Fixed or removable tow ball ?

I'm about to have a tow bar fitted to an Octavia II with parking sensors.

Can I get away with a fixed ball towbar or should I go for a retractable type ?

I'll be towing a caravan.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I fitted a Witter SK18 towbar with fixed tow-ball to my Octavia 1.9 Elegance(2006 vintage) last year and ,despite assurances from Witter and others that it should be OK, I found that most of the time it interfered with the reverse sensors and when the ball-cover was in place it always interfered. Solution ?- removed tow-ball and only bolt it on when required. Wish now I had gone for the detachable version SK14Q.

Belated thanks to Stu and others for excellent set of instructions and photos without which I couldn't have attempted the work involved. Don.

B_beerchug.gif

I fitted a removable towbar to my car and to be honest it has never been removed. The reason? Nobody touch parks my car in the rear, or if they do, it cost them a lot more than it cost me. Also if someone runs into me at a set of lights for instance, and tries to give me the “I will get a mate to sort it”, well I reckon they will be much more likely to go through their insurance when they see the towbar shaped hole in the front of their car.

:cool:Go for the removable one, mine is a factory fitted one which I think is a westfilla ? and try and go for the genuine electrics with the can bus (use vagcom) as the car then knows the caravan is attached and switches off the rear sensors as well as the rear fog lights, but make sure you wire up pins 10/11/12 thats needed for the batt charge/fridge ( one of the pins is a spare ) :thumbup: cheers - Stuart.

I fitted a fixed Bosal towball to my 55 Octy II and it doesn't get picked up by the parking sensors at all. I was going to order this one, but couldn't get it in time though:

Bosal Economy Detachable Towbar for a SKODA Octavia II Hatchback (incl. 4 X 4) (excl. RS) 2004 -

I fitted a removable towbar to my car and to be honest it has never been removed. The reason? Nobody touch parks my car in the rear, or if they do, it cost them a lot more than it cost me. Also if someone runs into me at a set of lights for instance, and tries to give me the “I will get a mate to sort it”, well I reckon they will be much more likely to go through their insurance when they see the towbar shaped hole in the front of their car.

OTOH idiots with exposed towbars trashed the number plate *twice* on my previous car by reversing into them. Neither owned up and left the scene before I could witness the event.

I would like to see all tow bars made removable and subsequently driving with an exposed towbar made illegal in 'dangerous parts'. Ditto exposed studs normally where a 4x4 has a spare wheel.

OTOH idiots with exposed towbars trashed the number plate *twice* on my previous car by reversing into them. Neither owned up and left the scene before I could witness the event.

I would like to see all tow bars made removable and subsequently driving with an exposed towbar made illegal in 'dangerous parts'. Ditto exposed studs normally where a 4x4 has a spare wheel.

Sorry to hear of your woes, butI have never reversed into another car so I am happy with my towbar. Perhaps compulsory towbar driver training is necessary :D

I have a fixed towbar and it does not affect the parking sensors in day to day usage.

I was interested in Sparky2's comment r.e. the electrics turning the sensors off when a caravan is attached - that is a real problem i have when reversing the caravan / trailer the constant flat-line from the sensors is distracting and makes it hard to hear any verbal communication from outside. - I'll have to enquire about getting a re-wire job done.