20K to spend on a car - confusion reigns

Gwilo

Short background:

Bought a VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI Sport in Sept, delivered 18th November. Everytime the temperature has dropped below 0 deg C, the damned alarm goes off. Every three minutes, no matter what.

Three callouts to VW assist, finally dumped the car at the dealers who have done naff all to the car since, though accepting there was a fault after much discussion. No sign of a resolution, so the car has been rejected and I now have about 20K to find another car.

Shortlist so far:

1. Lexus IS 220d SE-I - interesting car, lots of kit. A little short on rear room, but as that would be occassional/smaller build adults, not a major issue.

2. VW Eos 2.0 TDO Sport - probably more of a mid-life crisis car tbh.

3. BMW 318d M Sport - got an older 320d in the household at the moment. Competent car. Same applies re: rear seating as the Lexus. But dash is a classier affair, imho. Would possibly entertain a 320d SE too for the same money - bare technical figures don't seem that much different.

4. Merc C220 CDI Sport - pushing the budget a bit over to get one of these really. Look nice, but no idea on anything else.

5. Alfa 159 1.9 JTD TI - just love the look of this car. Decent fuel economy too. Still (and maybe unnecessarily) worried about electrics and build?

6. Mazda 6 2.0D - bit unsure. Looks like it's trying to too hard and not quite making it.

7. Ford Mondeo - as above....

Really need help here. Give me your views and any experiences you have of any of the above. The clocks ticking on this purchase as public transport, taxi's and pushbike isn't going to cut it for long.

I've just taken delivery of a Mazda 6 estate and I'm pretty impressed so far, although I've only done a few hundred miles so it is an initial opinion only.

Details of it are in my Brisky blog at http://briskoda.net/forums/blog/7/entry-27-andy2407s-mazda-6-estate/

The Mazda6 2.2 5dr Sport Diesel (185ps) has a list of £21,840 and I know Tom likes this engine - its the same one in his Mazda 3 Sport I believe - http://briskoda.net/forums/blog/3/entry-2-choosing-the-3/

Edited by andy2407

Passat CC is an interesting call.......but the roofline presents an issue.

@ Tom_vRS - nope, doesn't have to be brand new. If anything, given the hassle experienced with a factory-fresh car, nearly new is even more of an attractive proposition.

Edited by Gwilo

My heart's choice off the list would be the Alfa. Whether I'd actually buy one is a different matter!

The Lexus would win out of the three prestige cars... and the Mazda over the Ford but I wouldn't buy any of them - I'd prefer an A4. Or a SEAT Exeo.

What does £20k get you in a 5 series? Would certainly get a nice 3-tourer for that money :o)

I'm guessing no to an Octy vRS CR? Yeti Elegance CR170?

I'd avoid the 2.0D Mazda 6, the 2.2D is superior in every way!

And hi Joe, nice to see you back matey. :)

Out of those, I'd have a 320d SE. M-sport suspension is stupidly hard. Why BMW never learn how to do sporty suspension from Alpina I don't know. Lexus cabin is too small front and rear for me.

I was left unimpressed by a weekend with a Lexus IS. Feels deathy dull to drive IMO. Nice spec and doesn't look bad, but I'd not plough that amount into one.

I'd have an Octy vRS myself, maybe 6 months old or so, and save some cash :)

If I were going 'prestige', a suitable 2nd hand 330d SE Touring with the correct spec and colour would be where my money would be directed B)

Steve

Mate of mine had about the same to spend on a 4 door car and they let him buy a 2006 Merc 320 diesel. Nice and comfy and fairly nippy if def not sporty, gets about 40mpg so not bad

Passat CC is an interesting call.......but the roofline presents an issue.

@ Tom_vRS - nope, doesn't have to be brand new. If anything, given the hassle experienced with a factory-fresh car, nearly new is even more of an attractive proposition.

a 6 month old car is better value for money having dropped the initial depreciation,my mum got a 08 plate Ford Ka (tin shed) in sept 08 a few weeks after 58 plate came out, it had 8 miles on the clock so as new, but she paid less than 5k for it against a 8.5k list price,

Did some more digging and research (like speaking to people who have some of the cars discussed)......Alfa did not come out too brilliantly with quite a bit of time being spent garage bound. Given the fiasco with the outgoing vehicle, I'd rather avoid that.

As I'd like to keep it fairly new (no older than 2 years/58 plate), 320d is looking increasingly likely. It does mean pushing the budget a bit, but there are delivery mileage versions of the SE Business Edition going for almost 5K off list..........v. tempting.

Spent a half hour driving a mates Lexus.......it is good, but a tad dull. Comfortable......but dull. Quiet......but dull.

Actually quite gutted about the Alfa........the heart says yes, but the head just can't deal with any more hassle.

Booking test drives today of the BMW and the Mazda.

I know, different sectors, but comparable pricing for the kit.

Wouldn't buy an alfa with my own money but they are heart stoppingly pretty, I just know I'd come to hate it when it fell apart.

Mazda is a great car but not worth £20k. I'd get a nearly new to take the bite out the depreciation. Very competent but not exciting.

Audi A4 2.0tdi S-Line?

Scirocco TDi? :notme:

Bit like being put in a coffin...very dark and very cramped. Not at all pleasant.

The Audi is on the list, but seems to be a bit more variation in spec in the nearly new models....SE's with and without Bluetooth, which is one of my requirements.

Not fussed. I think saloon preferable, but ease of loading three guitars, amps or a couple of kiddy seats might mean Tourer.........good call........never considered one of those......*shuffles off to search the online stock lists*