Where to stick it ?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Best SatNav screen location

• Windscreen sucker
    • Dash non slip base
    • Air vent clip
    • Other, please drescribe

I will be buying a SatNav for the Octy II vRS & Bolero, but need to get the mount separately.

Probably going for the Garmin 1690T widescreen.

Where and how are you fixing yours ? Where is the 12V socket ?

Thanks for your indulgence

I will be buying a SatNav for the Octy II vRS & Bolero, but need to get the mount separately.

Probably going for the Garmin 1690T widescreen.

Where and how are you fixing yours ? Where is the 12V socket ?

Thanks for your indulgence

Brodit Clips and mounts are a bit pricy but briiliant, been using them for years. The clips are car specific, had them for my 406, my X-Type, the 2 Saabs I've had, and now my Octy. Then you buy a device mount which screws onto the clip. I've had mounts for my old Garmin 660 and my Tomtom 720 (now no longer in my possession) attached to the clips

I hate the windscreen mounts, and had mixed success with vent mounts, not sure the Octy vents are really suitable, and my Saab ones definitely weren't!! As much as the non slip dash mounts appeal, I just can't see them staying in place during "spirited driving" :)

Here's a couple of pictures of my iphone mounting, but I'm thinking about getting another Tomtom and will get the holder for that as the sat nav on the iphone is ok, but when people call me I lose navigation until I restart the app... I'll then get another clip for the phone and probably mount it on the right hand side of the car - but can see me changing my mind several times before that happens ;)

I'm planning on hiding the cable behind the dash and finding a fused supply for it, but at the moment I've used cable ties to keep the cable tidy from the 12v socket which is down by the gearstick

13022010041.jpg

13022010042.jpg

Fitted both the Garmin, iPod and cables into the dashtop box. When nav in operation, some velcro keeps it in work position and provides all the needed angle adjustment. Similarly, the iPod is operated off the HiFi and conveniently close to the interface box fitted at the side of the glove compartment. Most of the time everything remains hidden yet functional, with minimum disruption and/or damage to the car parts.

(Sorry, should have updated my profile: Oct 2 MY2005 TDI Combi, 103 kW/140 HP, 78,000 km)

Edited by zzonyx

satnav_mount.jpg

Widescreen Navman S80 fits neatly just above vent on the right side of the window. Traffic antenna cable routed behind trim and along base of windscreen. 12V cable on extension from power socket, behind centre console, across footwell above pedals and up behind rubber seal around door opening.

The whole lot can be removed and cables placed out of sight in a couple of seconds - having had sat nav nicked from a previous car I don't leave anything on show!

satnav_mount.jpg

Widescreen Navman S80 fits neatly just above vent on the right side of the window. Traffic antenna cable routed behind trim and along base of windscreen. 12V cable on extension from power socket, behind centre console, across footwell above pedals and up behind rubber seal around door opening.

The whole lot can be removed and cables placed out of sight in a couple of seconds - having had sat nav nicked from a previous car I don't leave anything on show!

I have mine in normally that position with its internal antenna but it also works from the side window too. I mostly use it for speed camera reminders, so I'm looking for a weighted base to sit in the dashboard 'trough' so I don't have to faff around with suckers, making them stick and cleaning the marks left.

I voted 'other'. My current vRS has MFD2 but my new one in March doesn't. So I plan to put mine on a Garmin friction mount put put the friction mount in the dashboard top storage, I also want to get a 12v supply into the top storage. I'll be buying the Garmin 1690t too, there are various friction mounts available, including a newly redesigned one from Garmin.

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread :angel: , but ‘Darrenw’ mentioned that he uses the desk-dock USB connection to keep the TomTom powered. I like that idea, but is this type of connection solely on the vRS or is it the iPod connector in the armrest of the Octavia Elegance, of which I have on order.

Again, sorry for diverting the thread, RoystonB

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread :angel: , but ‘Darrenw’ mentioned that he uses the desk-dock USB connection to keep the TomTom powered. I like that idea, but is this type of connection solely on the vRS or is it the iPod connector in the armrest of the Octavia Elegance, of which I have on order.

Again, sorry for diverting the thread, RoystonB

You need a lighter socket USB plug like this http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=488681

Plug the USB cable in and Robert is your mothers brother. :thumbup:

Not the neatest fix but it works.

I use the dash top box open - with some carefully placed velcro and a carefully drilled hole for the power cable

I'm tall so it does not affect my view ( even of the bonnet )

So no round circle on the window or mount on show for the thieves

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

I have one of those Brodit vent clips and found it too far forward

If anyone wants it pm me with an offer

Took the radio and dash box out - see VRSTU's website octavia-vrs.com

I already have run a 12v ign wire from the fuse box

then the 12 to 5v psu is tucked down the side - just be real careful making a hole in the box watch the hazard switch and it wires

It does not suit everyone and some say it blocks your vision - ( you need to be tall :rofl: )

drive around with the box open for a bit to get used to it

HTH

Edited by InexEng