Cruise control and boot lock

Thanks to the advice received on this forum i took the plunge and traded my mk1 manual for a mk2 1.9tdi Elegance DSG. Nothing wrong with my original car, far from it in fact, I was delighted with the reliability and economy. It was a lovely car and somebody will get a bargain, but my left foot has had a persistent ligament problem not helped by gearchanging and 30k a year. I have had the DSG for a week now and am delighted with it. My last one was a lowly 90bhp and this is 105bhp. That and a sixth gear has transformed the performance and overall the ride is excellent and there is distinct and very positive difference between the two. I have been pleasantly surprised at all the extras. I knew about the glasses box in the rooflining, very handy, and all the storage areas. I was pleasantly surprised to find I have headlamp washers, automatic wipers (hey, what are they doing turning themselves on and off?!) and a self dipping rear view mirror.

However two minor issues which perhaps you gurus can help me with. Firstly I can only seem to unlock the boot with the key. Its a big chunky thing with three buttons, the middle one when pressed unlocks the boot. But surely one click or perhaps two on the door opening button should work? I have tried various clicking combinations and can even open all the windows from across the car park, but the boot remains locked. All OK with the button, but what if the battery runs out? Suggestions welcome.

Secondly I have cruise control on the car, which is useful for long motorway stretches. However this doesnt seem to work at all - and I have even read the manual, hows that for dedication! It is on a stalk to the left of the wheel, rather than on the steering wheel as with my previous car. The switch is in the "on" position and pressing the "set" button has no effect. I have tried various combinations of switching on and off, pushing buttons, switching the engine off etc. with no luck. Is there something I dont know here? Perhaps a minor but well known problem that would easily fix it? Failing that a trip back to the dealer I think.

Anyway, all suggestions welcome, thanks, Velocette

OK, on my Fabia, 2 quick clicks of the unlock button unlocks all the doors & boot.

To set my cruise I press the top button on the end of the stalk, I keep it pressed for a second or so.

Hope this helps.

There is a batch of stalks on early cars that didn't work properly due to dirt ingress. A modified stalk is available which remedies this. Alternatively you can clean the electronic gubbins to get it working again. There is a thread on here with a link. I'll see if I can dig it out

The cruise issue could be a faulty stalk, the on/off switch is known to be a weak point and fails due to dust collecting on the contacts. It is possible to clean it yourself using a guide on here, however as you just got it I would take it back and get them to replace the stalk. I cleaned mine more than a year ago and its still fine to this day.

Thanks for the very helpful and positive input. Yes, I have read the manual. Or rather, I have one but like many of us RTFM applies too often in my case. The link to the page on cleaning the contacts in the the operating arm really appeals, and I love the pidgin english as well - terrific, great link! There is nothing more I like than taking things to bits in a bodge-like way and then making it work. As it doesnt work anyway not much to lose if I muck it up. If push comes to shove I can get another arm from the scrappy too at minimum to restore the cosmetics and even the functionality. What does puzzle me is that the boot can only be unlocked by button-pressing the key. OK I can live with it, but if the key fails what's the fall back?

Sorry for the longish post for those of you of with a tenuous grip on the subject, but I am grateful to you all.

Thanks, Velocette

I'm assuming to open the boot with the car unlocked you are pressing the rubber pad above the number plate???? Pressing the middle button on the remote has the same effect as pressing this.

If you are pressing this then it could well be that the microswitch behind the rubber pad is damaged or has become disconnected. You should feel a little click as you press it.

