Yeti V BMW X1

CharlieB72

I also have to add neither the Yeti nor the X1 are quite as pretty as the Tiguan imho

Of course you are welcome to your opinion...

but I can't get to grips with the suggestion of a Tiguan being pretty! In my eyes its appallingly bland and quite hard to distinguish from the rear from Grannies favourite - the Golf Plus.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I can't get to grips with the suggestion of a Tiguan being pretty! In my eyes its appallingly bland and quite hard to distinguish from the rear from Grannies favourite - the Golf Plus.

As I have said before, I do not particularly like the styling of the Yeti. I also think the Tiguan looks better. But the Yeti suits my needs much better and it's cheaper. That is why I have ordered one despite having had a VW in the family for the last 30 years!

(2 Polos, 3 Golfs and 3 Passats)

Personally I prefer the exterior looks of the Tiguan, but the interior (and price...) of the Yeti.

The dash of the Tiguan looks like it's been lifted straight from the golf plus, and climate doesnt make an entrance until high up on the spec lists.

I personally don’t think BMW would be looking at the Yeti as a direct competitor, the price point is a bit too far away. There is no doubt that many X1 owners will buy the car because of the badge and not consider the cars actual merits. The Yeti in pure ability (not having driven one yet) I assume will probably be slightly better off road and slightly inferior on road. It’s interior looks to be well built from my brief acquaintance and apart from the slight 4x4 hearse look to the front I like the car. It’s seems a very honest thing. I would look at one seriously if only they did a quicker version (and NO I do not want to chip one up).

Jiwah I disagree with your residual comment however. You discount the car now and pay for it later. There is no way round it and Skoda should have held off the discounting for a few months at least, from what I have seen and read, it is a very good car indeed. Or can’t they sell it?

Jiwah I disagree with your residual comment however. You discount the car now and pay for it later. There is no way round it and Skoda should have held off the discounting for a few months at least, from what I have seen and read, it is a very good car indeed. Or can’t they sell it?

I think you've missed the point.

As this is a new market for Skoda the GMFV figures are likely to be conservative.

So for example, take a Yeti Elegance at £22K that is discounted to £20K. The GMFV figure is say £8.5K, therefore the predicted residual value is 39%. Now, if the vehicle fetches £10K after 3 years (which is entirely feasible) then the actual residual against purchase price is 50%. Which is probably better than the X1, which sold without extras would probably be around 50% but when loaded with extras will probably be closer to 42 to 45%.

And as for sales figures, for September BMW were up 9.33%, Skoda up 23.57% (neither of which matched MG which were up 577.78% :eek: - from 9 to 61 cars).

Yep. I agree with you. Tiguan is so ugly from the rear, and side. It's out of proportion. The Yeti should not be compared to an X1 - it's a different market.

If people think they'll look good driving around in a brand new BMW X1 (or any other expensive brand new SUV) in the middle of a reccession - then good luck to them.....they're jobs/businesses must be a lot more secure than most.

My money is going on the Yeti - as i don't want to sending that 'look at me' and a message of false prosperity out. Some people need realise the world is a different place from 2-3 years ago. The Yeti has come out at just the right time and at the right price.

I think you've missed the point.

As this is a new market for Skoda the GMFV figures are likely to be conservative.

So for example, take a Yeti Elegance at £22K that is discounted to £20K. The GMFV figure is say £8.5K, therefore the predicted residual value is 39%. Now, if the vehicle fetches £10K after 3 years (which is entirely feasible) then the actual residual against purchase price is 50%. Which is probably better than the X1, which sold without extras would probably be around 50% but when loaded with extras will probably be closer to 42 to 45%.

And as for sales figures, for September BMW were up 9.33%, Skoda up 23.57% (neither of which matched MG which were up 577.78% :eek: - from 9 to 61 cars).

I don’t think I have missed the point, as I do understand what a PCP is. In fact at Lookers I sold around 80%+ of all the dealerships PCP sales (we had around 7 salespeople too). I think you might misunderstand what a GFMV is. It is the minimum figure a manufacturer believes the model should be worth. It should always be an honest attempt to be lower than the actual residual values as

a) the Manufacture would go bust (for obvious reasons) if it always got this wrong

B) One of the original ideas behind this (from the Ford inception of it) was to give the customer a bit of a deposit for the next car.

