Another but different question on headlights

RayB

Hi, my first post.

I picked up my Steel Grey 1.2 SE Yeti a couple of days ago and am still getting to grips with all the bells and whistles. I've been reading this forum, which I found via google, from way back in Sept when I was considering a Yeti, and it was your useful and knowledgeable views and comments that played a big hand in my decision.

However one thing has already confused me and hopefully you may be able to help. I’m not mechanically or technically minded so this may seem a stupid question to some but here goes.

According to the official Skoda specifications my 1.2 SE should have ‘Halogen projector headlights with DE-module’ However according to my son, (who knows more about cars than I ever will), they don’t look like projection headlights. (What’s a DE-module anyway?)

However, when looking at the specs on Honest Johns website it lists the SE as having 'Halogen headlights and manually height-adjustable headlights', no mention of projection although they are listed on the E and subseqently the S.

So can anyone please advise as to which headlights I have got?

Why this has come about is because I’m planning on going over to France/Belgium shortly and was looking at Beam Converter fixing guides. With the Yeti being so recent it is not listed. Does anyone know if the SE headlights, if we can work out which they are, are similar to any other Skoda model so that I can use that as a guide?

Thanks

Ray

Hi, my first post.

I picked up my Steel Grey 1.2 SE Yeti a couple of days ago and am still getting to grips with all the bells and whistles. I've been reading this forum, which I found via google, from way back in Sept when I was considering a Yeti, and it was your useful and knowledgeable views and comments that played a big hand in my decision.

However one thing has already confused me and hopefully you may be able to help. I’m not mechanically or technically minded so this may seem a stupid question to some but here goes.

According to the official Skoda specifications my 1.2 SE should have ‘Halogen projector headlights with DE-module’ However according to my son, (who knows more about cars than I ever will), they don’t look like projection headlights. (What’s a DE-module anyway?)

However, when looking at the specs on Honest Johns website it lists the SE as having 'Halogen headlights and manually height-adjustable headlights', no mention of projection although they are listed on the E and subseqently the S.

So can anyone please advise as to which headlights I have got?

Why this has come about is because I’m planning on going over to France/Belgium shortly and was looking at Beam Converter fixing guides. With the Yeti being so recent it is not listed. Does anyone know if the SE headlights, if we can work out which they are, are similar to any other Skoda model so that I can use that as a guide?

Thanks

Ray

Congratulations with the Monster and welcome to the club. I don't know about UK specs, but if you have halogen lights, there is a height adjuster inside the car neext to the dimmer for the instrument light. If that is the case, I believe you have to put s piece of black tape on the outside of the headlight glass to cover the nearside kicj´k-up of the dipped beam for driving on the right side of the road.

Xenon lights come on with a flash and do a little dance - bending down and out during initial lighting. If that is what you have, they can be modified for "tourist" driving on the MFD set-up page.

I'd like to know about the headlights too as I've just ordered a 1.2 TSi Se and will be travellignt o France in the summer. It would be good if they're like the Octavia Halogen lamps where you can take out the light unit and flick a lever to 'flat beam' the lights for continental driving. Much better than messing about with tape or beam adjusters.

Hi and welcome RayB,

I was also confused by this description, as to me DE (dreiachsiger ellipsoid) headlights (developed by Hella) have a round eyeball lens like those fitted to the Octavia II. Note: cars fitted with xenon also have a similar lens set-up. Clearly this is not the case with the standard headlights fitted to the Yeti.

4193674374_eab90bc451_b.jpg

Of further interest Skoda Germany simply refer them to them as Halogen headlamps, I therefore e-mailed SUK last October to query if this was a misprint and received the following reply:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Skoda Yeti.

I can confirm that halogen projector headlights with DE-module are standard on the Yeti E, S and SE. The DE module is part of the front of the headlights and is therefore present on all Skoda Yeti's of the listed trim levels.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Skoda UK Customer Services

:S

I'm more inclined to trust the Germans on this one, rather than the confusing SUK response.

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

It all sounds like advertising speak. The Halogen headlights do project a good distance - as they should - but I think that this is a case of the marketing folk getting the better of the engineers.

For example DE could mean Directional Element i.e. a lens!

Edited by Terfyn

If I remember right because our "kick-up" is to the left (facing forward) the black tape should be just below the centre line and on the offside.

Shame Skoda don't put moulding lines on the lens so it is easy to position the tape.

tom

Projector halogen lights invariably are the modern halogens that use the reflector to focus the beam, rather than the old way of using the lens.

For use abroad with halogens, if the lense has a little circle moulded into the plastic roughly centrally. If it does then that is where you centre the black sticky things.

Projector halogen lights invariably are the modern halogens that use the reflector to focus the beam, rather than the old way of using the lens.

For use abroad with halogens, if the lense has a little circle moulded into the plastic roughly centrally. If it does then that is where you centre the black sticky things.

Thanks for all your replies so far.

My dealer made a courtesy call yesterday so I also posed the question to him. He's going to investigate. (He's a friend of my son so I know he will do his best).

• 3 years later...

RayB

Did your dealer provide an answer? I too am trying to find out what the DE module is that I will be getting when my Yeti eventually appears.

On the E, S and SE models of Yeti, you get normal clear glass halogen headlamps.

It's only on the Elegance that you get HiD headlamps.

I, too, was confused when my last Yeti SE arrived that it didn't have projector lamps the same as the Octavia Mk11 facelift.

The brochures for both cars states they have halogen projector headlamps with DE module so I cannot understand why the lower spec Yetis don't actually get built with them?

Skoda marketing cut and paste job I guess?