of the fault. Mazda are usually very good at customer care, so let them do their thing to sort the dealership out.

Best case I can see is as the oil/fault lights didnt come one (unless you missed/ignored them) then more than likely no damage done. Mazda may compensate you with extending the warranty for an extra period, and give you a free service.

Without the diag printout, you're screwed. I assume the car is still there. You've really burned your bridges.

A bit late coming into this thread, but dare I say it - I think expecting a new engine / car is a bit too much tbh.

Yes it is annoying to say the least, and mightily irresponsible for a fitter to forget to tighten the sump plug.

However, in reality the low pressure light didn't come on, and in your own words there was oil flooding out of the sump when the car was pulled over (indicating the engine still had a reasonable amount in when you stopped and presumably turned it off).

If I'm brutally honest, I'd say you have been lucky not to have damaged the engine and I'd be happy to let them check it over and send you on your way. However, I think as a gesture of goodwill the dealer / Mazda should honour any warranty claims or problems that arise in the future which could be connected with the issue.

Threatening legal action and swearing all over the shop will only put them on the defensive and you will ultimately get nowhere except out of pocket.

I owned a Mazda for 3 years from new and found them to be the best dealers to deal with hands down. But everybody is human, and if you go at it like a bull in a china shop, there will only ever be one outcome.

• 3 weeks later...
Dad's MPS went back to the dealers as the turbo fins had snapped, but luckily stayed in the turbo! :eek:

He thought the turbo service @3k was to stop such things!

I don't think its common - some issue with oil seals and engine mounts on early cars but they seem pretty good recently.

What does this 3k 'turbo service' consist of anyway? Would have thought it was just an early oil change to help things bed in. Calling it a turbo service certainly does sound misleading, and lures people into a false sense of security?!

Steve

What does this 3k 'turbo service' consist of anyway? Would have thought it was just an early oil change to help things bed in. Calling it a turbo service certainly does sound misleading, and lures people into a false sense of security?!

Steve

Its basically an oil change, I honestly can't remember if they do anything else (ECU flash?) and CBA to look. Colin will know.

Just read this thread today. Can't see what all the fuss is about? Top and a new plug for the car. I would be more concerned that the oil spill was reported and dealt with!

The engine can last around 1 minute with no oil and full throttle before catastrophic engine failure, due to the heat/friction build up. Even with low oil I would put my money where my mouth is and say there would be no notifiable difference to the future running of your engine due to your fast actions.

However, because of this mistake I would have looked for compensation in the way of 3 years servicing and a magic tree.

Hmmm, that might not be so bad an idea, while its running in. But yeah, whether they actually go to those lengths is another matter....

Steve

Surely if APR can write a demo map to expire after a week, Mazda could write one to change when the 3k service reminder was cleared by the dealer...?

take it to a different mazda dealer and explain whats happened and see what they can do. if no engine damage done then just put some oil in carry on running it, just check your oil level like every week