Having had VAG cars on PCPs I can testify that I have never come away with any amount of note (I used voluntary termination on my Toledo as it was so far behind it’s GMFV). The X1 GMFVs are reasonably high as a percentage, as this is not only common for new model BMWs, but also because the dealers are not discounting yet. In the future these figures will no doubt take a hit as money becomes available for offers and discounting. Audi have 14% to play with if they need to when selling cars. That will impact noticeably on the residuals of any car they PCP. BMW too have a similar problem with the 3 series as they can be had with a similar large discount. I haggled about £5.5K off my then new 123D and the resulting GMFV is lowish, but the overall SIV of the vehicle means it will struggle to find any equity in it after 3 years. It currently is just about worth it’s outstanding finance but it is sadly a similar figure to it’s SIV.

Personally I seriously doubt a £20K Yeti will fetch 50% (SIV) as you quote when it comes time to trade in and hope that in 3 years time we can revive this thread and see who needs the spoon for the humble pie (I do have one on standby for most occasions, but naturally rarely use it).:D

Yep. I agree with you. Tiguan is so ugly from the rear, and side. It's out of proportion. The Yeti should not be compared to an X1 - it's a different market.

If people think they'll look good driving around in a brand new BMW X1 (or any other expensive brand new SUV) in the middle of a reccession - then good luck to them.....they're jobs/businesses must be a lot more secure than most.

My money is going on the Yeti - as i don't want to sending that 'look at me' and a message of false prosperity out. Some people need realise the world is a different place from 2-3 years ago. The Yeti has come out at just the right time and at the right price.

Most magazines think the X1 is an alternative to the 3 series touring, with the option of 4x4 and a lower price. The interior space is roughly similar (it would be as the X1 is based on the 3 series chassis) but the materials used on some surfaces are a little bit more low rent than the 3 series. Personally I suspect it won’t be the hit BMW hope it will be, as it may be a good drivers SUV, but it sits between too many stools. Ie 3 series touring, X3 etc. You could buy a top of the range X Trail if you wanted a real soft-roader or numerous estate cars if you wanted the load carrying capacity.

A for driving around in a recession in a new SUV????? It’s emissions are similar to the Yetis and if someone can afford to buy the car of their choice I think that it is their decision. Without trawling through the emission figures for the Yeti, the 177 bhp X1 4x4 version emits around 153 gms of CO2, which is slightly lower than the Yetis 170BHP I think? I understand there is a lot of anti-BMW feeling on a Skoda site but calling people for driving around in a new economical environmentally friendly-ish car seems odd for a car forum. Unless you don't like cars without a Skoda badge?

As I have said several times before I like the Yeti but I don’t think it is a rival for the X!, not because it isn’t a good car, but Skoda wouldn’t be looking at the X1 as it’s main rival. I feel sure too that BMW would not look at the Yeti as it’s main rival. It will however be keeping an eye out for the Q3 when it arrives.

Having had VAG cars on PCPs I can testify that I have never come away with any amount of note (I used voluntary termination on my Toledo as it was so far behind it’s GMFV). The X1 GMFVs are reasonably high as a percentage, as this is not only common for new model BMWs, but also because the dealers are not discounting yet. In the future these figures will no doubt take a hit as money becomes available for offers and discounting. Audi have 14% to play with if they need to when selling cars. That will impact noticeably on the residuals of any car they PCP. BMW too have a similar problem with the 3 series as they can be had with a similar large discount. I haggled about £5.5K off my then new 123D and the resulting GMFV is lowish, but the overall SIV of the vehicle means it will struggle to find any equity in it after 3 years. It currently is just about worth it’s outstanding finance but it is sadly a similar figure to it’s SIV.

Having used PCP and Finance Lease (similar to PCP but for business, e.g. deposit, monthly payments plus balloon) for half a dozen or so cars over the years. I've always come out with money at the end.

The best was on an A4 cabriolet which achieved 64% residual value and a near £3K surplus over the balloon and the worst, a Golf GTi only recovered about £1K at the end. (This was on vehicles sold privately and not traded in and I do tend to look after my cars).

But on none of the deals (and this also applies to the Yeti, we've just ordered) has the GMFV (or balloon) using the same fianance house, varied depending on the purchase price. So whether you pay list or get maximum discount the GMFV from VW/Skoda finance (in this case) remains the same.

Personally I seriously doubt a £20K Yeti will fetch 50% (SIV) as you quote when it comes time to trade in and hope that in 3 years time we can revive this thread and see who needs the spoon for the humble pie (I do have one on standby for most occasions, but naturally rarely use it).:D

But it's a £22K car and according to Parkers (not neccesarily the most accurate I know), it'll be worth about £10.1K in 3 years.

