2010 Fabia vRS 178 BHP petrol

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 to the gallon? I'll believe that when I see it, on the brim to brim method, over a minimum of three tanks :)

Steve

You'd have to drive it very carefully and have optimum conditions.

So you have to have the flappy paddle gearbox? It will be just as gutless as the Octy VRS then. Waste of time. Go for a non-VAG group motor, Skoda have destroyed their own sales by waiting so long and then bringing out an over-priced motor that only the daft would buy.

So you have to have the flappy paddle gearbox? It will be just as gutless as the Octy VRS then. Waste of time. Go for a non-VAG group motor, Skoda have destroyed their own sales by waiting so long and then bringing out an over-priced motor that only the daft would buy.

Yeah mate, I can see what you mean... Waste of time that DSG, just look how it climbs to silly speeds, very quickly with ALMOST seemless gearchanges...

Will tell you one thing, I was down at GTi Inters earlier this year, and due to having to change gear twice to get to 60mph, you can see (will upload if you really like) that on my graph's to 60, im loosing around .5 seconds PER gear change on my worst run, adding a SECOND to 60mph. Even my best run of 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, I changed gear once (2nd gear launch) and it took maybe .25 seconds? Thats still a good .05 seconds slower... and you know what that means, thats the difference between a 5.0 seconds to 60, and a 4.9 mate....

Mike?

You in there?

178bhp petrol?

BORING!

Skoda's original vRS was a cheeky yet innovative attempt at a warmish hatch powered by diesel. I wouldn't say it cornered the market, but it definitely introduced a (then) new concept in motoring.

But it now seems that VW don't watch the Skoda marque to be seen as anything other than the budget end of their range. Which is a shame.

There is also far too much competition for this car to work. Hot hatches are numerous: Focus RS/ST; Civic Type R; Golf GTI; Leon Cupra; S3 etc. Even the so-called warm hatch market is crowded: Clio Cup; Fiesta ST etc.

Skoda have missed a trick here. I don't know VW have forced their hand but Skoda bringing out a 178bhp petrol car lacks imagination and offers nothing new or innovative.

People still don't get it!

The Fabia vRS only sold well in the UK! There isn't that big of a market for the warm-derv-hatch, aside from the UK. There's a bigger market for a frugal petrol warm hatch. And that's what they'll make.

178bhp petrol?

BORING!

Skoda's original vRS was a cheeky yet innovative attempt at a warmish hatch powered by diesel. I wouldn't say it cornered the market, but it definitely introduced a (then) new concept in motoring.

But it now seems that VW don't watch the Skoda marque to be seen as anything other than the budget end of their range. Which is a shame.

There is also far too much competition for this car to work. Hot hatches are numerous: Focus RS/ST; Civic Type R; Golf GTI; Leon Cupra; S3 etc. Even the so-called warm hatch market is crowded: Clio Cup; Fiesta ST etc.

Skoda have missed a trick here. I don't know VW have forced their hand but Skoda bringing out a 178bhp petrol car lacks imagination and offers nothing new or innovative.

Am I missing something here? 1.4 TWIN CHARGER isnt new or innovative for you?! The fact it will go quicker than the out going MK4 Cupra with the same power, yet also be better on fuel, tax and insurance... oh and actually sound better? This is within the "warm" market yes, but there isnt a Fiesta out there than can match it like for like, the nearest two are the Mito and Clio, which reviews have both agreed against the Cupra Ibiza (lets say its the same bloody car!) that the Clio is too hard core for daily grinds, and the Mito just doesnt cut the mustand next to all the tech you will get in the Cupra (and no doubt vRS)

I honestly dont know what people expect, tell ya what all these people crying over it, tell me what VAG should do with the new vRS? Exactly?

Irvtheswerv - OK you really dont get it do? That is what people call a example. If you dont want to get to 60mph quickly, go buy a MK1 vRS and enjoy changing gear every two seconds to keep it on the 'torque' band.

/rant over.

178bhp petrol?

BORING!

but it wasn't innovative and it didn't introduce anything :confused:

Irvtheswerv - OK you really dont get it do? That is what people call a example. If you dont want to get to 60mph quickly, go buy a MK1 vRS and enjoy changing gear every two seconds to keep it on the 'torque' band.

/rant over.

I've found a new friend :)

I do agree with you both.

The Mk1 Fabia vRS is a great car imho, yes the white seats are silly, and no it doesn't handle well, but it was a decent diesel engine, had a good agressive look to it, and a good spec too, with the bonus of them being a bit different to the norm without really any competitors at the time of release. Oh, and it was cheap, genuinely cheap.

I'm sure the Mk2 Fabia vRS will be a different beast altogether, it should have real hot hatch credentials, a good turn of speed, and be a genuinely good car - assuming they get the syling right.

