Lloyds TSB Car purchase

Llanigraham

Just been looking on the CSMA Web site and their link to the Lloyds TSB car purchase scheme, and it looks like I could get a 140 SE spec 4x4 for about an £1100 discount.

Has anyone any experience of their system, and how does this compare with DtD etc?

Would suggest your local dealer should easily exceed this.

I'd agree. Judging from the What Car Target Prices plus my own experience of shopping around, I'd suggest that almost all dealers - of those that are the slightest bit interested in your business at least - will offer 6 - 8% off, with some being prepared to go to 10% or, via DtD or Broadspeed (the current BS offer, not the very low outlier from a week or two back), up to 11 - 12% off.

Now, if I could just bring myself to overlook the Yeti's depressingly poor dash/dial design (but it's difficult to do when every time you sit in the driver's seat there's a reminder of this failing literally right in front of you), the lack (UK) of electric chairs and could make a final choice between Steel Grey (just looks too boring and too, well, grey, in overcast conditions) and Brilliant Silver (do I really want another silver car?) then I'm ready to sign on the dotted line for a CR170 + toys.

Edited by prodata

Now, if I could just bring myself to overlook the Yeti's depressingly poor dash/dial design (but it's difficult to do when every time you sit in the driver's seat there's a reminder of this failing literally right in front of you), the lack (UK) of electric chairs and could make a final choice between Steel Grey (just looks too boring and too, well, grey, in overcast conditions) and Brilliant Silver (do I really want another silver car?) then I'm ready to sign on the dotted line for a CR170 + toys.

Don't buy one then.

It's a lot of money to spend on a car in which the main interior driver focus point you find "despressingly poor".

It does baffle me that there are people who seem to have joined just to go on and on about all the things they don't like about the Yeti.

Odd isn't it! I am beginning to enjoy my Yeti more and more. For me, it was a good choice. We "downsized" from an X-Trail and it was like moving from a truck to a car. (sports car? - not quite)

3200 miles under its belt and the Yeti is beginning to free up so it gets easier to drive. The "downsize" meant a smaller boot than the X-Trail and smaller wing mirrors but, on the upside, the (more important) engine and handling is just so much better. The seats are more comfortable and long distance driving is more relaxing, the gearchange is slick and easy (a bit too easy to find reverse by mistake) and the steering light and responsive.

Every car is a compromise but the Yeti ticks most of the boxes.

Edited by Terfyn

Every car is a compromise but the Yeti ticks most of the boxes.

I'd completely agree with that. The Yeti ticks more boxes for me than anything else available right now (else I wouldn't be here).

But that doesn't mean to say that I'm blind to its failings and chief amongst those for me - and I don't expect to speak for anyone else, although I know that at least some others agree - is the dash/dials design and visibility, which I think is poorly implemented in several respects compared to many other cars. The quandry I'm in is to judge whether this highly visible - to the driver - failing will be more than compensated by the real strengths of the Yeti in other areas. I guess I will end up taking a gamble on this - all I'm saying is that if the dash design had been more professionally done then I'd have made my decision to buy long since - it's the one thing that's really been holding me back.

I'd completely agree with that. The Yeti ticks more boxes for me than anything else available right now (else I wouldn't be here).

But that doesn't mean to say that I'm blind to its failings and chief amongst those for me - and I don't expect to speak for anyone else, although I know that at least some others agree - is the dash/dials design and visibility, which I think is poorly implemented in several respects compared to many other cars. The quandry I'm in is to judge whether this highly visible - to the driver - failing will be more than compensated by the real strengths of the Yeti in other areas. I guess I will end up taking a gamble on this - all I'm saying is that if the dash design had been more professionally done then I'd have made my decision to buy long since - it's the one thing that's really been holding me back.

Personaly I like the uncluttered simple lines and easy to read dials of snowmonsters dashboard, in MY opinion most Japanese and American are overstyled in this respect and anyway you should be looking where you're going !

I am mostly with prodata on this. The speedometer is far too small it is not properly or adequately marked out. Ideally they should be marked so that each 10 mph stands out out clearly. On a matter of safety, one dos not want to be looking at the needle for more time than is necessary. The Yeti speedometer would be less of a problem if we lived in less of a police controlled state so far as motoring is concerned, where we are preoccupied with speed cameras, concerned that we may inadvertently receive a summons for straying over what ever speed limit one has to obey. Hidden cameras some even in hose boxes, we are living in this culture of constant fear of being clocked. To make it easier and safer we need better speed monitoring equipment not worse. I am really surprised that it does not contravene some sort of standard, perhaps their is non! It is not good to have ones eyes taken from the road for longer than necessary yet to calculate the speed that is what is necessary in the Yeti, it is a retrograde in my view. The one fitted in my X-Type is excellent as are most of the BMW that I have seen. How many other cars have information clocks that are so poor.

By the sound of things this is a major issue for you, as you've been considering it for a long time. Which makes me think the Yeti really isn't the car for you.

I'm not saying for a minute that they Yeti is perfect - my personal example is that it was raining when we first looked at one, when I opened the rear door and leant in to adjust the seat I got a dribble of water off the roof run down the back of my neck - which could be very annoying when loading and unloading the children. But overall the Yeti works in other areas and I can over look this minor irritation.