A very big thank you to Nathanio for posting the advice about how to fix the cruise control switch. I did it this evening when we got back after a weekend away and - it works! Getting the module out of the stalk is very simple. A little judicious levering with a screwdriver eases the rear (dashboard facing) side of the stalk off allowing for the easy removal and unplugging of the module. Getting the tork screws out proved the most difficult part as I didnt have the right tool, but a very small screwdriver blade proved effective in the end. The various contacts were cleaned with a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover (ie acetone - all I could find) and then dried with another cotton bud,reassemble and test drive. 20 mins from start to finish. Interestingly the original, Danish author of the note commented that his cruise control failed at 85k kms (53k miles), mine was inoperative when purchased at 57k. Thanks also for advice about the boot lock. I think a combination of remote button pushing and fiddling with the locking switch by the gearlever plus a bit more experience did the trick. Anyway one click to unlock the drivers door, two for all doors and then the boot operates on the button above the number plate or with the remote.

Now done 600 miles in the car and very pleased with the drive. Thanks to all, Velocette.

• 8 months later...

I know this is a bit of a thread revival, but thanks for the link Nathanio.

It took me less than 5 minutes following the guide and has saved me the price (£60) of buying a new cruise control stalk. If I have to clean the contacts every 3 years instead of fitting a new stalk, so be it.

:thumbup: Thanks

Mods, is it worth pinning this guide in the mk2 Octavia section to save other members searching for 30 mins?

Edited by peter0976

Strange thing is that I still get the fault code 18104 Implausible signal from Steering column controller coming up, even after cleaning the cruise contacts, and with no sign of the cruise being defective in any way! Nearly every time I plug the VCDS in, the fault code is there, and clears instantly when fault code clear selected.

Velocette -- if you know anyone with VCDS, it's a simple job to alter the central locking so that one click on the remote unlocks everything.

Mike

Just want to say what a fantastic link it is to the stalk cleaning advice. I now have working CC for the 1st time in my ownership of the car (2.0 FSi Elegance).

Only remaining fault (which I am living with) is a persistant low screenwash warning light, despite the bottle being full. Anyone know of a quick cheap fix?

Thanks to the advice received on this forum i took the plunge and traded my mk1 manual for a mk2 1.9tdi Elegance DSG. Nothing wrong with my original car, far from it in fact, I was delighted with the reliability and economy. It was a lovely car and somebody will get a bargain, but my left foot has had a persistent ligament problem not helped by gearchanging and 30k a year. I have had the DSG for a week now and am delighted with it. My last one was a lowly 90bhp and this is 105bhp. That and a sixth gear has transformed the performance and overall the ride is excellent and there is distinct and very positive difference between the two. I have been pleasantly surprised at all the extras. I knew about the glasses box in the rooflining, very handy, and all the storage areas. I was pleasantly surprised to find I have headlamp washers, automatic wipers (hey, what are they doing turning themselves on and off?!) and a self dipping rear view mirror.

However two minor issues which perhaps you gurus can help me with. Firstly I can only seem to unlock the boot with the key. Its a big chunky thing with three buttons, the middle one when pressed unlocks the boot. But surely one click or perhaps two on the door opening button should work? I have tried various clicking combinations and can even open all the windows from across the car park, but the boot remains locked. All OK with the button, but what if the battery runs out? Suggestions welcome.

Secondly I have cruise control on the car, which is useful for long motorway stretches. However this doesnt seem to work at all - and I have even read the manual, hows that for dedication! It is on a stalk to the left of the wheel, rather than on the steering wheel as with my previous car. The switch is in the "on" position and pressing the "set" button has no effect. I have tried various combinations of switching on and off, pushing buttons, switching the engine off etc. with no luck. Is there something I dont know here? Perhaps a minor but well known problem that would easily fix it? Failing that a trip back to the dealer I think.

Anyway, all suggestions welcome, thanks, Velocette

Hi have have same thing with my cruise control i can set it once and works fine set it for a 2nd time will not work have to turn off car to reset it and works fine so can not use it more then once going back this week Edited by Tony Tyler

Hi have have same thing with my cruise control i can set it once and works fine set it for a 2nd time will not work have to turn off car to reset it and works fine so can not use it more then once going back this week

Tony, if you are ever in Lincolnshire I can clean it for you for free if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

• 2 months later...