Car Full of Snow!

This morning I left the house to clean the car of the most recent snow before heading to work, I cleared the bonnet and headlights then as I moved around the car noticed I could see the interior through the drivers window where all of the other windows were covered, I then noticed all of the snow on the seat and across the dashboard.

For whatever reason the drivers window, and passenger window have dropped since I locked the car up last night, would there be any reason for this to happen?

This morning I left the house to clean the car of the most recent snow before heading to work, I cleared the bonnet and headlights then as I moved around the car noticed I could see the interior through the drivers window where all of the other windows were covered, I then noticed all of the snow on the seat and across the dashboard.

For whatever reason the drivers window, and passenger window have dropped since I locked the car up last night, would there be any reason for this to happen?

Quite glad you put this, a sI had the same thing the other day on my passenger window, it was open about an inch. I couldnt remember being a spanner and having opened it and I couldnt see any obvious "forced entry signs".

Both of my windows were fully open, it had to happen when its snowing didn't it!

I live in a quiet street and there was nothing in the car to steal anyway, so it must have been something to do with the car.

Edited by mrski1

Both of my windows were fully open, it had to happen when its snowing didn't it!

Bloody typical eh!

Didnt realise you meant totally open, mine was just a crack, thankfully on a "mild" night.

Sounds like the cold's messing with people's convenience units. You may get away with pulling the relevant fuse for a few seconds, otherwise disconnect the battery for a few minutes. You'll need to set things like the one-touch afterwards, but it's cheaper than a trip to the dealership...

HTH

Bloody typical eh!

Didnt realise you meant totally open, mine was just a crack, thankfully on a "mild" night.

Tell me about it, it took me ages to clear the car plus I had to sit on bin bags to keep my trousers dry!

What is the convenience unit?

My son left his window open a few weeks ago, one Polo with snow all over the back seat, We found it whilst the temps were still sub zero, got the worst out by using cardboard shovel fashion so as not to mark anything & then hoovered the rest out, car was unbelievably dry ! Thankfully it been stood for a few hours before it snowed so no residual heat in the car to melt the snow

• 2 weeks later...

I went out to my Octy 2 today and found that all 4 windows were open, exactly the same opening on all windows, around 10cm. I parked the car 1 hour earlier, luckily there is no snow today, but -13 outside. So it was still damn cold inside.

Anyone have any idea what causes this...?

sitting on the key is the usual cause, or having something in your pocket apply pressure to the unlock button for a few seconds.

pressing the unlock button and holding it will cause the window(s) to start to open and your car to unlock. As you dont open a door the car will lock itself after about 30 seconds but the windows will remain open.

To the OP, does your car have rear electric wndows.

If you held on to the unlock button for a fraction too long when you unlocked the car, the windows will start to open, which might explain why snow then fell into the car.

This is what the wife kept doing until I rang the dealer, if you hold the key in the lock position for a couple of seconds the windows open.

My VRS is very sensitive to this "hold the unlock button" business which was good the other day when it was raining hard. Similarly, it will close all its windows if you hang on to the lock button which I suppose is marginally more useful. Incidentally, my wifes Octavia started opening its windows all by itself long after being unlocked. Unit replaced by dealer, hasn't re-occurred.