Ebay Double DIN HU - Octy I VRS

Nuriyan

Recently ordered and received my new stereo HU for the car to replace the standard Skoda HU, 7-LCD-CAR-IN-DASH-TV-FM-CD-DVD-PLAYER-GPS-NAV-7 and have to say I am very impressed, overall design is fair, with the fact that it has all the things I need, GPS, Bluetooth, DVD player etc, I really cant complain or overly fault it....

My one issue really was that you dont get a cage with it tho, so had to order a cage separately, the standard Fascia surround you get with the HU is a bit large, as such doesnt allow you to make the stereo sit flush with the centre console. So I ended up ordering a different fascia, one that was flat and a closer look to that of the standard OEM plastic, had to trim it down with a saw blade and got the HU to fit more snug, flush with the centre console and also still allowed the motorised screen to move.

Overall, sound quality is excellent, there are more connections than you can shake a hairy stick at, the GPS is pretty much fully customizable if you know your way round an SD card, hence my photo of the GPS loading.... custom indeed, spot the Briskoda logo. GPS antenna comes with 3 meters of cable so was able to route mine around so now its just above my head behind the material.

DVD picture is fine, multi region capable and also able to read AVI's from either the disc or memory card, there are cable connections for surround sound if you wish, however, output into the standard ISO connected speakers is more than adequate. Separate output for video if you wish to connect a secondary screen or more.

Bluetooth is also quality, no need for stupid earpieces, phone call comes in, immediately ends whatever your doing and brings the sound out the car speakers, a small mic in the front of the headunit gives plenty of reception for you voice.

All the interfaces are either via the touchscreen or via the remote control that comes with the unit, all in all a top quality piece for a decent price...

Apologies for picutres, they are poor, but better ones are on the way....

PICT0003.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

PICT0006.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting your comments on your ICE upgrade. I've been going round in circles wondering whether to add on to the original, change to MFD or upgrade totally. More people need to make posts like this, it's really helpful :thumbup:

Did the install go smoothly, any problems with the wiring? How was the delivery? Have you had a chance to use the SAT NAV, is it reliable?

Edited by Guest

Biggest issue I had was just getting the cage in, I had to remove the old stereo and the little plastic tray that sat below it, using a Junior Hacksaw blade and holding it in my hand I managed to easily remove the plastic that sits behind the stereo, after that, cage went in with no issues (10 mins ish).

Found the easiest thing to do is remove the glove box as well, case of 5 screws, 2 from the bottom, 3 from just inside the top. That allowed me better access to the back of the stereo when guiding it in and also allowed me to move the wires as needed.

GPS attenna was a doddle, just removed the plastic from the right hand side of the dash going up to the roof lining, that was just a little tug to get off, manipulated the plastic seal and placed the antenna behind it, job done on that one (2 - 5 mins).

TV aerial was a little more work, but i routed that to the back of the car same way as the gps antenna was done, just this time was on the passenger side front (5 - 10 mins).

GPS system is extremely reliable and also very very accurate, made easier with an update to the latest maps which I have now got so can forward on no problems. Plenty of voices and customisation to suit whatever your needs. I cant really fault the Sat Nav at all, does what it says, but I will say this, calculating routes and recalculations is really really quick, much quicker than stand alone units friends have. The only thing I will say is sit on your driveway for five minutes gettings used to where things are in the menu's.

It is helpful that it is motorised, so I can change the angles as I wish, it can also be dimmed down for night driving, but so far I have had no issues. I play all my music from the SD Card, and there is no lagg with the sound and no issues there.

I shall take so more photo's today seen as the weather has improved, and give you an idea of whats what.

Oh and delivery was I think 7 days from China, well protected, well boxed, so all in all, cant complain.

Thanks very much for the review. I think I'll end up going down this route. As to now I've only done two 'mods' to my Octy. Changed the stock panel air filter for a Pipercross and upgraded the rear brake bulbs to LED. Everyone has to start somewhere:rolleyes:

Oh, and if get one of those units how about sending me the trick start up screen:thumbup:

It doesnt take any time at all, just pop the SD Card in and away it goes, I am forever changing the songs on it, it doesnt index the card like a computer or some devices do when they are accessing cards, same goes for the USB connection to a pen drive, as soon as you put it in, a couple of seconds, music playing.....

Mmmmm so im thinking of a plan. Join freedom, which i should have done ages ago, sell my current head unit and parrott hands free and my skoda hu. Then will not cost me too much to get this. Does look like a nice piece of kit.

Got the cage and Facia from Ebay, came to about 20 quid if I remember, but they have them on there cheaper these days, I suppose you can get a Universal one from them, but I went for a 'Skoda Octavia' version, so the plastics matched better.

Cage went in, stereo went in, found surround was to big... 3 minutes with a dremel and a sharp bit later, surround fitted perfectly.

Overall the stereo stands proud of the centre console by about 5 mm, but I do have plans to mod the cage ever so slightly and drop the stereo back further so that the stereo is then flush with the surround and console, fully utilising the fact that the stereo is motorised, itll look that much neater....

Ill post pics of that when done...

Any more questions, Im hth...

Quality....

Knowing a wee bit about computers got me thinking, seen as it runs a WIN CE environment, what other programs can I get running.

So far I am sifting through the better part of a thousand odd programs, just to see if they run, so far, majority of them do, some dont due to hardware specifics, but did come up across some decent programs...

Ill update with a list of handy ones that can be used with the device...

Also,

Original advert was that up to 2gb SD card max, however I do like to test these things, have since found out after buying them it will read 4gb, 8gb, and 16gb SD-HC's, so, yet another bargain....

I love this site! Just when I was sat thinking about the fact it's time for a change of headunit and how I miss my old car which had an Avic X1 fitted, I stumble across this thread...!

That is a quality install, I am a sucker for gadgets etc will have to have some serious thought about this, it's great that you have included pictures it really suits the console layout.

Great post!

Gents,

I now have TomTom running on this device now, so, more choice between what NAV Aid software you want to run....

Ill quite happily share the files with anyone who is likely to get this, but you need to edit a file for it to work with your device due to unique ID's of each device, I can help with that if needed.

Major find!!!!

Managed to install and get running a program called MioPocket, essentially changing the HU into a fully useable desktop environment, along with a huge list of programs....

Windows7UltimateGuide.jpg

Okay, I am interested in this. Can you give me an idea of how much you have spent getting all the software (nav maps, etc.) fascia & cage. With the current exchange rate, the unit will cost me approx. €205, which seems too good to be true!