I looked at a number of cars before ordering the Yeti, but there were negative aspects that were unacceptable - the Golf being miserly specifed and over price, my Wife not being comfortable with driving something as large as a Discovery etc.

Sorry for going off topic.

I actually hope that all these people who have issues with the Yeti don't buy one, that way they stay more exclusive for us (soon to be) owners ;)

I actually hope that all these people who have issues with the Yeti don't buy one, that way they stay more exclusive for us (soon to be) owners ;)

Surely your not suggesting that comments should be one sided?

The yeti is a very good car in so many respects, almost exceptional possibly but their are one or two issues with its design. One being to do with its wheels and spare another is to do with its speedometer. It is not only potential owners that have comments negatively about these issues in the past but existing owners also. I am very happy that their are some people who do not have a problem with these features, they are very lucky but as this has come up before it can hardly be ignored. Nor can it be suggested that their is no problem at all when plainly some people find that their is.

I just hope that Skoda do look at these sorts of pages, perhaps some magazines might and then perhaps their may be some some feedback. Hopefully future modifications will deal with this and an improved Yeti might be 100% excellent.

Comments should not be one sided.

But, sitting in a car in the showroom or having one out for an hour or two and deciding that because the instruments are different to what you want (or probably more likely, are used to) and therefore a serious failing is not necessarily a fair judgement.

Perhaps listening to those with a few hundred or thousand miles behind the instruments might help - I can't remember any actual Yeti owners saying that the intruments are bad. Personally, I think the clarity (ie uncluttered) presentation is superb and I don't have a problem sussing out what speed I am travelling at be it in town or out on the motorway. The external visual cues are strong enough, in my humble opinion, to judge speed within a couple of knots anyway.

All that said, if you really don't like the instruments and therefore the Yeti - bye!!

Yes, in many instances I do not use the speedometer and hardly ever glance at he rev counter but for avoiding tickets it is a must. Wales is an absolute pain so far as Camera Vans and hidden cameras are concerned and in the whole of North Wales & I do not think that they are the only region, just one mph over a limit is enough to get points on your licence, it is Zero tolerance and they are ruthless in their pursuit of "offenders". they hide cameras in all sorts of unlikely places. Supposedly Wales has a higher concentration of Cameras than anywhere else in GB. Gone are the days when a friendly traffic car might have a word or just use their common sense and watch a trend and not just the occasional over-speed. I was once told by a traffic officer "just stick to 80 mph no more on duel carriage ways and motorways and you will have no problem at all, were not interested, just so long as the traffic keeps flowing and no one is being really stupid. Well that is not true any more.

Surely your not suggesting that comments should be one sided?

Not in the least, I'm just hoping that those people who have issues with the Yeti that they consider serious will hopefully will seek alternatives and keep the Yeti exclusive for those of us who accept it's odd frailty but have stumped up the cash anyway.

I'm quite sure that if Skoda doubled production, they'd still sell every one with ease, so I for one (or rather SWMBO, seeing as it'll be hers) will enjoy the relative exclusivity of driving a newly released car that is in demand, well regarded and no doubt will attract a lot of favourable attention :)

All that said, if you really don't like the instruments and therefore the Yeti - bye!!

If only choosing a car were that simple! I'm genuinely happy for anyone who can arrive at such a straightforward decision.

The reality for me is that there's no perfect car currently made. I have (metaphorically speaking) to score each model that I'm considering. I'd like to get to some notional score for the favourite like 80% say before ordering. The Yeti scores maybe 75% and nothing else that I've looked at comes close (eg nothing else is in the 70's). So in all probability I will buy a Yeti. But I really don't believe in being uncritical about whatever car I eventually choose and whatever its other strengths - if I've got gripes about it then I'll say so.

For me, it's especially the dash design that's stopping the Yeti making the 80% mark - that's probably why I'm particularly focused on this aspect and disappointed/frustrated by it. It really doesn't cost the maker any significant extra amount to take a bit more care with this aspect of the design. I know I'm just repeating previous threads here but it's not just the speedo, it's the fact that the steering wheel is an inch or two too small in diameter so that the instruments can't all be clearly seen at the same time; it's the shroud/binnacle around the speedo & rev counter (just a tacky and counter-productive piece of styling IMO); it's the fact that the satnav screen is too low and too vertical - ideally it needs to be on the upper curve of the dash and angled up somewhat towards the driver's eyeline so that it's easy to see at a glance. It just really wouldn't have taken much more effort by Skoda to make a nice, clean, fully visible dash like eg the current Honda CRV - that's the nub of my frustration.

But all that said, I'll very probably bite the bullet in the next few days and order a CR170 - when all's said and done, it's the best-scoring car on my shortlist. (And then maybe hope that in say 2-3 years time there might be a Yeti 2 with a redesigned dash that I could trade in for.)

Indeed - as I've said before, everything in life is a compromise. Instruments and dashboards are included. In your opinion you don't like it and you have every right to your opinion. Personally, given my height and seating position etc, I can see all of the instruments, all of the time.

