3 months from order to delivery ?

Bald Reynard

I've posted before, to say that I ordered my Yeti (2.0 CR 110hp 4x4 'S') with the dealer on 9th October - and asked Forum members (then) what sort of delivery times I should expect. The 'received wisdom' was that it had been normally 6 - 8 weeks (on 140hp 4x4 SE models anyway). I contacted my dealer at the end of October to ask what Build Week he was expecting for my car - he didn't know for definite then, but did say that 110hp 'S' models were being built from Week 45 (early November) and mine would probably be amongst the early completions (having been one of the first of the 110 hp UK orders). With delivery 2/3 weeks after build, he said delivery would probably be early to mid December. I haven't contacted him since October (mainly because I was aware of the new Tracking System and thought he couldn't give me an answer), but just rang to ask if he now had a Build Date for my car. He checked and found that it would be built in Week 50 (2nd week in December) and so I couldn't expect delivery until mid January. He further told me, that because of delivery in January, I would PROBABLY have to pay the increased VAT rate. I was not a 'happy bunny' ! 2 questions:- 1) Should 2 months from order to build be considered a normal / acceptable time for a Yeti (I understand that, with Christmas 'in the way', a month from build to delivery is difficult to argue against !) ? 2) Should I expect to pay the increased VAT rate - I am sure I have heard (and it's been said on these Forums) that an order in October would not be required to pay the higher VAT - even if delivery is after 1st January - and Skoda UK are 'guaranteeing' that ?

Edited by Bald Reynard

I had been chasing my dealer on this subject. I originally emailed the following. This was my opinion and should not be taken as fact without professional advice, but:"In respect of the Vat position my first port of call was the HMRC website. It appears to confirm what I told you at the time. The website sets it out in the section dealing with "Advance payments and deposits" and the example quoted covers the position exactly: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/managing/special-situations/instalments.htm#1 The relevant section is below, I have highlighted the important bit in maroon: "Advance payments and depositsAn advance payment, or deposit, is a proportion of the total selling price that a customer pays before you supply them with goods or services. If you ask for an advance payment, the tax point is whichever of the following happens first:the date you issue a VAT invoice for the advance payment the date you receive the advance paymentYou include the VAT on the advance payment on the VAT Return for the period when the tax point occurs. If the customer pays you the remaining balance before the goods are delivered or the services are performed, another tax point is created when whichever of the following happens first:you issue a VAT invoice for the balance you receive payment of the balanceSo you include the VAT on the balance on the return for the period when the tax point occurs. ExampleA customer wants to buy a bicycle from you. The total price is £200 including VAT and they pay you a deposit of £50 (including £6.52 VAT) on 1 July. You account for the £6.52 VAT on the return that covers 1 July. Before delivery your customer then pays you the balance of £150 (including VAT of £19.56) on 1 December and you account for the VAT of £19.56 on the return that covers 1 December."Obviously you will need to take professional advice but it appears clear enough to me.My logic is:Assuming a final payment of £15,000 the potential Vat increase on January 1st is 2.5%, £375.I would have to invest that £15,000 with interest at 3% (after tax, if I could get it!) for 10 months to get that return (in reality it would be a slightly shorter period because the interest is compounded). So it would be very much in my interest (no pun intended) to pay you the full amount before December 31st. The only risk I take is that you go bust before I take delivery, although I can cover that by paying with a Visa Debit Card. The Which site sets out the protection available re Visa Debit Cards see: http://www.which.co.uk/advice/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-visa-debit-cards/index.jspI would appreciate it if you would discuss this with your company accountant, it is money that I will no doubt be spending on accessories. This scenario appears to work in my situation where I am paying cash, I don't know what the situation would be if there were other financing involved. We are only in this situation because a change in Vat rate is never usually known in advance. Changes like this are usually only announced in the budget speech usually "to take effect from 6 o'clock tonight" thus nobody gets the opportunity to manipulate the tax point. There is nothing illegal in this as long as either you issue a proper tax invoice or I really do pay you the money before December 31."When I didn't get a reply I phoned and was told the following. I asked for confirmation and then got the following email:"Just to confirm the scheduled build week is 49 and the VAT Increase will not affect your order as Skoda themselves will honor orders already placed that are due for delivery in the early part of next year."If this doesn't happen I will not be a happy bunny!tom

When I placed my order I sat next to the dealer as he looked things up on the Skoda system, there was a section which dealt with when orders were placed and what prices were guaranteed by Skoda. From memory the variables concerned were: when the order was placed; when it was consigned (which I understood to mean built in this context) and when it was delivered. The guarantees were to protect against: Skoda increases and VAT increases Obviously the only one the customer has any control over is when they place the order, but even on that basis the dealer should have been able to tell you at the time of order which bits Skoda were guaranteeing and which they were not. In our situation we were able to book the build slot on the day - but even so the dealer wasn't completely unequivocal as to what was guaranteed (or not). My understanding, given the parameters at the time, was that we were price protected re:VAT but not price protected re: Skoda increases. Given we ordered early October with a build week of 47 I would expect your situation to be the same.

