Cancelling cruise control

cheeky

I'm a bit confused with the cruise control system at the moment, I'm sure some motorway driving and experimenting when there's no traffic about will sort it out.

My question is: it cancels when you apply the brakes, but how does the system actually detect that the brakes are being applied? Would it be by the same sensor that actuates the brake lights? If so, this would explain why it seemed reluctant to disengage by using the brakes (as per another thread, my brake lights are only working with some serious pedal pressure, going into the dealer this afternoon, hopefully before someone rear-ends me).

to answer the question though, yes, the switch to control the brakelights also disengages cruise. It's far better to disengage the cruise on the stalk control as this saves flashing brake lights. Pressing the clutch in to disengage cruise is also going cause unnecassary and excessive wear on the clutch.

To get a smooth transistion from cruise to normal driving, press the gas pedal until you feel the car start to accelarate slowly, then manually disengage cruise and maintain your speed as you normally would.

After a while you will find you know what particular throttle position the cruise is operating at and you can disengage cruise without any noticeable change in speed

HTH

Thanks - would explain why it didn't disengage on braking too easily. Once I get the brake pedal sensor sorted out, I'll try again and hope it's better.

Off to the dealer now... I wonder what kind of courtesy car I'll get. As I only booked it in a couple of hours ago, could be anything

to answer the question though' date=' yes, the switch to control the brakelights also disengages cruise. It's far better to disengage the cruise on the stalk control as this saves flashing brake lights. Pressing the clutch in to disengage cruise is also going cause unnecassary and excessive wear on the clutch.

To get a smooth transistion from cruise to normal driving, press the gas pedal until you feel the car start to accelarate slowly, then manually disengage cruise and maintain your speed as you normally would.

After a while you will find you know what particular throttle position the cruise is operating at and you can disengage cruise without any noticeable change in speed

HTH[/quote']

How do you disengage the cruise manually ???? only way I have found to disengage mine is with either brake peddle (tap) or clutch peddle :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

That's the one thing I really hate about my Fabia... the cruise control disengage.

On my previous car (Mitsubishi Galalant V6) it was very simple, just move the cruise-control flipper towards the steering wheel.. simple as that, no clutches or brakes required. No problem to use the cc in busy traffic.

With the Fabia this really is a pain... I don't want to apply the brakes because of the brake-lights, I don't want to apply the clutch because of wear, and flicking the on-off switch is also not that convenient.

The tip above, to accelate and then ... don't understand what to do exactly (Sorry, I'm dutch) also doesn't work for me.. I don't want to accelarate, I want to slow down a bit... without braking.

To slow down the speed you're cruising at, press and hold the button on the end of the stalk, the minus/set button and the set speed will decrease.

Mine's all fine and dandy now; new brake switch sensor has cured 3 problems in one fell swoop. And they did it will I waited in about 10 minutes. Can't be bad...

That's the one thing I really hate about my Fabia... the cruise control disengage.

With the Fabia this really is a pain... I don't want to apply the brakes because of the brake-lights' date=' I don't want to apply the clutch because of wear, and flicking the on-off switch is also not that convenient.[/quote']

so what is not convenient about moving finger up to indicator switch and turning cruise off then :confused: :confused:

so what is not convenient about moving finger up to indicator switch and turning cruise off then :confused: :confused:

I want to be able to cancel the cruise control (for slower traffic) without applying brakes/clutch and after cancelling it I want to be able to resume at the same speed I was travelling on before. This seems to be impossible with the Fabia.

I want to be able to cancel the cruise control (for slower traffic) without applying brakes/clutch and after cancelling it I want to be able to resume at the same speed I was travelling on before. This seems to be impossible with the Fabia.

With respect mate, you need to re-read the manual! Turning off cruise is a one-flick operation (slide to right) and to resume to the same speed you'd previously set is one slide to the left. Couldn't be easier.

With respect mate, you need to re-read the manual! Turning off cruise is a one-flick operation (slide to right) and to resume to the same speed you'd previously set is one slide to the left. Couldn't be easier.

Okay, thanks! Was not aware that it kept the set speed in memory which allows resuming. :thumbup:

Nevertheless I still consider the slide-switch far from optimal.

Okay' date=' thanks! Was not aware that it kept the set speed in memory which allows resuming. :thumbup:

Nevertheless I still consider the slide-switch far from optimal.[/quote']

to my knowledge it doesn't as soon as you switch it off at the switch you have to re-set speed.

to my knowledge it doesn't as soon as you switch it off at the switch you have to re-set speed.

Sorry - you're wrong. If you click it completley over to the right, yes, you do switch it fully off and have to re-set. But if you briefly flick to the right you simply dis-engage and can re-engage to the same speed previously set by a breif flick to the left.

The slide switch is far from optimal.....?

You don't want to brake

You don't want to press the clutch...

What on earth would you want that's more optimal than a slide switch? Thought control?

I guess I have been spoiled with Japanese cars then before :D

In the Mitsu Galant V6 I had before the Fabia I had an extra "flipper" connected to the steering wheel:

* pushing upwards: increase speed

* pushing downwards: decrease speed, set speed if nothing in memory or resume with memorized speed after cancel

* pulling towards the steering wheel: cancel cruise control

(and of course the brake/clutch things also work)

Now that is what I call a good cruise control user interface. Besides that there was even a fancy light to show that the car was on running with cruise control locked. Fancy heh... In a VW Golf there's also a light but that's already active when cruise control is enabled but there is no speed lock :confused:

The sliding switch is in a spring-loaded central position once switched on and can be moved by an equal amount left and right about that position without switching off.

The sliding switch is in a spring-loaded central position once switched on and can be moved by an equal amount left and right about that position without switching off.

so switching to the off postition is sprung loaded like the resume postition then is it ? :confused:

Okay' date=' thanks! Was not aware that it kept the set speed in memory which allows resuming. :thumbup:

Nevertheless I still consider the slide-switch far from optimal.[/quote']

You are driving a cheap eastern european super mini, not a lux limo, be glad you have cruise control at all.

so switching to the off postition is sprung loaded like the resume postition then is it ? :confused:

There are two ways of switching off using the stalk. (1) using the quick flick which allows re-setting later and (2) pushing the slider firmly past the detent to switch cruise off entirely.

If you mean temporarily off - as is the case when the brake pedal or clutch pedal are operated - then the answer is yes.