New Octavia: unforgiiving ride

I've recently taken delivery of a new 1.8tsi DSG Elegance estate. it's got all the good things I expected but I have to say the experience is marred by three things in particular:

the ride on the standard 16" wheels seems really unforgiivng and literally headache-inducingly jiggly over rough surfaces (I feel the rear suspenson is especially hard). So bad I'm wondering if something could be wrong with it. I've heard of suspension chocks being left in but I thought this was only on the vRS. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

secondly i'm finding it hard to get comfortable however I adjust the seat: the seat back seems a tad narrow (have others found this?)

the third is well known: road noise. This I'd heard about before and will probably deal with over time with diferent tyres and maybe some sound insulation

Put the three together though and I end journeys unrelaxed and stiff. It seems a shame: the car looks great and much of the build quality rivals much more expensive cars. And the engine, dsg box and handling are great

The suspension chocks are on all models, not just the vRS.

On my car, it took me ages to find the correct seating position, trying different back rest angles, seat height/distance from the controls and steering wheel up/down + in/out. I found it eventually and now find the seats perfectly fine, and have spent whole days (literally) at the wheel in one stretch without any problems.

I find the ride typically VAG to be honest - firm, and not as good as a ride / handling combo as BMW for example. But you want to try driving a Fabia VRS if you want to see poor ride quality. Jeez mine was rough...I'm surprised any of my teeth are still attached to my gums.

Tyre wise though what shoes is the car currently wearing? The Dunlop Sport Maxx the VRS comes with for example are terrible for noise and I shall be replacing them with something else when they wear out.

Different tyres may also (marginally) help with the ride quality.....possibly.

I have to ask - Did you test drive an example of your car before you purchased it ?

If you did, and the one you drove was OK, then it is possible that the suspension chocks are still in the rear springs (like big plastic combs that stop the springs from compressing while the car is transported prior to sale), OR your car has the optional sports suspension (or some other aftermarket changes).

Tyre pressures too high can also spoil the ride, and add to road noise. I run 34/32 psi with my 225/40R18 tyres.

As rsbspt suggests, Koni FSDs are a popular change for people who want an improved ride from their Octy.

I have had a new 1.4TSI DSG Elegance Estate for 2 weeks and like you have found the ride uncomfortable on some surfaces. The M25 J9/J10 is a concrete section that seems to bounce the whole car up and down. I did not notice this in my old focus estate.

I drove 400 miles over the weekend with 3 passengers who said the ride was firm but not uncomfortable. They actually did appreciate the ride not being too smooth as one is prone to car sickness. On most roads I don't notice it, just dodgy concrete sections.

I find the seats very comfortable, the engine seems well matched to the DSG and is more than powerful enough (for me!). As you say, the car looks great, the inside is brilliant, but the hard ride is the only thing I'm disappointed about.

Your ride issue is strange, I have an estate too with 16's and I find it more than comfortable, the dogs dont get sick either as they have done in other cars. I also hate the seats, too narrow, not enough support and too short under the thighs, gives my back a really hard time.

Tyre Pressures checked?

Tyres get 'over inflated' at the factory for transit and storage and it a popular item to be missed on PDI; or even if they are checked, can easily be wrong. Correct pressures for your tyre/wheel combo will be on the inside of the filler cap.

My new 1.4TSI Elegance also has a harsh ride. tyre pressures are correct and there's no transit chocks on the rear springs but you can feel and hear the road surface on anything less than a very smooth road. Gravel roads or joints in the tarmac are very noticable. I'm just hoping that much of it is down to the brand of tyres (Goodyears) and will largely go away when they eventually get replaced with a different make.

Not sure what to get yet though, I've usually used Michelin's before and these have been okay but maybe some Avons might be better for reducing road noise.

When I was test driving a few Octavias earlier this year I found the 15" wheeled versions gave a significantly smoother ride than 16" wheels. The car I bought has 16's though, the difference is you feel some of the bumps in the car with 16's, while you just see them disappear under the car having no effect on 15" wheels. Try to get a test drive in other cars the same from a dealer and see if they all act like that. Change to 15" wheels if the problem isn't specific to your car.

I've an Elegance with the optional 17" rims and sport suspension. The ride is little different to the decent comfortable experience on the standard 16" rims on the demo car. I insisted on a final test drive in the car I eventually bought (a showroom take it or leave it ). Handles speed bumps fine with no uncomfortable pitching or crashing. A bit of tyre roar on certain surfaces causes irritation to SWMBO but she has hearing problems. I fail to see the different ride height or feel any sporty experience over standard.

And , yes, the seat feels a bit narrow in the shoulder area.But comfortable and relaxed and headache free on a recent 360 mile run and other long runs.

When I was test driving a few Octavias earlier this year I found the 15" wheeled versions gave a significantly smoother ride than 16" wheels. The car I bought has 16's though, the difference is you feel some of the bumps in the car with 16's, while you just see them disappear under the car having no effect on 15" wheels. Try to get a test drive in other cars the same from a dealer and see if they all act like that. Change to 15" wheels if the problem isn't specific to your car.

I agree. We have the 15" wheels on our 1.4 TSI. Ride is not harsh at all. Very forgiving, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses.

My car is fitted with Bridgestone Potenzas 16", not the quietest I understand! May change to Konis or Falkens as suggested when tyres need replacing.

I was unable to test drive the precise model I bought ie engine, facelift and spec, but had what I thought was a thorough composite experience of at least 4 or 5 drives (including pre-facelift with same engine, spec and wheels, and facelift with different engine) covering all the elements if not simultaneously in the same car. I didn't notice the ride being unduly hard on any of these drives.