When all is said and done though, there were a lot of people in the UK who liked the niche package of what the Mk1 Fabia vRS offered who will struggle to find something similar to replace it with, Skoda certainly don't offer anything. To get a decent diesel engine you really need to move up a segment into a Golf, Leon (Mazda 3 :P) etc, and there are plenty of people who don't want or need a car that size, and certainly don't want to be paying upwards of £17k for the privilege. I suppose there is the Punto Sporting, but I'm struggling to think of anything else. I wish there were good 140bhp+ diesel versions of the Fiesta Zetec S, Mazda 2 Sport, Ibiza Cupra, VW Polo GT, Corsa SRI, a proper Fabia Sport even (rather than the half arsed effort Skoda sell at the moment).

I do think it will be good for Fabia vRS Mk1 residuals though. Its just when the owners of them look to change, they either have to buy a Punto, or get something completely different.

If they "warm up" the 1.6 TDI they should be able to get a 120bhp engine to stick in. But this output is very close to the 140 produced by the "normal" TDI...

There's little room in the range for an engine there.

Awww, im honoured fella :D I dont use 1st gear anymore.... and still have to change 3 times to get over a 1/4..... 3rd gear launches, hmmm? :D

I do agree with you both.

The Mk1 Fabia vRS is a great car imho, yes the white seats are silly, and no it doesn't handle well, but it was a decent diesel engine, had a good agressive look to it, and a good spec too, with the bonus of them being a bit different to the norm without really any competitors at the time of release. Oh, and it was cheap, genuinely cheap.

I'm sure the Mk2 Fabia vRS will be a different beast altogether, it should have real hot hatch credentials, a good turn of speed, and be a genuinely good car - assuming they get the syling right.

When all is said and done though, there were a lot of people in the UK who liked the niche package of what the Mk1 Fabia vRS offered who will struggle to find something similar to replace it with, Skoda certainly don't offer anything. To get a decent diesel engine you really need to move up a segment into a Golf, Leon (Mazda 3 :P) etc, and there are plenty of people who don't want or need a car that size, and certainly don't want to be paying upwards of £17k for the privilege. I suppose there is the Punto Sporting, but I'm struggling to think of anything else. I wish there were good 140bhp+ diesel versions of the Fiesta Zetec S, Mazda 2 Sport, Ibiza Cupra, VW Polo GT, Corsa SRI, a proper Fabia Sport even (rather than the half arsed effort Skoda sell at the moment).

I do think it will be good for Fabia vRS Mk1 residuals though. Its just when the owners of them look to change, they either have to buy a Punto, or get something completely different.

I completly agree, and infact its the same over on Ibiza Owners Club, everyone including myself cant believe that the best selling engine*, the PD130 in the Ibiza range (and 160) which are diesel, arent going to feature (albeit more modern versions) in the MK5 line up.

There is going to be however, a FR TDi in the Ibiza range, so Id expect a Fabia Sport TDi to show its face, I will ask Katherine in PR @ Seat on thursday and see if she has any more details within the Ibiza, and this will no doubt reflect on the Fabia too. Id hope they would make it 150hp like the petrol varient, possibly out of the 1.6CR

/rant over.

Though I have had a basic remap on my furby, in the grand scheme of things it's still slow. The new MKII with petrol and DSG is obviously not like for like. Like I said in the first place if all I wanted to do was get to 60 quickly I'd just go out and buy a fast car and not mess about with a small VAG model.

There is going to be however, a FR TDi in the Ibiza range, so Id expect a Fabia Sport TDi to show its face, I will ask Katherine in PR @ Seat on thursday and see if she has any more details within the Ibiza, and this will no doubt reflect on the Fabia too. Id hope they would make it 150hp like the petrol varient, possibly out of the 1.6CR

But the sad thing is we already have a Fabia Sport, at a poxy 105bhp :(

I honestly can't imagine and FR diesel either, and giving the 1.6CR (certainly in 110bhp ish variant) the FR badge would be sacrilege.

Edited by Tom_vRS
Absolutely not to correct my spelling!

VAG and badge sacrilege... it's been done before and it'll be done again :D

Golf Mk4 2.0 GTi anyone? :rofl:

I think people are largely missing the point with the twincharger engine - given that it will provide what I can see as a good compromise between responsiveness and economy. Plus the fact nobody's driven a Fabia equipped so far :D

How people can be so dead against it from their keyboards is most strange! Try it.... then decide.

Steve

VAG and badge sacrilege... it's been done before and it'll be done again :D

Golf Mk4 2.0 GTi anyone? :rofl:

I think people are largely missing the point with the twincharger engine - given that it will provide what I can see as a good compromise between responsiveness and economy. Plus the fact nobody's driven a Fabia equipped so far :D

How people can be so dead against it from their keyboards is most strange! Try it.... then decide.

Steve

If you check the factory build sticker, a 2.0 GTI will say "Highline" not "GTI" on it :)

If you check the factory build sticker, a 2.0 GTI will say "Highline" not "GTI" on it :)

:rofl: But if you check the bootlid, and the promotional material etc, it will say "GTI"

Sacrilege it is then! :P

Edited by Tom_vRS
Absoluteley not to correct my spellings

Was only in the UK wasn't it? Reprehensible!

Oh, and the sacrilege is also you not being able to spell sacrilege Tom! :rofl:

No idea what you mean ;)

And reprehsible, yeah, why not! :P