Heater blower speeds up in reverse?

SteveP

Not really a problem but I noticed some time ago that when I am reversing my 2004 Fabia vRS, the heater blower speeds up as soon as I select reverse, like it has more power going to it. This is without me touching the throttle. I know the reversing light comes on when reverse is selected, which should if anything use up a bit of the available electric power and you might expect to hear no difference or a tiny drop in the blower speed - not an increase.

But other circuits are in play as the systems also sense when reverse is selected and activate the rear wipe if the wipers are on, so maybe it's just some odd feedback through that circuit? Odd, but not a problem. (I hope) Anyone else notice this?

As said above, the heater goes into recirc mode to stop fumes being sucked into the car. It is also normal for the rear wiper to do 1 sweep when have the windscreen wipers on and you select reverse .

Edited by Jim H

This is due to the fact that the car automatically selects recirc when you put it in reverse. Every Fabia does this. It stops your aircon/blower sucking in all those lovely exhaust fumes when reversing! :thumbup:

Cool! And very clever. Thanks - Steve

• 9 years later...

Thanks all !  same thing with my Roomster 1.9tdi... started thinking "relays" then I remembered I'm a member here. MOT  next week and all the usual insecurities about small faults = big bills.

Oh Happy Days !    cheers.  

Mine doesn't do the fan speeding up thing. It must only be for cars with A/C. They mustn't care if you get gassed to death if you don't have A/C  :D

29 minutes ago, TMB said:

Mine doesn't do the fan speeding up thing. It must only be for cars with A/C. They mustn't care if you get gassed to death if you don't have A/C  :D

Should do, my classic MPI did.

Probably find the recirc motor is fudged,

7 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

...because it got switched on and off every time reverse was selected.

Or the reverse light switch is fudged?

Edited by Wino

38 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Should do, my classic MPI did.

Oh really? Ah well, I've never touched the recirc button since I've had the car so not too bothered :thumbup:

34 minutes ago, Wino said:

...because it got switched on and off every time reverse was selected.

Or the reverse light switch is fudged?

Reverse light switch is a genuine Skoda one and cost me £50. eek.

12 minutes ago, TMB said:

Reverse light switch is a genuine Skoda one and cost me £50. eek.

Bloody hell! If mine had cost that much I think I'd have just shone a torch over my shoulder instead!

• Haha 2

Just now, Wino said:

Bloody hell! If mine had cost that much I think I'd have just shone a torch over my shoulder instead!

:D

Thing is I'd already fitted a cheap one (Topran) and it only worked when it felt like it, so I went mad and splashed out on genuine. Hideous price I know.

• 3 years later...
On 07/02/2010 at 23:34, sausage roll said:

This is due to the fact that the car automatically selects recirc when you put it in reverse. Every Fabia does this. It stops your aircon/blower sucking in all those lovely exhaust fumes when reversing! :thumbup:

I can also confirm this does the same on a 2018 Octavia FL. I just found this thread trying to ascertain why the burners make more noise when I select reverse lol