Suspension - What is this bit called?

bubba

Getting a slight knocking from the front, so I jacked the car up, removed the front o/s wheel and had a fiddle.

There seems to be quite a bit of play, in the rubber bush that is pictured, the bush doesn't seem to be in that good of a condition either and I would suspect its the reason I'm getting the knocking (front anti roll bar bushes were only replaced last year)

I just don't know what its called, in order to find a replacement part (sounds really stupid :o )

Thanks for the help

Edit - Its the bit between the jack and axle stand :)

31164.attach

That's the front wishbone rear bush. Very common issue with the standard ones ripping through.

Options for a replacement are:

-OEM (voided)

-OEM+ from an Audi TT (solid)

-Aftermarket polybush (Superpro etc)

Thanks people, I take it I'll need to replace front and rear together.

Is it fairly easy to do yourself?

I have no car mechanical background (probably obvious :P ), I used to do most straight forward stuff on my older cars (many many years ago), but became lazy and started to get garages to do the work. However the garage I normally use, are starting to hike up the prices and I would rather not fork out loads on labour, if the parts are fairly cheap.

Nope, no need to replace the front wishbone bush at all, although its worth doing both front wishbone rear bushes :)

I'd go the OEM+ route and source some TT bushes myself, the improvement in steering feel and precision isn't subtle! :)

Is it ok just to replace these or is it better to buy the complete wishbone?

Do they press out easily?

The reason I ask is that years ago a garage replaced the equivalent bushes in my 4yr old Mk1 Mondeo after an MOT advisory. The car drove like cr@p afterwards and then one of the bushes sheared out. The garage contacted Ford and were told the whole wishbone had to be replaced; it was not possible to press out the old bushes and fit new. The garage did this and the car was fine again.

The answer may be of particular interest to me as I have a knocking noise from the front end of my RS! :mad:

Cheers

Darren

HI Darren

You can replace just the bushes , not an issue at all

As for doing the job , I am in the fortunate state of , I hand my keys over to the tecnicians , and tell them what I want done

But then I did my Fabia , and that was a real mare of a job to do :( , a few 4 letter words passed my lips

But I do think the Octy is a bit easier

Sarah

I just bought complete new OEM wishbones from GSF (http://briskoda.net/octavia-i/front-suspension-refresh-photos/149614/).

£45 per OE (Lemforder) wishbone. You can get cheaper ones, but the quality won't be as Skoda intended.

It's the lazy option, but made sense for me, as I didn't have much time to do the job, and didn't have a press. I also now have a spare set of wishbones, to fit TT bushes to and stash away for a rainy day.

Complete Febi Bilstein (OEM quality) arms with bushes are about £25 from Jorily Skoda. Bit dearer than just replacing the bushes, but quicker.

Yes, we do OEM complete wishbones for £25-99 plus delivery of £7-50. (but no stock until 1st week in November)

Or Genuine Skoda £52-00 each plus delivery of £7-50.(in stock)

Non OEM £25-00 each including bottom ball joints plus £7-50 delivery.(in stock)

Edited by Jorily
addition

Yes, we do OEM complete wishbones for £25-99 plus delivery of £7-50. (but no stock until 1st week in November)

Or Genuine Skoda £52-00 each plus delivery of £7-50.(in stock)

Non OEM £25-00 each including bottom ball joints plus £7-50 delivery.(in stock)

Would the OEM arms from a MK V GTI / Leon Cupra (eg ones with the solid bushes) fit?

If so how hard is it to swap the whole wishbones over?

• 3 weeks later...

Still haven't got these done yet, was going to attempt it myself, but after comments on her, I'll get a friend to do it.

The Audi TT bushes, do I need to get a specific year? (my Skoda is an 04)

If I went down the Polly bushes, where's the best place to get them delivered quickly :)

I also need to look at new discs and pads all round, are the standard ones ok?

cheers

they did an earlier bush on the tt, but as long as you get a mk1 tt bush i think that should be fine. There is a post on here if you search with part numbers and details iirc.

My poly (superpro bushes) we got from pri racing, top guys there got them the following day!

Edited by sweedish

Awesome keep stock of Powerflex and are cheapest in the UK ;)

Sarah

Cheers, I found them on your site :)

Spoke to a mate, who knows a Skoda tech, who said that it's rare for the wishbone bushes to need replacing and it's more likely to be the anti roll bar bush (these have already been replaced last year)

I'm well confused now, so he's going to look at it tomorrow and see what's up.

He did say if it was the wishbone bushes, then it's better to just replace the whole wishbone.

Next question, if I get 2 new wishbones, is it easy to put the Polly bushes on them before fitting? I really don't want to put standard ones on, as the handling just isn't that good

fyi mate,

Some of the other members had problems with powerflex wishbone bushes coming apart (older style ones) iirc and they are harsher than the superpro bushes i have used in my experience.

Edited by sweedish

Bubba its not common on standard Octavias for these bushes to go but they do go on the VRS, especially if you have suspension mods.

Also if your going to upgrade the Bushes than there is no need to buy new wishbones. That sounds like silly expense to me. Just fit them to the current wishbone.

Its not the easiest job in the world. The easiest way in my ipinon is to open the 3 smallish bolts that hold on the ball joint under the hub.

I've got some spare TT bushes (2 rear bushes) and the triangular washer/nut that's recommended to be changed.

Does anyone know how much the RRP is on them? Will let you have them for less than RRP but don't want to loose out too much.

I bought them 6 months ago but ended up not fitting them (it was the ARB bushes that turned out to be the problem)

cheers

andrew

Still haven't got these done yet, was going to attempt it myself, but after comments on her, I'll get a friend to do it.

The Audi TT bushes, do I need to get a specific year? (my Skoda is an 04)

If I went down the Polly bushes, where's the best place to get them delivered quickly :)

I also need to look at new discs and pads all round, are the standard ones ok?

cheers

It is not the hard to do. You don't need a press to do them.

This thread is how i did mine.

HOW TO change the lower control arm bushing - TDIClub Forums

Yes it is a little time consuming and a few swear words come to play as they are in there tight, especially it you are also replacing with TT bushes. Poly ones go in easier.