Modifying the Air Scoop on a vRS...

Hello to you...

Just wondering whether anyone else has modified their Air Scoop?

I chopped out all the seemingly un-needed plastic from mine, you know, the flap inside that directs all the nice cold air down through the gap in the back instead of letting it go through the induction pipe.

Well... My results are mixed but :D

Firstly, my MPG has shot down. I'm now averaging Mid 30's instead of Mid 40's on my "spirited" B-Road commute to and from work!

Secondly, OMG! :thumbup: I can't understand how it can have affected the performance so much! Acceleration now feels a lot stronger and tonight on the way home, I managed to do a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (all the way through each) gear wheelspin from a set of lights (not intentional!!)

So, we'll see what happens when I get my Ibiza Cupra TDI (wide-assed) induction pipe on Wednesday... Of course, I'm going to modify the flap business on this one too lol.

I'll take photos once I take it to bits when I install the Ibiza parts

Thankyouplease...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*ahem* ;)

out of interest Josh, which parts haev you ordered.. just the pipe or the front bit too as it doesnt have a flappy bit...

271S_Intake-med.jpg

271S_Tube-1-med.jpg

271S_Tube-med.jpg

PS Josh, have you already ordered the parts from seat as ive been waiting 3 weeks for mine :(

I've ordered the 2 parts that you have posted above.

Just thinking about it, it's the other bit that I've taken the most plastic off...

You know, the bit that you can take off with 2 torx screws. That's the flap I cut out.

On the original part that the hose attaches to, I cut off that little flap too, but it looks like I won't need to now I'm puting THAT MONSTER on it hehe!

I can definately recommend cutting the big flap out of the very front piece if you haven't already.

Local Seat dealer phoned me this morning as i've been waiting over two weeks also..

The two air duct parts should be in the UK within next twelve days or so..

:thumbup:

My god.. the wanderer returns.... long time no see

:D

OI BOYS! Parts numbers please so we can all get one! :) I take that the scoop and pipe are direct replacements and fit to a standard air filter box?

I've ordered my it's about a 3 week wait though :( cant remember the part number of the top of my head it Colin does post them before me I will do it at work tomorrow. I dont know if it will fit your fabia I can only assume that 100Tdi has the same airbox as the 130.

Well, ive just fitted my Cupra intake pipes... have yet to test tho. but you will be astonished in the difference in size, the pictures dont do it justice :)

ive not cut the flap off the scoop like josh has yet because unlike the ibiza setup, the fabias is in direct line of sight with the front of the car, so theres a high chance of it sucking stones/flies/water in without that flap to deflect them. ( tho i may get one to modify for trackdays :D )

the pipe is very easy to fit, remove screw holding to airbox... then remove the 2 torx holding the whole scoop assembly to the front slam panel and remove it all from car..

getting the bit between the scoop and the pipe off is a bit of an ****.. i actually broke one of the clips off. but got it out eventually.. then its just a case of putting the new bit in. and putting it all back..

*NOTE* i would reccomend putting the pipe back in FIRST.. screw it into the airbox before putting the scoop assembly, as its quite tight there and its an ass getting the pipe back onto the scoop.

So there yer are... the parts price came to

well im back from my quick drive.... but the butt dyno gives it :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::D

The difference is damn impressive.. instantly noticeable from when you pull off the drive... its smoother, revs harder (all the way to 5k) and the turbo spools up much quicker and faster :D

I've ordered my it's about a 3 week wait though :( cant remember the part number of the top of my head it Colin does post them before me I will do it at work tomorrow. I dont know if it will fit your fabia I can only assume that 100Tdi has the same airbox as the 130.

Pretty sure it is the same air box - the panel filter has the same part number - although if anyone can confirm that and tell us the part numbers, I think my engine deserves a bit more air ;)

Chris

The part numbers are 6LL 129 621 for the tube and 6LL 129 618 for the bumper end part which is a lot wider.

im toying with the thought of cutting the flap off as i think thats the most restrictivie section now..

Get the flap cut off mate!!!

I used a blowtorch on my stanley knife so it was red hot to cut most of it out, then I finished it off with the dremel to get it all smoooooth!

Just doing that has made my normal pipe LOADS better, so I am well excited to see what it does with the Ibiza pipe!!!

So would i be right in thinking modifying the air scoop to the seat part coupled up with a green panel filter, you could be looking at a noticeable increase?

as these are in my opinion "cheap" mods and ones that i wouldnt mind carying out myself :)

Yep, I recon you'd see an improvement over stock if you just did these mods.

Obviously a remapped car will benefit more, but I think anything that gets more cold air into the engine has to be a good thing.

A green filter on a REVO'd Fabia vRS gave 5bhp and 10lbft (I'm not sure how dirty the original filter was though, but as paper ones loose a lot of their performance with only a small amount of dirt, then it's got to be a good thing).

Even cutting the plastic out of the scoop gave me a noticable extra shove.

I need to get my OBDII lead sorted out so I can log airflow from the MAF (in grammes per second) to see what the difference is between stock and modified Ibiza intake pipes.

The part numbers are 6LL 129 621 for the tube and 6LL 129 618 for the bumper end part which is a lot wider.

im toying with the thought of cutting the flap off as i think thats the most restrictivie section now..

Col,

Let me know if you cut off the flap and what difference it makes (if any). I've order the parts to which I'll have to wait for ages :( though I think is this becoming a popular mod as my local dealer said not another order for this. :confused:

Col' date='

Let me know if you cut off the flap and what difference it makes (if any). I've order the parts to which I'll have to wait for ages :( though I think is this becoming a popular mod as my local dealer said not another order for this. :confused:[/quote']

I may see if i can do some more scientific tests soon.. ;)

:confused:

Green panel filter... what is this, and what is the part number, is it easy to fit?

Gonna order this along with the air intake stuff... yey, cheap mods are great, wanna mod like this, so when i revo it it'll take it over 200BHP/350torque (approx). :D:D:D

Any help appreciated, p.s. loved the thread which the 'which engine, as long as its a deisel 1.9 PD TDI' :D