Yeti V BMW X1

CharlieB72

I don't agree with the writer that the Yeti is too expensive, but it's interesting nonetheless to see Skoda and BMW being discussed side by side using words such as "upscale" and "premium" :)

Totally agree - though it may be expensive in number of Pounds Sterling, it is still excellent value for money given the kit fitted as standard and that seems to be ignored.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I binned the brochure for the golf GT I cancelled today. Was going for a GT, so not a basic model.

IIRC - Bolero equiv stereo upgrade - £350. Climate upgrade £250. Convenience pack (trick lights, dimming interior mirror) £200. Xenons and leather would be c£3k.

All standard on Elegance.

Sod the Yeti and the X1, there is only one decent, good looking, small off-roader

Sedici-2.jpg

That's an interesting angle from which to judge a cars beauty.

I actually like the Sedici and test reports are generally favourable, particularly for the diesel version, but they say passenger and luggage space is a bit tight. And being based on a Suzuki Swift, I should imagine it's pretty reliable too.

I was going to add that it isn't really in the same category as a Yeti or an X1, but then I had a quick look at the Whatcar report (Fiat Sedici 4x4 - Summary - New Car Review - What Car?) and they consider its rivals to be the Volvo X60 and the Discovery :eek:

I think the comparison to the Disco is appropriate. They break down a lot also.

I had a Freelander diesel on hire - blew its headgasket within 2 hours. Might have gone for one over the Yeti apart from that.

Surveys have shown that over 85% of Land Rover products are still on the road. The other 15% have actually made it home under their own power....

...and typical of a Fiat its over a repair pit. (did that come free with the car?)

It's known in the trade as an inspection pit :P and it was the only way I could see what was underneath the car (well I didn’t want to get dirty) :D

I was going to add that it isn't really in the same category as a Yeti or an X1, but then I had a quick look at the Whatcar report (Fiat Sedici 4x4 - Summary - New Car Review - What Car?) and they consider its rivals to be the Volvo X60 and the Discovery :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

It’s about the size of a Fiesta, so it’s about as small as they come in 4x4 flavour. The only decent current small off roaders I can think of are the Terrios and the brilliant Panda Cross.

The boot is a bit tight and the interior is best described as hard wearing:D, but I get 43mpg driving like a loon and with the centre transmission lock it is nigh on unstoppable in snow. I suspect it would outperform the X1 in snow and possibly the Yeti too?

Road Test: BMW XI - Road Tests, Motoring - The Independent

The Independant reckons if you can overcome the brand .....and lets face it, this is a skoda forum!:D:rofl:.....the snow monster is a no-brainer in comparison

Thanks scunjee, been following the saga of this thread but to me this article sums it up very nicely.

Currently sat in the office at home looking at the Snow-monster outside, couldn't see an X1 in it's place even if I could afford one.

There is almost a sense of wine snobbery about this thread. French is best until you taste new world wines.

As I remember Skoda had a downmarket image and was beneath contempt for some people. But what a change.

The Yeti will be my first experience of Skoda and, up to now, it has been fantastic - like a new world wine. I have spent many years in the Japanese wilderness and enjoyed most of it but the Yeti has been an eye opener.

As for BMW - arn't they the cars for men who fret about the size of certain appendages?

There is almost a sense of wine snobbery about this thread. French is best until you taste new world wines.

As I remember Skoda had a downmarket image and was beneath contempt for some people. But what a change.

As for BMW - arn't they the cars for men who fret about the size of certain appendages?

I don’t have an appendage, but I believe you are conforming to stereotypes yourself when you say this:rofl: Unless I find someones appendage under my bed, in which case I will retract this comment

I currently have a Fiat (and have owned several others over the years) and the car my BMW replaced was a Skoda. I liked the Skoda immensely, so for me it is not an ‘Us versus them issue’. I believe the two cars are built for different purposes as well as possibly different markets. So I can not be one of the people you are thinking of as a wine snob:confused:, but I do think that the X1 will be a better drivers car, if a rather expensive way to go about it.

I don’t have an appendage, but I believe you are conforming to stereotypes yourself when you say this:rofl: Unless I find someones appendage under my bed, in which case I will retract this comment

I currently have a Fiat (and have owned several others over the years) and the car my BMW replaced was a Skoda. I liked the Skoda immensely, so for me it is not an ‘Us versus them issue’. I believe the two cars are built for different purposes as well as possibly different markets. So I can not be one of the people you are thinking of as a wine snob:confused:, but I do think that the X1 will be a better drivers car, if a rather expensive way to go about it.

Oh dear! Oh dear!

Was I aiming my remarks at you?

Time to call a halt to this catfight!!!!

Please vote.

tom

There’s a vote! :eek::D Can't think there would be much point on a Skoda Forum :D We are here mainly because we like Skodas.

The second post does answers the OP’s question though. No catfighting here, just an alternative view to the ‘if it is a Skoda it must be the best’. I actually started a thread several weeks ago asking about the differences between the Yeti and Tiguan as I was looking at both vehicles as a possibly future purchase.

• 1 year later...

We are sort of looking to replace the family car at the moment. I say sort of because this is the first car since 1998 (I think) where we haven't started test driving around 18 months into ownership and replaced around the 2 year mark. The current family ride is a 57 plate Octavia Scout with 35k miles on the clock and, apart from Nav, pretty much fully loaded.

Personally and in agreement with my wife, the world would be a better place with the new Scout, the 170bhp diesel lump under the bonnet and a DSG gearbox between you and it. Oh, also interest free on the diesels as well as petrols. Unfortunately, VAG know all too well no one with any sense would then even look at the likes of the VWs or Audis if they did this. Allroad sales would plummet. The Scout has a massive boot, great 4wd and reasonable performance and economy. :)

There is a DSG Scout out soon (maybe now), but it's the 140bhp engine. So, the short list is:

BMX X3....which got discounted when I took the wife to the garage and she saw the X1 in comparison.

Another Scout, but DSG and chipped.

Yeti, DSG, diesel, chipped.

It's a tough choice. Haven't driven the Beemer or Yeti as yet, on my list of things to do over the next month.

Mark

PS Just reading through some of the other posts in the thread. My ride is an E46 M3, so I am used to BMW build quality, which is why we looked at them in the first place. That said, love the Scout and it WAS the best of the bunch we drove at the time (8-10 options tested, including A4, A6, Jag X-type, Freelander...). No badge allegiancies here, just tools for the job - M3 for me, reliable, sizeable, economical, great performing 4x4 for the family. :D

Edited by MarkyW

You have just described Elsie.

She is wonderful.

I can't recommend the Snow Monster enough. Neither can Clarkson. (see separate thread).

The remap by Ben @ Shark is brilliant. See my other threads on this.

Mike

BMX X3....which got discounted when I took the wife to the garage and she saw the X1 in comparison.

Another Scout, but DSG and chipped.

It's a tough choice. Haven't driven the Beemer or Yeti as yet, on my list of things to do over the next month.

The only fly in the ointment of the Yeti is the boot. It's not big.

If you need a big boot then I'd go for the Octavia Scout.

The only fly in the ointment of the Yeti is the boot. It's not big.

If you need a big boot then I'd go for the Octavia Scout.

It's not that small, just not as big as an Octavia. It is not dissimilar to my old BMW e39 touring. It is not deep.

You learn to pack vertically. I have removed the spare wheel false floor and tied the spare to the floor. I can either tie it up whilst it is standing up, or leave it on the floor upside down.

I have had a 5.3m tall post and banner inside the car. Luckily for me it telescopes to a lot lessemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Mike

There is a DSG Scout out soon (maybe now), but it's the 140bhp engine.

Yep. Been available now or a month or two now. Skoda doesn't do a 4x4 with the CR170 engine and DSG gearbox....yet.

There is of course the superb 4x4 estate - 3.6litre engineemoticon-0136-giggle.gif That should be well big enough.

Do you really need a diesel? I don't but wanted a 4x4 DSG and other than the superb which is too big and thirsty for my needs, the only one available was the CR140.

Mike

The build quality on the older bmws is leagues ahead of what they are now.

Your E46 M3 is well known to be one of the last 'proper' bmws.

Being a bmw fan and previous E39 M5 owner, i can say with my hand on my heart that the solid made of granite feel that you are after is very much alive in the yeti.

The X1 is only for idiots or clueless women, steer well clear!.