I've tried humble pie, but it didn't agree with me :D

Having used PCP and Finance Lease (similar to PCP but for business, e.g. deposit, monthly payments plus balloon) for half a dozen or so cars over the years. I've always come out with money at the end.

The best was on an A4 cabriolet which achieved 64% residual value and a near £3K surplus over the balloon and the worst, a Golf GTi only recovered about £1K at the end. (This was on vehicles sold privately and not traded in and I do tend to look after my cars).

But on none of the deals (and this also applies to the Yeti, we've just ordered) has the GMFV (or balloon) using the same fianance house, varied depending on the purchase price. So whether you pay list or get maximum discount the GMFV from VW/Skoda finance (in this case) remains the same.

But it's a £22K car and according to Parkers (not neccesarily the most accurate I know), it'll be worth about £10.1K in 3 years.

I've tried humble pie, but it didn't agree with me :D

Parkers eat optimistic pie for breakfast. I remember we quite often had customers who produced glasses or the black book to quote figures at us for trade in. We smiled politely and pointed out that currently the car in question was say £400 behind book. It didn’t go down well but was factually correct. I always used the official guides as just that and then usually the Sales Controller would shake his head at the numbers.

I had a look at an online brokers figures. Currently Drive the deal are showing the £22.5K Yeti (inc metallic) as a £19.8K car! £2.6K discount already, nearly 12% off! That will knock the GFMV by around a grand I reckon.

Final payment (inc £75 acceptance fee) = £9300 on Drivethedeal PCP figures (10K per annum) That’s roughly only 41% of the full retail price. Probably approx correct I would guess. But you never know

I had a look at an online brokers figures. Currently Drive the deal are showing the £22.5K Yeti (inc metallic) as a £19.8K car! £2.6K discount already, nearly 12% off! That will knock the GFMV by around a grand I reckon.

Final payment (inc £75 acceptance fee) = £9300 on Drivethedeal PCP figures (10K per annum) That’s roughly only 41% of the full retail price. Probably approx correct I would guess. But you never know

The point I was making was that the GFMV will be the SAME whether you buy the car at list or get 12% discount (I know this to be true because I've seen the PCP figures for the the Yeti through Skoda finance with and without discount).

£9300 final payment is virtually 50% of what you actually paid for the car, which is probably more inportant to buyers.

The point I was making was that the GFMV will be the SAME whether you buy the car at list or get 12% discount (I know this to be true because I've seen the PCP figures for the the Yeti through Skoda finance with and without discount).

£9300 final payment is virtually 50% of what you actually paid for the car, which is probably more inportant to buyers.

When people sell cars they always quote the MRP :( . Plus once a couple of extras are put on the car the percentage of equity v GMFV will drop again as extras are worth very little when trade in time comes. I reckon that anyone getiing more than 45% on an average mileage, at 3 years old and with a couple of extras on it, will have done very well indeed.

When people sell cars they always quote the MRP :( . Plus once a couple of extras are put on the car the percentage of equity v GMFV will drop again as extras are worth very little when trade in time comes.

Agreed. And that's why BMW's, Audi's & Merc's aren't such a good deal after all, unless you're happy to live with poverty spec or choose your extras very wisely and miserly (or happen to get a very good deal on a very desireable model, like I did with the A4 soft top just after they came out).

I was interested at one point in replacing my Octavia vRS with a 330d Touring, but by the time I'd added a few reasonable extras to an SE the price had moved into a completely different sector and the PCP deal was getting ridiculous. The payments were over double what I'm paying on the Octavia and as nice a car as the 330d is, it isn't twice as good.

Agreed. And that's why BMW's, Audi's & Merc's aren't such a good deal after all, unless you're happy to live with poverty spec or choose your extras very wisely and miserly (or happen to get a very good deal on a very desireable model, like I did with the A4 soft top just after they came out).

I was interested at one point in replacing my Octavia vRS with a 330d Touring, but by the time I'd added a few reasonable extras to an SE the price had moved into a completely different sector and the PCP deal was getting ridiculous. The payments were over double what I'm paying on the Octavia and as nice a car as the 330d is, it isn't twice as good.

The % GFMV for BMW's is generally pretty good, but often these cars do high mileages so the figures look low. I do abut 20K per annum so my GFMV is quite low. But like most things in life, buying stuff is a law of diminishing returns. It does not justify not buying something you want if you can afford it though.

If I could afford a 430 would I buy one? Quite probably. Is it 10 times better than a base Octy? Probably not. But that is not relevant. It is a car I want because it better satisfies my needs and in an ideal world I would be able to afford one (I’d probably have the 911 over the Ferrari however:)). I have a good friend with a Continental Speed and having driven it can safely say it is stupendous. Is it 5 times better than my 123D? No, but boy would I swap him in a heart beat (funnily enough it is his wife’s car).