My reply did have spaces and paragraphs, honest!tom

Thanks Sanqhar. I also put a lot more spaces and paragraphs in my post than are shown - I assume it's problems with the temporary 'back-up' site ! Yours is a long e-mail, but very helpful. I think I've 'got your drift' and I'll do what you did - write / e-mail the dealer and ask for a written confirmation that my order won't be subject to the VAT rise.

Edited by Bald Reynard

When I placed my order I sat next to the dealer as he looked things up on the Skoda system, there was a section which dealt with when orders were placed and what prices were guaranteed by Skoda. From memory the variables concerned were: when the order was placed; when it was consigned (which I understood to mean built in this context) and when it was delivered. The guarantees were to protect against: Skoda increases and VAT increases Obviously the only one the customer has any control over is when they place the order, but even on that basis the dealer should have been able to tell you at the time of order which bits Skoda were guaranteeing and which they were not. In our situation we were able to book the build slot on the day - but even so the dealer wasn't completely unequivocal as to what was guaranteed (or not). My understanding, given the parameters at the time, was that we were price protected re:VAT but not price protected re: Skoda increases. Given we ordered early October with a build week of 47 I would expect your situation to be the same.

Thanks Weaver. As I said to Sanqhar, I'm going to contact my dealer and try and get some reassurance / confirmation about not paying the VAT rise. It's interesting to note (and comforting) that (at least) two other people are in the 'same boat' as me on this.

I know there's been a lot of debate on the Octavia II forum regard this issue as some members are looking at 14 week delivery times.

For what ever reason there does appear to be delays with the TDI 110 & 170. I know aerofurb has been waiting a long time for his 170 and the build date keeps yo-yoing all over the place.

Mine arrived in the U.K. 2 weeks 2 days after build which included at least a week sat in Emden, Germany. The dealer indicated that it may take 10 working days to get to them from the docks but fortunately it was delivered on the 3rd working day and I collected two days after that. Build to delivery 3 weeks 2 days.

Regard paragraphing you currently have to tell it too in computer speak I have found out. You need a < followed directly by br/> at the end of the sentence then repeat this at the beginning of the next line then write your new sentence on the line after that, hope thats understandable as I cannot demo it.

As Plumber has said, my CR170 build date has moved around a bit. It started off Wk45, went to Wk43 and is now slated for Wk48 (this week). My man, James at Allams has been off last two days so perhaps I'll have some good news tomorrow when he returns because, as of Tuesday, no chassis/engine number had been issued to point to a definite build date.

With the slipping build date, I did ask Allams for clarification on the VAT increase and also possible SUK price increases and guaranteed value of my Fabia as part ex.

It perhaps shows the quality of Allams but they said without hesitation that my deal stands as agreed, regardless of delivery date. I do not know if they were acting on SUK rulings or taking it on their own back - I get the idea it was the latter which as I say shows them to be good eggs in my eyes.

My order for the CR170 went in on the first possible day as far as I know - 16 Sep. Allams reckon on 3-5 weeks for delivery from build - Christmas may get in the way...

PS Put a load of
in to keep Plumber happy, previewed it and all it did was put loads of
in - took them out and the preview shows normal paragraphing - wonder what will happen when I hit 'submit'....

As Plumber has said, my CR170 build date has moved around a bit. It started off Wk45, went to Wk43 and is now slated for Wk48 (this week). My man, James at Allams has been off last two days so perhaps I'll have some good news tomorrow when he returns because, as of Tuesday, no chassis/engine number had been issued to point to a definite build date.

With the slipping build date, I did ask Allams for clarification on the VAT increase and also possible SUK price increases and guaranteed value of my Fabia as part ex.

It perhaps shows the quality of Allams but they said without hesitation that my deal stands as agreed, regardless of delivery date. I do not know if they were acting on SUK rulings or taking it on their own back - I get the idea it was the latter which as I say shows them to be good eggs in my eyes.

