My not so Superb in the snow

chiz

• Administrators

Hello.

Kinda funny thread as Superb is considered on of the best winter cars here in Finland. The use of winter tyres is legally enforced and most settle for reasonable size of 205/55R16.

KarriR,

What sort of tyres do you folks use?

I know you have far more snow for far longer, and grit instead of this useless salt.

The tyres were fitted today 18" Coopers Avon. What a difference. I can not believe that these tyres could make so much difference but they do. I even drove over carparks that the car could not do before and it just glided through the snow (8 inches) There has been fresh snow here today ontop of the already present ice. I would recommend that you should all go out and get winter tyres. There is no point in driving about with no confidence in this kind of weather.

I also had to tell the maxidot computer that I now had winter tyres on. Tell me if I had told the maxidot I was on winter tyres when I was still on summer tyres would it have improved the traction any?

Many thanks again. I am now available to pull people out of the snow in the Fife area.

KarriR,

I know you have far more snow for far longer, and grit instead of this useless salt.

Majority (80+%) use studded tyres like Conti WinterViking, Nokia Hakkapeliitta 5/7, Michelin X-Ice North. Usually no wider that 205 as the availability, prices and performance of the larger studded tyres isn't that great. The rest use non-studded (mud+snow) tyres, which are less noisy but considerably worse on ice.

We do use some salt in addition to grit. Although mostly on heavy traffic areas and only on very specific temperature range. None the less the use of salt is highly critized.

Though I generally dislike winter tyres and always look forward for warmer weather & summer tyres - I wouldn't ever, never think of driving with summer radials through winter. In Finland there's a reason for mandatory winter tyres - they're 1000% (ok, maybe not but anyways plenty) safer on icy snowy roads!

Get some decent 205/55/R16 M+S winter tyres on your superb and enjoy. It'll make the world of difference in driving comfort & overall feel of security during winter months.

//Juha

I've got Michelin 225 45 R17 Winter tyres on my 2 litre TDi, and have to say that we have a bit more snow here in the Czech Republic, and the car deals superbly with the conditions. The only slight issue I have is that it is fun steering down my street in the tram lines.... :giggle:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just changed over from standard 18" summer tyres here in Germany to 205/55 R16 Michelin Alpin A3 and the difference is amazing!

This morning I was all over the place and struggling to pull away at junctions, this afternoon I was driving down uncleared roads with no trouble at all (and it's hammering down with snow here right now :doh: )

I'd recommend winter tyres to anyone now, even in the UK.

I've got two Superb 2.0 CR TDI DSG's with 205/55/16" running on Nokian Tyres Hakkapeliitta 5/7 with studs on them and Spectrum 16" rims. The studded versions make more noise and wear down the road but they are a lot safer on ice, luckily they are still legal in Finland. During summers I use the original Venus/Trifid rims and 225/45/17" rubbers on them. In a V6 Passat I used 235/45/17" during summer and winter and those were fine, but I wanted smaller rims with Superb since it's brakes can handle 16" rims. Smaller rims means more rubber on top of the rims which equals less noise from the wheels. Also during winter one should remember to use more preasure in the tyres or the handling will be worse compared to summer tyres.

Only problem with Superb in snowy conditions is that it's only front wheel drive. I'd prefer 4wd but they don't make 4wd for TDI engines with DSG :(

Last 4 of my previous cars where 4wd.

Edited by mla

..., but I wanted smaller rims with Superb since it's brakes can handle 16" rims.

Just a little warning. Most Superbs can use 16" but at least the 3.6 can't. My dealer told me that 16" was OK but he sent me back home with an excuse and two bottles of read wine. I've got 17" winter tyres now with a perfect grip due to the winter tyres and 4x4.

Edited by myrgjorf

I think the 3.6 has the bigger Passat R-something brakes. With the 4 pipes exhaust one of the Alleinstellungsmerkmale. Is there an english word for this briliant german expression? :D

It translates to, Unique features.

Just a little warning. Most Superbs can use 16" but at least the 3.6 can't. My dealer told me that 16" was OK but he sent me back home with an excuse and two bottles of read wine. I've got 17" winter tyres now with a perfect grip due to the winter tyres and 4x4.

Yes. That is correct. That's why my old Passat with V6 had 17" rims, but the 2.0 CR TDI has smaller brakes that can handle 16" rims. Superb with V6 engine has bigger brakes and needs 17" rims as you said. Thanks for clarifying.