The % GFMV for BMW's is generally pretty good, but often these cars do high mileages so the figures look low. I do abut 20K per annum so my GFMV is quite low. But like most things in life, buying stuff is a law of diminishing returns. It does not justify not buying something you want if you can afford it though.

If I could afford a 430 would I buy one? Quite probably. Is it 10 times better than a base Octy? Probably not. But that is not relevant. It is a car I want because it better satisfies my needs and in an ideal world I would be able to afford one (I’d probably have the 911 over the Ferrari however:)).

In other words, it's heart versus head! If I could afford a Gallardo or 458 I would be in the fortunate position of not needing to worry too much about "value for money" or GMFV! But in the real world inhabited by most of us, these things matter.

It's easy to persuade ones self that something is "worth it" just because one "wants it". And if I was single I could make a good case for (and probably afford) a TTRS or even a 911, but sadly a wife, two kids, a horse, a dog and a cat preclude such choices (not that the last three have much say!)

I have a good friend with a Continental Speed and having driven it can safely say it is stupendous. Is it 5 times better than my 123D? No, but boy would I swap him in a heart beat (funnily enough it is his wife’s car).

Wouldn't we all? But if we also had to pick up the £2.5K monthly payments, we might think again.

A thing is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. That’s the thing about ppl on this site having pops at BMW. It’s not easy to have a pop at the vehicles dynamics, so ppl have a pop at the price. A 330D costs more than 2.0tdi Octy for pretty obvious reasons tbh, but for some it may be too expensive (I would love one, but to spec it up pushes me to my absolute maximum price for a car) and for others they just don’t want a fast car so are happy to take the Octy. The Octy is a fine choice, but so is the 330D. Sadly there is no such thing as a free lunch. But unlike yourself, I consider the 330D to be fine value for money, just it is not a cheap car.

Value for money has a different meaning for different people for different things.

You might think a 330d Touring is good value for money because the things that differentiaite it from other cars particularly appeal to you. For me, those things don't quite justify the premium. Sure the engine is a gem and the handling is sharp and intuitive, but for 9/10ths of the time my journey's don't allow me to appreciate them and during that time the ride is not great and the rest of the package is mediocre.

I also accept that for some people the badge on the bonnet transgresses all rational decision making and that must partly explain why things like the X3 and the 6 series have sold in such numbers.

That’s the thing about ppl on this site having pops at BMW. It’s not easy to have a pop at the vehicles dynamics, so ppl have a pop at the price.

I wouldn't take it personally, there's plenty on this site takes pops at Skodas too!

BMWs have never done it for me, and it has nothing to do with the price. The older ones (nineties) always looked too bland to me and the newer ones have gone too much in the other direction IMO, although one or two models are starting to look a little better now.

Value for money has a different meaning for different people for different things.

You might think a 330d Touring is good value for money because the things that differentiaite it from other cars particularly appeal to you. For me, those things don't quite justify the premium. Sure the engine is a gem and the handling is sharp and intuitive, but for 9/10ths of the time my journey's don't allow me to appreciate them and during that time the ride is not great and the rest of the package is mediocre.

I also accept that for some people the badge on the bonnet transgresses all rational decision making and that must partly explain why things like the X3 and the 6 series have sold in such numbers.

I was justifying why I thought you were wrong after you stated that Audi/BMWs were not a good deal

I wouldn't take it personally, there's plenty on this site takes pops at Skodas too!

I often quote ‘the lady doth protest too much’ at the BMW slaggers, but I think they miss the message. Nobody makes perfect cars and nobody ever will, but even though this is a Skoda forum it seems so small minded and petty to continually snipe at BMW. It reminds me of all those ‘I burnt him off good and proper’ posts where the poster didn’t realise he was the only one racing :D

Here's a video test of the Yeti v the X1.

Obviously the Yeti wins the comparison. Unless you like the X1 in which case it wins - that's the advantage of it not being in English...

VIDEO: Batalia SUV-urilor mici / stiri auto Masini.ro

And a bit on the Autocar website:

Size matters for the BMW X1 and Skoda Yeti - Anything goes

Saw an X1 at Top Gear Live last night. I was right - it is soooo ugly.... :P

I don't agree with the writer that the Yeti is too expensive, but it's interesting nonetheless to see Skoda and BMW being discussed side by side using words such as "upscale" and "premium" :)