MPG after running in ?

Trotts

After a couple of weeks I have completed my first 1000 miles in the vRS and love it ! However I notice my mpg is not as good as on my TDi which had done 24K when sold. I have read some threads on this but is the general view that this improves as engine gets loose ?? My last tank worked out at 44 mpg, which was a good mixture of all sorts of driving, good urban etc. I had hoped for 50 plus

At 14k miles..

I'm getting about 44 - 47 mpg overall now with mixed driving according to the trip comuter and I get usually around 550 miles form a fully brimmed tank (55l) which is around 45mpg.

About right and previous TDi was about the same, maybe a tad more economical.

Harder driving sees low 40s over a full tank but remap doesnt help!

50+ possible when taking it much easier but means discipline! :D

Things will improve after a few miles. My Furbie TDi did 54mpg with 35k on the clock on average, but my vRS with 13k does 50mpg with the extra performance. If you drove your TDi hard enough to keep up the same speed as the vRS then you would get similiar mpg and don't forget with the 6 speed box the vRS is a fair bit heavier too. One option is moving to Scotland where I got 64mpg off two tankfuls of 70mph touring in the Highlands with the TDi - can't wait to go back with the vRS, but not too bothered what the MPG will be as the roads up there are wonderfully fast and deserted.

I'm getting about 44 - 47 mpg overall now with mixed driving according to the trip comuter and I get usually around 550 miles form a fully brimmed tank (55l) which is around 45mpg.

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Why am I getting 44 - 46mpg's on a tank and averaging 380 - 420 miles a tank?! Do I have a smaller tank? I hope not!! :confused:

I'm driving 140 miles to work and back, vast majority on dual carriageway / motorway sat about 80 - 85 on cruise control... someone's ripping me off somewhere along the line!!!!!!!! :thumbdwn:

Livid.

I'm driving 140 miles to work and back' date=' vast majority on dual carriageway / motorway sat about 80 - 85 on cruise control... someone's ripping me off somewhere along the line!!!!!!!! :thumbdwn:

Livid.[/quote']Try an experiment, do a few journey's at 70 and see if it improves?

I am currently averaging 54 round town and on my last long drive did about 65mpg

Just a thought?

Also don't let the engine get bogged down in 5th and 6th gears...

Set to trip computer to MPG and try driving using your normal technique, then try keeping the revs around the 2k RPM mark and see what happens to your MPG

17K miles on my vRS and normal driving/cruising along now gets me 50 to 55 mpg. I've had 60mpg average when really trying for though :)

Took a trip down to teh Goodwood Festival of Speed which for me is a 6 hour trip. 80mph cruise on the m-way including the occasional queue and some cross-country stuff at the end of it, the air-con was running most of the way too. An average of 56mpg took me by surprise :eek:

Don't the newer vRS's have a lower 6th gear?? that will hurt economy compared to an older one.

The new vRS's have a closer ratio box, which according to official figures reduces economy by 4 MPG down to 52 MPG average. Autocar tested it and got an average MPG of around 42 MPG, which is more or less exactly what I have showing on my no2 average reading, mixture of city and backroad driving. Mines done 11.5k miles.

Like Trotts, I came to a vRS after having a TDI, and was initially gutted by the fuel consumption (61 mpg regularly on the TDI, 41 mpg on my first vRS tank).

After 5K miles, my vRS is now producing 54+ mpg on a run, and about 46 mpg around town. The vRS seems to take much longer to warm up then the TDI did, and is significantly thirstier when cold than when up to temperature.

You do have to work the 'box to get the best out of it, and using the cruise control helps economy because it tends to be less aggressive on the accelerator than your right foot.

My TDI took about 12K miles to achieve its best consumption figures, so I expect my vRS to continue to improve for the next 6 months. So don't panic.

I get between 280 and 320 miles to 35 litres... Although more often than not it's 280...

:thumbup:

@ Bryand - Yeah I agree mate. The car does take a while to warm up (I am nearly at the 12k mark now), average economy for me tends to be about 55 at the absolute maximum, normally more like 45-50 or 35-43 if giving it a thrashing.

My mate says he gets 34 average in a 1.8T Ibiza so I have to wonder if the Fabia is really a good choice if one only does short runs if fuel economy is important. Certainly its not returning the kind of MPG's I was initially hoping for, but I've given up caring and started having fun instead. :)

Why am I getting 44 - 46mpg's on a tank and averaging 380 - 420 miles a tank?! Do I have a smaller tank? I hope not!! :confused:

I'm driving 140 miles to work and back' date=' vast majority on dual carriageway / motorway sat about 80 - 85 on cruise control... someone's ripping me off somewhere along the line!!!!!!!! :thumbdwn:

Livid.[/quote']

I'm talking about a fully brimmed tank. I actually release the vent valve to get more in. Without this the tank will appear full at around 45 litres.

I can just get in 55 litre when the tank is almost empty usuing this method. This is how i'm getting to 550 miles per tank, but still mpg works out the same whatever its just easier to calculate mpg against mileage when I know I've put in bang on 55litres. Something I've got into a habit of doing..

44-46mpg sounds about right.

An advantage of a community like ours is that there's a lot of accumulated information on the site, and looking at reported fuel consumption for the Fabia vRS (along with my own logs) I found 37 postings from 28 different drivers giving information on their average mpg. The Briskodian average mpg for a Fabia vRS turned out to be 48.2 MPG - a particularly useless statistic since we all drive differently, but at least it's a ballpark figure.

There were 28 entries relating MPG to miles on the clock. The correlation coefficient between miles covered and mpg is almost zero - in other words mpg doesn't appear to increase as a function of miles covered. Put it another way, whatever is causing our mpg to alter over time, it's having a bigger impact than mileage alone.

Three contributors gave data for successive mileages. In all cases economy has increased with mileage, but in two (and I'm one of them) it decreases in the early days before it begins to rise. This probably coincided with 'playtime': as we got more confident with the car, we explored its capabilities and drank more fuel. Then the car bedded in, we understood the car better and the novelty wore off a bit, so economy rises.

Maybe the simplest way to put it is that economy is inversely proportional to fun.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.4 TDi Fabia returns over 70mpg average( when not thrashing, but including towing, jams etc), but dropped 5 or more mpg after first service, with wallowing behaviour. A little working out showed that they had dropped the tyre pressure pressures. I'm now running at 37psi front 35 rear (more than handbook suggests). Handling is much better ; mpg average 73; no loss of ride comfort and no obvious wear on any tyres. Has anybody else tried to change pressures and seen a difference?

Viewer