I did check the tyre pressures which were around 37psi compared to recommended 32. Reducing this to recommended levels helped the ride somewhat, though my original enquiry was posted was after I'd done this as I think the problem remains.

I also use M25 junctions 9-10 and agree this is probably where the experience is worst so i take some comfort from this. Nevertheless I think the ride is fundamentally hard on anything but smooth surfaces. i've asked the dealer to check the suspension over (i couldn't see anything obvious myself)

As others have suggested I'll persevere with experimenting with the seating positon.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses.

My car is fitted with Bridgestone Potenzas 16", not the quietest I understand! May change to Konis or Falkens as suggested when tyres need replacing.

I was unable to test drive the precise model I bought ie engine, facelift and spec, but had what I thought was a thorough composite experience of at least 4 or 5 drives (including pre-facelift with same engine, spec and wheels, and facelift with different engine) covering all the elements if not simultaneously in the same car. I didn't notice the ride being unduly hard on any of these drives.

I did check the tyre pressures which were around 37psi compared to recommended 32. Reducing this to recommended levels helped the ride somewhat, though my original enquiry was posted was after I'd done this as I think the problem remains.

I also use M25 junctions 9-10 and agree this is probably where the experience is worst so i take some comfort from this. Nevertheless I think the ride is fundamentally hard on anything but smooth surfaces. i've asked the dealer to check the suspension over (i couldn't see anything obvious myself)

As others have suggested I'll persevere with experimenting with the seating positon.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

give 30psi a try, i have lowered the air pressure on my 225/45/17 tires to that, the ride is much better now, give it a go & see if u find the right balance between good ride & rolling resistance, but use only 30psi when the car is not loaded, i normal drive alone so 30psi is fine for me, if u travel with occupants then put 32psi min, the new octavia is firmer then the earlier model, i am 101% sure about this, dunno why skoda has done this :confused:

M25 J9 - J10 is the concrete bit and mine always sounds harsh on this bit of road.

My Elegance estate with 16" rims is a better ride and quieter than the previous Ambiente estate with 15" rims.

The only thing I have noticed is that the rear suspension 'creaks' a bit now and again at low speeds on rough roads when the estate part is empty.

The estates are usually stiffer on the rear than hatchbacks.

give 30psi a try, i have lowered the air pressure on my 225/45/17 tires to that, the ride is much better now, give it a go & see if u find the right balance between good ride & rolling resistance, but use only 30psi when the car is not loaded, i normal drive alone so 30psi is fine for me, if u travel with occupants then put 32psi min, the new octavia is firmer then the earlier model, i am 101% sure about this, dunno why skoda has done this :confused:

You must have opted for the 17" alloy upgrade which included sports suspension.

30psi is too low. You'll suffer from faster wearing on the inner and outer edges.

You must have opted for the 17" alloy upgrade which included sports suspension.

30psi is too low. You'll suffer from faster wearing on the inner and outer edges.

no i havent taken the sport suspension package, i got the basic 1.8tsi ambient with 17" zenith & 225/45/17 yokohama decibel tires, these tires are suppose to be smooth but i still get a very harsh ride from the car, the earlier octavia was so much smoother even with 17" on them, skoda as made the new octavia much stiffer i feel, anything more then 30psi feels like a very harsh ride, so i feel 30psi is a good balance in my case as i always drive alone..

Personally I'm going with 2.2-2.3 bar (33 psi) in the 195/55R15 tyres. I don't fancy going any lower than that and the ride is perfectly fine. Then again, I'm used to a much harder ride in my Corsa OPC (where I use 2.75 bar (40 psi) btw :)).

no i havent taken the sport suspension package, i got the basic 1.8tsi ambient with 17" zenith & 225/45/17 yokohama decibel tires, these tires are suppose to be smooth but i still get a very harsh ride from the car, the earlier octavia was so much smoother even with 17" on them, skoda as made the new octavia much stiffer i feel, anything more then 30psi feels like a very harsh ride, so i feel 30psi is a good balance in my case as i always drive alone..

As said watch your tyre wear. Short term you wont see anything. But 10, 15, 20K down the line you'll start seeing the edges wearing a lot faster and unevenly.

I have to say that my new 59 FL VRs is spot on the same as yours by the sound of it. I drive the same journey as I did in my lowered 08 Mondeo Titanium, but feel EVRY single bump and joint in the road. It feels bloody amazing in the bends tho, so I can forgive it. Feel identical to the test car I drove, so not unhappy!!

Personally I think you need to be very careful running with under inflated tyres, because if you were to have an accident in which someone was injured or killed & the police find that (during the course of their investigation) you have under inflated tyres they may put that down as a contributory factor, which would put you very deeply in the brown stuff!

I have to question the wisdom of it, not only do you increase your tyre wear, you'll probably use more fuel too, probably increase the chance of an accident.

Nah, sorry not worth the hassle, I'd put up with the harsher ride than take the chance of being in trouble with plod & some money grabbing lawyer..

Whilst dropping the tyre pressure may aleviate the problem I agree it's not an acceptable solution. There have been many here who have reported the ride being harsh though and some who have said that he pre FL cars were okay so what has changed. I don't think the suspension is a different design so maybe they've change the spring/damper settings or are the tyres now a lower profile ?

I'm hoping that when they time comes to replace the tyres then a different brand will make a significant improvement. I have been happy with all the other aspects of the car but the ride does let it down badly in my opinion.