As for the Columbus satnav - like the instruments, I don't spend all my time looking at the screen so don't find it a problem. Directions are also shown on the Maxidot display and that's pretty much in the normal line of sight like the instruments (and I can see all of the Maxidot display as well!). The positioning of the Columbus does make it pretty much reflection-free something that might be a problem if it was mounted further up.

I'm just putting the case from the other side - as you say you wouldn't want the arguement to be one-sided.... And I wouldn't want prospective Yeti owners to think that there is a problem for everyone in reading the instruments, because there isn't.

Indeed - as I've said before, everything in life is a compromise. Instruments and dashboards are included. In your opinion you don't like it and you have every right to your opinion. Personally, given my height and seating position etc, I can see all of the instruments, all of the time.

As for the Columbus satnav - like the instruments, I don't spend all my time looking at the screen so don't find it a problem. Directions are also shown on the Maxidot display and that's pretty much in the normal line of sight like the instruments (and I can see all of the Maxidot display as well!). The positioning of the Columbus does make it pretty much reflection-free something that might be a problem if it was mounted further up.

I'm just putting the case from the other side - as you say you wouldn't want the arguement to be one-sided.... And I wouldn't want prospective Yeti owners to think that there is a problem for everyone in reading the instruments, because there isn't.

As a soon to be yeti owner I have to fully agree with what Aerofurb says above. Ive been out in four Yetis now for test drives and each had the seat in a different position when I initially got in; ive been able to adjust each and every one so I can see the instruments. Im 5ft.10. Personally I think the ergonomics of the Yeti cabin are excellent.

Lee

Yes, in many instances I do not use the speedometer and hardly ever glance at he rev counter but for avoiding tickets it is a must. Wales is an absolute pain so far as Camera Vans and hidden cameras are concerned and in the whole of North Wales & I do not think that they are the only region, just one mph over a limit is enough to get points on your licence, it is Zero tolerance and they are ruthless in their pursuit of "offenders". they hide cameras in all sorts of unlikely places. Supposedly Wales has a higher concentration of Cameras than anywhere else in GB. Gone are the days when a friendly traffic car might have a word or just use their common sense and watch a trend and not just the occasional over-speed. I was once told by a traffic officer "just stick to 80 mph no more on duel carriage ways and motorways and you will have no problem at all, were not interested, just so long as the traffic keeps flowing and no one is being really stupid. Well that is not true any more.

Sorry to hear you don’t like the speedo anthony. Most speedos read 10% high anyway so if speeding is a concern you can’t beat a separate sat nav device with a clear digital read out of current speed.

Can the maxidot display be set to give an audible speed warning! Failing that devices like the road angel look pretty neat at giving clear warning of speed and fixed cameras.

As others have said there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle its always a compromise of what ticks the most boxes.

Sorry to hear you don’t like the speedo anthony. Most speedos read 10% high anyway so if speeding is a concern you can’t beat a separate sat nav device with a clear digital read out of current speed.

Can the maxidot display be set to give an audible speed warning! Failing that devices like the road angel look pretty neat at giving clear warning of speed and fixed cameras.

As others have said there is no such thing as the perfect vehicle its always a compromise of what ticks the most boxes.

To go back to the OP's original question: I got a quote from Lloyds through CSMA(last year) for my Volvo V50 when I was looking to purchase. The CSMA/Lloyds tie up seems very secure and worry free for a potential buyer which is one of the appeals however the price I was quoted was way off the mark IIRC it was about £2k too high compared to the two localish Volvo main dealers who discounted 20% without much effort and a wee bit more when pushed.

... ive been able to adjust each and every one so I can see the instruments.

I think the range of height adjustment on the Yeti seats is amazing - I seem to recall counting 30 separate notches on the height adjustment - unparalleled in my experience. In part, visibility of the instruments is obviously a personal issue and depends on height, leg length, how far away you prefer to have the steering wheel etc. And it's also a matter of expectation and experience.

My gripe here with the Yeti is not that you can't see say the speedo needle against its gradations with a little effort, but that it's not necessarily as clear and easy as it could be. If I sit in a current Honda CRV - a vehicle I'm fairly familiar with - then the gap in the upper half of the steering wheel is large enough that you can see, in one single glance, the complete extent of both speedo and rev counter plus at least an inch or two spare all the way round; there's no question of having to move your head to check, for instance, exactly what speed you might be doing. If you get a chance, have a sit in one - you'll see what I mean. And the CRV is by no means the only car with this more thoughtful design - IIRC even the Golf scores pretty well here.

So I'm sure everyone is right - I'll get more used to it with experience and find a seat position that amounts to the least unacceptable option. Anyway, I think I've made my point on this topic so I'll refrain from repeating myself further.

I am another one in agreement with Aerofurb on this one and believe that many with concerns about the Yeti are those with little or no experience of them. When I initially sat in the Yeti I could not see the instruments properly and this did concern me, however, half way into the test drive and after finding a good driving position I could see the instruments fine. If people are worried about the instruments then take one for a good drive. Similarly, the speed markings should not pose a problem to anyone who spends time in the car. We are creatures of habit after all and take comfort in the familiar.