Rattle/Vibration at 1500 to 2000 revs?

bryanp

I have a 54 1.9TDi and have owned it for 18 months now, ever since I bought it I have noticed when when excelerating between 1500 upto 2000 revs in any gear I hear a rattle/vibration sound, I believe its from the engine but not sure, anyone any ideas what it could be,

I have had the cam belt changed and also the clutch including the DMF changed but the sound still persists.

As asked by Samster, I dont get the noise when the car is at a standstill in neutral, only when its underload.

Edited by bryanp

I've had something similar but at slightly lower revs, I thought it was a loose exhaust baffle at first.

On my 1.9 pd, a flexible rubber power steering hose leaves the steering pump and heads towards the bulkhead.

Along its route the pipe passes through a supporting bracket that's shaped like a question mark. This bracket is secured by the bolt of an engine mount next to it (just to be sure were laking about the same one).

The pipe is supposed to sit inside the middle of the open loop of this bracket, I think, so it is supported, but still has plenty of room to move as the engine vibrates.

On my Superb the pipe did not run parallel to the engine and so was actually lightly pinched by the opening of the '?' bracket. The cure was to clean the attachment at the steering pump, loosen the clamping bolt very slightly indeed, and nudge the pipe aound so the pipe sits in the middle of the 'eye'.

The pipe is a potential noise/vibration problem judging by the design of the bracket mentioned and the large steel weight attached to the pipe at the bulkhead end.

Edited by CombatWombat

Was going to say the same, the air intake duct makes that kind of noise if not pushed properly into place.

This was the very first thing i checked / sealed with sealant, made no difference to mine :confused:

I have tried everything sudjested but with no luck, I have notice when towing my caravan that the noise happens at the same revs but louder, so engine load could be the key.

In a way im glad its not just mine as it looks like its going to be one of those inherited problems that every one will suffer and we will probably be told by Skoda Tech that its a "characteristic!!!"

The DMF question from me was serious; whilst they'll run like this more or less for ever, they have a nasty harmonic vibration between 1500 and 2000, because they're not over keen on transmitting the peak torque. Hauling a snail shell behind you will make that worse!

A couple of things I did was to tighten the air hose *large one to the maf* jubilie clip, reseat the foam under the engine cover, *the one that lays around the rocker cover* this has helped but I suspect the engine tray is contributing as well as some of the clips where it bolts to the arch protectors are missing on mine, I'm living with it as the last time I put them back in one came out and found the front tyre, mines an auto btw so no dmf.

Something else to add, what tyres do you have, I have a cheap set of Wanli's on mine and the day they were fitted I thought whats up with that, the noise and feedback through the steering is aweful, and guess where it's worst, as the rev counter hits 1500 rpm in the 1st couple of gears, does it on the way up and on the way down, I noticed when they went on for balancing the tread seemed warped, it's called chainsawing apparently the effect it gives, so if you are running budget tyres I'd check this before I go spending, makes the car sound like the wheel bearings are shot, I know mine aren't because it went straight througn the last mot 1st time, hth.