My order for the CR170 went in on the first possible day as far as I know - 16 Sep. Allams reckon on 3-5 weeks for delivery from build - Christmas may get in the way...

PS Put a load of
in - took them out and the preview shows normal paragraphing - wonder what will happen when I hit 'submit'....

Well at least you got to demonstrate those daft br things (do hate computers sometimes), couldn't get it to work for me.

Take it the 16th Sept was for the 170, my first order went in on the 5th August, built WK37, believe it's now with Yonderend in Scotland.

Order no. 2 to correct incorrect build of the first one went in about the 22nd Sept after much debate as to take as is, cancel, re-order and do I amend order if I re-order.

Edit

Re those br things again with another computer I have access to had to do something slightly different so is it software your running? Could ask a computer tech but the answer usually is as understandable as binary code 01011010 01000101 01110100 01101100 (at least I think I know this one; Yeti).

Edited by The Plumber

guys...apologies beforehand...sod the br thingies! My dealer in the same vein as Aero's by the looks of things. They have guaranteed the value of my octy and no vat/price increases will be passed on to me. i'm not the most patient bunny on the planet but this certainly assists in keeping my equilibrium!

I think Scunjee has the right idea.....................Use a row of dots instead of spaces...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................or paragraphs!........................................................................................................................tom

PS Put a load of

Thanks Aerofurb - useful info, which (if it's OK ?) I'll use when I speak to my dealer. PS The 'Thanks' button on the original website is now missing (hence this 'proper' Reply) - I assume another problem with the 'back-up' site ?!

guys...apologies beforehand...sod the br thingies! My dealer in the same vein as Aero's by the looks of things. They have guaranteed the value of my octy and no vat/price increases will be passed on to me. i'm not the most patient bunny on the planet but this certainly assists in keeping my equilibrium!

As with my reply to Aerofurb, thanks Scunjee.

I had a phone call from Allams this afternoon with the great news that my CR170 has been built and despatched from the factory. Apparently the new vehicle order and tracking system has taken most of the week to settle down hence the delay in finding the info out.

Still in with a chance to take delivery before Christmas - perhaps...

I had a phone call from Allams this afternoon with the great news that my CR170 has been built and despatched from the factory. Apparently the new vehicle order and tracking system has taken most of the week to settle down hence the delay in finding the info out.

Still in with a chance to take delivery before Christmas - perhaps...

Fantastic news aerofurb, .............................do you know the build date? be interesting to see how long she takes to get to you..............................Via Sheerness rather than Grimsby I would think.......................PS dots are good for me thanks scunjee.

Hi have not managed to sign in since system problems so have had to sign up again (previously `itey`).Good news from my dealer my snow monster was produced last week and is now in Ebdon waiting for a ship so hopefully could be at dealer by mid December. (Will just miss birthday ) 2wd Corrida Red 110d SE .This will make it 11 weeks from order, keeping every thing crossed for a quick smooth north sea crossing

My Ambition 2.0 CR 170 Candy White was built last week. Passed inspection point 8, so awaits delivery to the importer this week.Prediction of manufacture in week 48 from more than 6 weks ago held. It will turn out to be a total delivery time of around 8 weeks.

My Ambition 2.0 CR 170 Candy White was built last week. Passed inspection point 8, so awaits delivery to the importer this week.Prediction of manufacture in week 48 from more than 6 weks ago held. It will turn out to be a total delivery time of around 8 weeks.

Sounds like you might be driving it around very soon best of luck.

Hi have not managed to sign in since system problems so have had to sign up again (previously `itey`).Good news from my dealer my snow monster was produced last week and is now in Ebdon waiting for a ship so hopefully could be at dealer by mid December. (Will just miss birthday ) 2wd Corrida Red 110d SE .This will make it 11 weeks from order, keeping every thing crossed for a quick smooth north sea crossing

It will be well worth the wait. I cant belive how lucky I was, Test drove the Demo on 7 Nov and bought it there and then. Picked it up on 10 Nov with 1.5k on the clock. Made up with it. As I say it will be worth the wait.

Got my 110PS S 4x4 on Friday 27th November (ordered in September). Delightful to drive btw!

That's good news Finebone - exactly the same model as I've ordered (and as others have said, I think it could be the first 110hp 4x4 'S' in the country !). I'd be intrigued to hear more of your thoughts on it, with a bit of usage. By the way, exactly what date in September did you order it - that might give me a clue as to when I might get mine (ordered on 9th October) ?