What Car Yeti/Qashqai comparison

Brimma

Have any of you seen the Yeti? On looks alone it loses out to the Qashqai.

It's an abhorrent piece of design.

Have you seen it in real life or just pictures?

Pictures don't do it justicee. Ok, it's not pretty or sexy but it's a handsome looking car in the metal.

I was at my dealer this morning and saw their Elegance 140 TDI they've just had delivered. Leather seats and the brushed metal trim on the dash are really top notch and the doors open and close with a real quality feel. It's a big step up from the Roomster in overall quality.

Pictures don't do it justicee. Ok, it's not pretty or sexy but it's a handsome looking car in the metal.

I was at my dealer this morning and saw their Elegance 140 TDI they've just had delivered. Leather seats and the brushed metal trim on the dash are really top notch and the doors open and close with a real quality feel. It's a big step up from the Roomster in overall quality.

Which dealer? I am visiting the SW (England) at present. And does anyone know where I can get a test drive before the 17th?

Which dealer? I am visiting the SW (England) at present. And does anyone know where I can get a test drive before the 17th?

Falmouth Garages in Penryn. No test drive yet though, it's their only one so far and they're not sure if it's going in the showroom or on demo.

I've always found WhatCar to be quite reliable.

OK some of their articles tend to be a little WTF

But just because a Skoda doesnt win a test doesnt outrage me.

They said the Fiesta best handling small car - Anyone who has driven one will confirm it will turn on a dime.

They liked the old Fabia and Roomster.

There are times the cars they test dont match the picture (they do say car pictured is xxx trim) etc

I always find the cars they recommend seem to be the most powerful or lavishly equipped. But I do think "bribes" or getting cars with extra kit seem to sway their decision a little.

The Qashquai is built in Sunderland, so by applauding it they are selling more and sfaeguarding jobs - probably.

But just because a Skoda doesnt win a test doesnt outrage me.

It wasn't so much that it didn't win but that they criticised it on things it had been specifically praised for by others.

Autocar tested the same model today against the Qashqai and seemed to think the Yeti was vastly superior in pretty much all criteria!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes i've seen it in person and it still is a disgusting car to look at, i'm not talking about how it drives but i wouldn't go so far anyway...And i love some Skoda's, The fabia is in 'transition' i hope.

Well it's all a bit funny

Autocar and Autoexpress also do the yeti v Qashqai comparison

Autocar came up with Quashqai and Autoexpress with the Yeti. Autoexpress praised yeti for the class leading cabin quality, car like composure and price. Also being more economical (by more than £200 a year, lower tax and lower servicing and insurance over the nissan) seemed to have swung it as the car to buy with your own money.

Whatcar seemed to have managed to contradict themselves quite wonderfully, but I guess if the yeti is giving away £2,500 it should buy you some more refinement.

I thought the Yeti won in Autocar too?

I think the common consensus is ignore the Whatcar group test.. Not because the Skoda lost but because their opinion seems to be at odds with almost every other review that's been published.

Have any of you seen the Yeti? On looks alone it loses out to the Qashqai.

It's an abhorrent piece of design.

:confused: The Yeti may not be pretty but the Qashqai is, er, particularly 'challenging' to look at. The current front end is especially yuck.

Eye of the beer-holder and all that

I thought the Yeti won in Autocar too?

I think the common consensus is ignore the Whatcar group test.. Not because the Skoda lost but because their opinion seems to be at odds with almost every other review that's been published.

I only ever listen to Autocar, as they are the only ones that do a thorough test on a specific vehicle. CAR magazine does great reviews, but rarely test a vehicle I could actually afford or want.

If you visit the websites of these magazines and look at their review sections you will see how shallow Auto Express and What Cars test really are …..imho of course.