My car In snow

Its the cold temperatures that affect the grip NOT the make

'Summer' Tyres only grip when warm...You need winter tyres that have a different rubber compound

Another 'Myth' is the tyre pattern....It doesnt matter what you have..they still wont work in snow and ice

My 1.4 estate in snow is fine. Not much grip of course, but never got stuck once in the same places other struggled.

I have new tyres on the front, and some balding Michelens on the back. Gotta be the only time I have been pleased to have traction control.

Had to go out yesterday 12 miles in the middle of a'Whiteout' on country roads in rural Perthshire in Scotland. Starting straight up 3 mile steepish hill, after anti-skid indicator came on for first 5 yards every thing was perfect grip. even when I had to slow up rather quick, '1 car upside down at side of road,the car following it

too closely had to swerve lost it and went through fence into field 40 yards further on. 2 badly injured in overturned Audi, I injured in new Fiesta in field. My 1.9td Fabia 1 estate stuck like glue even when Ambulance and Police car came 'racing up on wrong side of road'! Normally don't make a habit of going out in the middle

of a 'Whiteout' but it was an emergency with my wife. At least it proved the superb balance and grip of my Fabia 1.9td Elegance estate in those conditions.

Snobbie45 (Brian) :yes: :yes:

Been out in mine this evening to see Avatar at the Odeon... car handled rather well!

Switched off the ASR (TCS too all you normal people) and it pulled nicely on thick snow and compacted snow - ice etc. Just have to take it easy, its not as good as a pair of ski's ;)

Had to go out yesterday 12 miles in the middle of a'Whiteout' on country roads in rural Perthshire in Scotland. Starting straight up 3 mile steepish hill, after anti-skid indicator came on for first 5 yards every thing was perfect grip. even when I had to slow up rather quick, '1 car upside down at side of road,the car following it

too closely had to swerve lost it and went through fence into field 40 yards further on. 2 badly injured in overturned Audi, I injured in new Fiesta in field. My 1.9td Fabia 1 estate stuck like glue even when Ambulance and Police car came 'racing up on wrong side of road'! Normally don't make a habit of going out in the middle

of a 'Whiteout' but it was an emergency with my wife. At least it proved the superb balance and grip of my Fabia 1.9td Elegance estate in those conditions.

Snobbie45 (Brian) :yes: :yes:

Same car but I bet better tires.

• 2 weeks later...

my 1.9TDI state (06 plate) is fantastic in the snow, one of the most surefooted cars I've ever driven (apart from my Scout of course!) - and that 's in the highlands, where we reckon you lot darn sarf are wimps - I've just come into work through 2 feet of snow, and more still coming ;o)

tires make no difference in this kind of weather reali unless they are a summer or winter compound plus brand new tires have less grip until they are worn in! Try letting about 3-5 psi out of your tires this will increse tire surface and increase grip....dont expect miricles though.

I am sorry to disagree with you. Tyres make a huge difference whatever the weather, particularly winter tyres at this time of the year. It is not recommended to reduce tyre pressure in the snow, on the contrary i tis important to maintain full manufacturers recommended pressures. The only time that it may be of benefit is if stuck. Running around with under inflated tyres at this time will make it more likely that a trip into a ditch or hedge takes place because of unpredictable handling.

tires make no difference in this kind of weather reali unless they are a summer or winter compound plus brand new tires have less grip until they are worn in! Try letting about 3-5 psi out of your tires this will increse tire surface and increase grip....dont expect miricles though.

i did say unless its summer and winter compounds but tyre treads ect make little difference in icy conditions, also i was taught that reducing presure slightly in snow can help but yeh maybe if your stuck that aplies.

i did say unless its summer and winter compounds but tyre treads ect make little difference in icy conditions, also i was taught that reducing presure slightly in snow can help but yeh maybe if your stuck that aplies.

Yet more contradictory information that is dangerous. Type of tyre in winter is very important, as are correct tyre pressures. I would stick to accounts mate, you know sod all about cars. :x

We had 8-10inchs of snow here on Sunday and it is still here.

My Fabia 1.9 estate with 4 Vredestein Hi Trac tyres was/is great in the snow and ice and much much better than a Mazda 121 or Passat 2.0 TDI.

My tyres are at normal pressure but I believe a small reduction in pressure can be of some benefit in the snow and if you are stuck in snow or sand a large reduction can assist in getting unstuck.

