My car is smashed

Octygone

Got a panic phone call from my son at 11.30 this morning ....help someone has smashed into my car ............. so I quickly went to where he said he was and found this......only other problem is it is going to BP Rolls in Andover....see here for my experience with them

Kevin is OK but has a very sore neck and will be off work for a day or two....he is very upset about his car

31495.attach

31496.attach

31497.attach

Only thing that concerns me is the bent tow bar, as that requires a good amount of force.

Otherwise it all looks like it should be repairable. I guess you'll find out soon enough though, so fingers crossed for you :)

Also make sure you write down exactly what happened on a computer and print a copy out now, while it's still fresh in your mind.

Only thing that concerns me is the bent tow bar, as that requires a good amount of force.

The towbar has pushed up and snapped off on of the bolts that holds it on but the good thing is I can't see any bent parts in the spare wheel well

Edited by Octygone

You don't have to get the car repaired at the insurance companies first choice - if there's a better repairer nearby I'd insist on that one instead.

I'd also have a very good look round underneath and inside to double check for creased floor panels.

All the best for Kev mate.

:+1:

The broken tow bar rings alarm bells to me. I think the chassis will be so bent, they will write it off.

I assume as there are injuries the police have been contacted? Also get a check over by the docs asap, and notify the insurance co of injuries.

As said, as not your fault, you can get it repaired where ever you like - as the 3rd party will be paying. Also demand a like-for-like (size wise, nearest equivalent & spec) courtesy car. So technically would be Focus/Astra estate etc. Dont put up with a matiz or the other crap they will palm off on you. It wasnt your fault!

The actual tow ball/hitch is bolted on to the tow bar, and when it was hit the bolts sheared, so the hitch pivoted up into the bumper.

I called the Police when it happened as I didn't know what I should do and then went to report it later on but they weren't too worried as I had done everything required of me by law.

I added Legal Protection to my policy when I got it, and they are the ones who will sort out any personal injury claims for me.

Dad took me to the Hospital once we had got the car home and I had had a coffee. Doc explained what had happened to all my muscles and warned me what to expect.

BP Rolls are going to do it, but Direct Line made a note on the fax for the work to be overseen to make sure it was up to scratch, and that I would go over and inspect the work before bringing it home.

The other parties insurance is providing me with a free hire car, like for like.

Was pleased to get it all sorted out today. But really disappointed that my car looks like it does. Always look after my cars :(

You don't have to get the car repaired at the insurance companies first choice - if there's a better repairer nearby I'd insist on that one instead.

I'd also have a very good look round underneath and inside to double check for creased floor panels.

Have a close look at the rear door apertures too.

Boot opens, shuts and locks but doesn't seal properly, although there appears to be some movement of the lock boot and the boot lip part. Thinking the tow bar took most of the force. Will have a better look tomorrow underneath if I can.

EDIT: and just incase the worst happens, I took out GAP insurance

Edited by CarnivalClown

Lift up floor of boot as if getting out spare wheel, and see if metal floor is crumpled. Had someone go into back of my Fabia, seemingly minimal damage to mine, lot to theirs, cos bumped which got cracked is on a bloomin big metal bar (maybe same with yours). Hence no crumple zone, but sore lower back, so keep an eye on any symptoms and see your docs if any probs. You may be able to get other party to pay for any physio treatment if you need any, just speak to your legal cover people. A good physio is worth their weight in gold!

Hope you and car get better soon!

sorry to hear your bad news......ouch! your neck must be sore and stopping you doing the things you enjoy in life and that is not nice.

it looks like your cat(?) doesn't give a hoot and is intent on getting his....or he is about to **** on your chips....as if that aint already happened.

hope you get it sorted