We had 8-10inchs of snow here on Sunday and it is still here.

we had snow on the 17th, and every day since. Needless to say it has fairly piled up now (around 2 feet on top of my camper). Sadly my winter tyres are still stuck in transit. But the Octy is pretty good so long as you use good clutch control and start in second. Lots of people seem to be of the "rev it hard and spin the wheels when stuck" school of motoring though. :dull:

As in the 'winter tyres' thread, I can really recommend them as being superior to 'normal' tyres. We have a 1 in (about) 6 slope up to the house across a field. My Fabia with normal tyres forget it. SWMBO with winter tyres made it with 50mm snow, but slipped at 20 cm! Then the surprise - in getting it to a safe place I found that I could reverse it up the hill. Wow. I guess the weight was thrown onto the front wheels instead of the front suspension rising as when driving forwards. Recommended tyre pressures used. Re comments on 'use second' - this may be OK for petrols and comes from the days when everything was so. The engines needed revving to move away and first gear was very low indeed. The idea was to keep torque down so that the wheels don't spin if there is any slight slippage. With a modern diesel it isn't the same. The torque is there at the bottom and the anti-stall system will keep things moving. Normal (ish) revs in first will work quite well.

I was just about to start a new thread on this but saw this one. My furby vRS is absolutely SH*TE in the snow! I haven't struggled before when it's snowing and usually have s******ed at other drivers assuming they just can't drive when they get stuck (and to be fair most of the ones who get stuck probably can't :D ) but this year it's just been embarrassing - i've had every old granny come past me on the uphill bits. I presumed it was just a combo of small lightish car with relatively wide tyres, but just remembered I fitted some cheapo tyres for the first time at the last change (hankook I think) and wonder if they're to blame. The lack of grip on bends and braking is just as noticeable so it's not just my throttle control.

I think the anti-stall feature is a big hindrance when trying to set off too - I usually rely on the revs dipping a bit when trying to set off up a hill in very slippy conditions to know the clutch is just biting, but with the furby the engine management stops this happening - so the revs stay completely constant between when the clutch is dipped and when it's fully engaged and the wheels are slowly spinning on the spot. If there's a bit of noise outside eg from traffic coming the other way i can't even hear the wheel spinning - makes it very difficult to judge.

I did consider buying a set of spare wheels with winter tyres so I can change them when I want without having to visit the garage, but the really bad weather is so rare I can't bring myself to splash the cash.

I did consider buying a set of spare wheels with winter tyres so I can change them when I want without having to visit the garage, but the really bad weather is so rare I can't bring myself to splash the cash.

Winter tyres aren't really just for snow. Wet weather and temperatures below 9 degrees are what they are designed for. I'm just waiting for the snow to disappear so they can deliver mine. We've had snow every day for 17 days now. Getting fed up digging my driveway clear to be honest. Spent an hour at it this morning and then it snowed for an hour and I had to go straight back out :thumbdown:

Post up when you've fitted them and let us know what difference they make. I am quite keen on the spare wheels idea as I don't really push the car too much these days so don't need any more grip unless it's really icy or snowy.

Am wondering what the ideal width for snow wheels would be - rally cars always seem to run narrow tyres in the snow, presumably cos it cuts down thro the snow quicker. I like the idea of my vRS on skinny 165s or something teararsing through the snow. :D

We've had snow every day for 17 days now. Getting fed up digging my driveway clear to be honest. Spent an hour at it this morning and then it snowed for an hour and I had to go straight back out :thumbdown:

Yes, this is no longer funny! I'd already sorted my driveway out this morning - but its needs doing again, salt/grit supplies everywhere for domestic use seem to have run out and central government is stopping re-supply for domestic use as the road agencies need to get access to ALL available salt/grit supplies for road gritting! In desperation, I paid £15 for 32.8Kg of what turned out to be very wet road grit - local authority (small) gritter was in being loaded up, so I'd reckon that supply has also run out. Its the humps of ice hiding under the snow from previous snow "dumps" that seem to be causing problems, I spent a few hours late last night breaking up ice on road in estate so that some visitors could "escape" - now I'd reckon that its as bad as ever as someone with a Jimny goes dog walking a lot - and does not consider that he needs to move any snow - so messes it up for every one else - I have one 4X4 and one 2X4 but I still clear the road when it needs done - ie before its been driven on!!

Ive had to relocate to the house at the bottom of clent hills because you cant get up or down the hill anymore when it snows, thankfuly only had 2 bad days of it but its snowin now so this is going to be fun.... :dull: Even my dads 4x4 slipping all the time (mind u it is a cayenne turbo s so too much power evn at low revs!) im sure its messing people around alot! :(

You guys really have had No Snow have you? I woke on Sunday morning to 13 inches of snow!

Yes I went and cleared by driveway - 2 hours of digging snow off the drive - plus moving the attempt by the council to clear part of the road - then gave up with a huge snow drift across the road!

Here are a few pics:-

27122009210.jpg

27122009211.jpg

27122009212.jpg

You guys really have had No Snow have you? I woke on Sunday morning to 13 inches of snow!

Yes I went and cleared by driveway - 2 hours of digging snow off the drive - plus moving the attempt by the council to clear part of the road - then gave up with a huge snow drift across the road!

I was up to my knees in it this afternoon when I went out front to do some more clearing. The council are ploughing and gritting the footpaths and the main roads but residential roads are being left alone. It's OK generally 'til some plonker revs like crazy and polishes it all trying to "dig" through with their tyres :giggle: